Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox modding questions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

You wanna play backups of games you own? I doubt that somehow

Dam you found me out :o

So id have to flash the drive, is that hard to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Smudger

any 1 want their xbox360 modding let me know
    65 inc delievery back to you:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Newbie 360 question here.....Whats the advantage of flashing the drive ???

Can I play backed up DVD+R Xbox 1 games ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

They would have to be re-ripped and burned to a DVD+R-DL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

This may be in the wrong place but hope someone can help me.

Ok to start its an original xbox which was initially chipped with an xecuter 3 and a 160GB hdd.

The fault was that the xbox would flash three times and then no sound or picture. When the mod was disabled the error 06 came up meaning that it could not unlock the bigger hard drive. (I think)

The xbox would allow me to enter the backup by holding down power and eject and so I tried re-flashing the chip to no avail.

Would delete current flash and then get stuck half way with new one.

I re-checked all my solder points which seem to be fine and I got a new Xecuter 3 CE re-flashed that over network and all seemed to be fine for about ten hours and then the unit had the same faults again.

Any clues on this plz lads would be greatly appreciated as I've been messing about with this for ages.

I know that the motherboard and HDD have to be paired on an original xbox but can you use a different HDD to just Softmod it??

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Apologies for probably ANOTHER newbie question, but I'm thinking of buying a 360 and just want the capability of playing backed up games.

I'm not familiar with soldering etc... which is the best and simplest way to facilitate this?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

One of my original games is giving me trouble(lots of scratches)MidtownMadness so I thought I would back it up onto my pc to make a copy. I have no problem ftping my xbox as in I can see all the folders on the xbox HDD. The problem is when I stick a game into the xbox drive and then double click on the d: icon in my ftp program it says there is no files in this folder. I have tried both the dodgy game and other games that work fine but no joy, any ideas why I cannot view the files on the dvd game via my ftp program when there is a game in the xbox drive?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Hi guys.
    I've managed to softmod my xbox, and I now have XBMC running. Problem is, even during the installation when trying to ftp the box, my pc wouldn't connect. First problem was, I wasn't using a crossover cable!:o
    Sorted that, but still nothing.
    Now, I'm vaguely familiar with IP addresses and the like, so I'm assuming that's probably the reason I can't connect. I'd like not to mess with my pc's IP address if at all possible, so is there anyway of setting the xbox ip address to get them talking?

Also, what's the handiest way of upgrading the hdd?

Thanks guys.

As far as I know Soarer it shouldnt be a problem. I think the xbox by default is 192.168.0.1 or .2 where as my pc is 192.168.1 instead of .0. So I think if you just change the xbox ip addy to 192.168.1.x via your Evox dashboard they should start talking. So when trying to connect your pc to the xbox your pc browser would look something like this "ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.1.x with x being what ever number you give your xbox. Something I always do is well is to close my Z/Alarm, good luck

Cubix

Excellent Cubix, thanks.
    Will give that a go later.

Now, anyone know about upgrading the hdd? I know I'll need to get the ftp thing working first, but still....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Heres a good guide to upgrading to a bigger HD.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=244043

*edit* why is this thread here? It diverts traffic from the console modding forum.

That's exactly the kind of guide I was looking for!
    Genius!!

Nice one CiaranC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Has anyone tried the latest NME chip for the 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

hey, anyone wanna fix/buy my stock 1.6 XBOX with a broken hdd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Regarding the softmod using the Agent under fire exploit as shown here..

http://biline.ca/xbox_ndure.htm

Has anyone done it using the classic version of Agent under fire? Is that the same as the original version?

TIA

Kevin

KleeFarr I found my classic "splinter Cell worked a charm. For what ever reason yours does'nt work drop me a pm and we can organise something

Cubix

B-Man when you say broken HDD, are you sure its the HDD. I am going to try and fix my softmoded one(softmod got screwed up) this weekend using the XboxHDM/hotswapping method suggested to me by Ongarite. ITs up to you but I have a mate who is in college in carlow and comes back up to dublin most weekends. We could do it on a no fix/no fee basis, if your interest pm me and we can arrange a meet

Cubix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

K im not gonna obther reading through all these pages tbh coz theres so much... And im a noob anyways at modding things... So, why exactly would you be modding your 360? LIke what difference will it make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

couple of reasons

Upgrade your HDD to a higher capacity
    Backup your original games and play them from the HDD, makes the games load faster, and you dont run the risk of scratching disks etc.
    Install a MediaCenter app such as XBMC (Xbox MediaCenter) to play your video files or stream other stuff over the internet (even Youtube videos!)
    Use DAAP to play iTunes content from your library
    Use Kai to play System Link over the internet (no need for Xbox Live subscription!)

and a host of other reasons...

EDIT: Ah ... misread... didnt see the "360" in the last post.. Still, similar concepts. Firmware updates to the DVDROM will allow you to play backed up versions of games etc.. Little bit cumbersome to do (AFAIK), and as yet, no HDD modding available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Stephen!

AH, thats well handy! Didnt no you could do things like that! SOunds really cool. But once you mod it its not under guarantee, BLEH:mad:

I've managed to do the softmod as explained on www.biline.ca but...

Got the dashboard alright and can FTP to the xbox. I was copying E,C, X,Y and Z over to my PC but for some reason I lost connection, but I know that works and will try again tomorrow. I did manage to play an original xbox game alright and loaded the save game for it. Not tried a backed up game yet though, but I don't expect any problems.

The only problem I have had so far, is trying to play a DVD. The DVD shows up on the dashboard as D: Video. When I check the settings it looks like it's set to play DVDs from the F: location, but it doesn't matter what I do, I can't change that setting to play the DVD from D: location.

Any ideas please?

EDIT: SUCCESS!

Found dvd2 at eurasia. Everything working fine now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 rover2200

if you dont want the hassle of tryng it and perhaps breaking it i think it would be wise if you bought an x box 360 which has all of that but if you are looking for a bigger hard drive than the orinagal x box 360 buy the new x box elite concle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 newmarket

What to go for - anyone has experience on SmartXX v3, as seems there are mainly Xecutor's out there?

Looked at http://www.mod-chip.com/index-cart-us.php?go=en/select_xbox_main.htm and SmartXX v3 sems the one to go for?

Anyone has SmartXX v3?

Thanks in advance,
    Newmarket..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭That Guy 901

Hey,

Im available for Xbox 360 flashing. Some of you might already have had your xbox flashed by me already. Ive done over 50 flashes in the past couple of months and about 20-30 of these were Boards.ie members.

Check out my website here:

www.360flashingireland.com

€25 for a single flash, you can drop it up to me in Swords and I will have it done within 30-40 mins.

You can also send it to me via post. This is €40 including return delivery. Total turnaround time is about 4 days.

Any questions, let me know or PM me. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,474 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I just got a Xbox Original Crystal from a boardsie today for the princely sum of €60 which was nice.

From reading up on modding the box and my fear of destroying it by soldering, a softmod seems to be the way to go. "ndure" seems like a good choice I think (any comment on that?).

Am I correct in thinking i now need to get a copy of either mechassault, 007 Agent under fire or splinter cell? The guy I bought it off gave me Enter The Matrix and Rainbow Six 3 - but I don't think these are suitable for softmodding?

Anyone have one of the three games (or any others that would suit too) mentioned above available for cheap or know where I can pick up a copy for cheap?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote: »
    I just got a Xbox Original Crystal from a boardsie today for the princely sum of €60 which was nice.

From reading up on modding the box and my fear of destroying it by soldering, a softmod seems to be the way to go. "ndure" seems like a good choice I think (any comment on that?).

Am I correct in thinking i now need to get a copy of either mechassault, 007 Agent under fire or splinter cell? The guy I bought it off gave me Enter The Matrix and Rainbow Six 3 - but I don't think these are suitable for softmodding?

Anyone have one of the three games (or any others that would suit too) mentioned above available for cheap or know where I can pick up a copy for cheap?

I know it may be a bit late :rolleyes:..

But I used the 007 Classic version disk and bought it off Ebay new for a few Euro.
    Not looked back since. :)

Anyone developed a PC emulator yet? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Anybody still modding xboxes?
    Just want to get a softmod done with XBMC stuck on, can anyone help me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I've used this guide several times. No need to buy any software. You do need to have a newish game to update the dash to a late version (any game after Halo 2) and you need to have a spare PC that you can mess about with unplugging the IDE cables when it's on.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496263

garthv wrote: »
    Anybody still modding xboxes?
    Just want to get a softmod done with XBMC stuck on, can anyone help me?

It's really quite easy to do.

Tutorial here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭tullachBuí

Just for peoples info, if your looking for an original XBox, try Gamestop (in Dublin anyway) got a Crystal Xbox for 20 quid. Perfect condition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dexterfletcher

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me out. I'm using a crossover cable to link my PC and Xbox so that I can FTP between them. I'm having trouble getting the two of them to talk. I tried to ping the Xbox from the PC but no joy. I've tried a raft of different websites, Ip addresses etc but still no dice. Anyone have a fool-proof solution?

Advertisement