Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox modding questions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by elmer
    soldering is much more secure than pogo pins - a nice pin header negates soldering the wrong points and allows for easy removal(of the chip).

It's the wiggle bit you mention about pogos i don't like. it can be hit and miss and if you are transporting the xbox a good bit then it's much more likely for the pogo pins to become dislodged than a soldered pin header

but like i said they'll probably do the trick for most people. especially if you're afraid of killing the board. but if you buy a seperate pogopin adapter it'll cost you an extra 25 to 30 quid - you might aswell just get someone to do an install for you at that cost.

a solder install will take about the same amount of time - or you could just do a tsop flash instead of bothering with chips at all and be even faster

well, when i mention wiggling, im not taking about shakin the shít out of it :)
    more a case of half a millimeter.

with regards the pogo board, well, some of them dont need one.

the reason i mentioned the whole debate on pogo pins and solder is simple.
    its advice for first time modders.
    its not an advanced course, you gotta break it to fix it an dall that.

i mean, you wouldnt give a learner driver an F1 car would you?
    well, i dont see the point in making things difficult for the first time modder.
    the reason i mention slayers is because i spent about 3 weeks researching modding, and when it came down to it, until i did it, i had no clue what it all meant.

i just installed the chip, flashed it, and ran the slayers cd. and everything worked.

if you are going to start soldering pins, flashing the bios with weird software, unlocking drives, adding your own flavour of evox dashboards and then trying to make it all work and then start trying to ftp about the place, it may just be alittle bit too much for some reason.

i think the emphasis should be on the simplicity of the set up.
    unless you are just going to buy the kit and give it to someone to install :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

i agree with you - but anyone who has soldered before and is in any way good can easily solder in a chip and guessing about the people who frequent these boards i'd say there'd be quite a few who can solder but have never tried modding.

my first chip was a matrix back on an original(v1.0) xbox and the thing was a pain. Once i got soldering it was joy :) though.

I know that the alignment issues have been reduced when installing them. like I said pogo pins will do the trick for most people but soldering is more reliable and personally i find it easier but that's purely because i've done it loads of times and i hate having to allign pogo pins when i come accross them.

I dislike also having to pay extra for either an adaptor or a chip with them on them.

i see a big difference to soldering a chip than to reflashing etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

It seems some people regard the pogo pins as difficult to solder in but in fact they are very easy..what most people have difficulty with is the Do point which is on top as it is very small... I know there is an easier Do point underneath the board but if you are an exerienced solderer its quicker to do the top one rather than taking the time to take out the motherbard... aslo some insulating tape over the chip while sitting on the pins and taped to the board will secure it nicely, initially I soldered to pogo pins and never had a machine returned but it is less hassle just soldering the chip directly to the board (-;

OK I appreaciate that some people will be fine with soldering?
    personally id rather not, although i can.

but is there really any reason to use solder?

the only thing i can see so far is to stop movement of the chip during transport. I totally agree with you on that, by the way, but for those out there, is there any performance differences?

also, im not too sure about the cost difference between solder and non solder chips.
    to be honest, i was looking for a pertiicular type of chip, and i found it in the executer 2.3b lite+ (or whatever its called, i mean surely the could have added on a few more bits to that name?:)), but i actually didnt check out the cost of the solder version (is there a sodler version?).

by the way, i only mention these things, because i think its important for anyone considering modifying their xbox to know the pros and cons of both versions of a mod chip.

i mean, i think modding an xbox is easy, but then again, ive done it a few times. the first one i attempted too hours, i wasnt sure what i was doing (even after weeks of research) and it was the software and bios flashing that stupmed me more than the actual chip tbh!
    so, people may be good at soldering, but wsit til the come up with that bloody cromwell bios screen attempt after attepmt after attempt at bios flashing!

what, you mean it cant read cd-r????!!!

AARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!

Originally posted by qBot
    that's one thing i never looked at. how would u go about doing that. do u need any special equipment?

EDIT: Actually more to the point. what is it exactly. I presume it's where u actually flash the onboard bios of the XBox?

EDIT Again: just looked it up on www.xbox-scene.com. so i got the answers i needed. Tell me though, is it hard to do?

I missed this when you originally posted it - tsop flashing is easy in that you need to bridge 2 points - on earlier xboxs(v1.0 and v1.1) you have to bridge one on the top and one on the bottom - the later ones allow you to do both on the top. you can of course solder them but a piece of tin foil placed properly will let you write the onboard chip too.

I've used 007 agent under fire to do it but mechassualt and splinter cell can also be used.

the disadvantage to doing it is that if you screw up you'll have a good bit of trouble - but you can always just install a mod chip anyway.

• Advertisement

WhiteWashMan

it provides better contact - it's really as simple as that. there's no performance difference apart from reliability in terms of it being a lot less likely to become dislodged.

for the x2.3lite family - the plus has pogo pins the normal lite doesn't. cost difference is about 14 - 18 stg as far as i can see.

I hit the flip side on my first xbox - the chip wouldn't align properly but the cd-r red fine. I've yet to find one that wouldn't read my padded(putting a 200m dummy file on the disc so the actual data is in the middle of it) cd-r after a few goes. sure a cd-rw is better anyway you can resuse it :).

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one - we're both right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

I missed this when you originally posted it - tsop flashing is easy in that you need to bridge 2 points - on earlier xboxs(v1.0 and v1.1) you have to bridge one on the top and one on the bottom - the later ones allow you to do both on the top. you can of course solder them but a piece of tin foil placed properly will let you write the onboard chip too.
    not a bother

I've used 007 agent under fire to do it but mechassualt and splinter cell can also be used.
    i read on xbox-scene that u need to telnet in after and run a few commands to flash.. is there any version that is fully automated? not that it's much of a problem but it would just make it so much faster

the disadvantage to doing it is that if you screw up you'll have a good bit of trouble - but you can always just install a mod chip anyway.
    Ya, you'd be in a pickle alright... once u install the modchip though is it still possible to reflash the tsop, u could use the chip as get me out of jail card then..

yeah you're refering to raincoat - it uses the exploit to boot a linux kernel. raincoat is the best because it's the only way to erase and write winbond tsops. you can get other exploits that boot to evox or other dash of choice.

you're taking a risk in the first place tsoping - i find it more comforting to telnet in so you do the backup and the write and then be done :) the only problem that can really arise(apart from using the wrong size bios or losing power during write) is that the chip won't erase but that's fine - you just need to check your contacts.

i'm not aware of an automated version of any of the exploits but i've never gone looking for one ;)

depending on how screwed up the tsop is then you could restore it with a normal modchip - but if you leave the chip in there it'll be fine booting off the chip. you can get drastic and get a chip(29 wire) that bypasses the tsop rather than the normal ones that just boot off the debug(lpc) area of the board. if you cut the right wires you can then reflash the original tsop but it's intricate soldering

Nige

WhiteWashMan

it provides better contact - it's really as simple as that. there's no performance difference apart from reliability in terms of it being a lot less likely to become dislodged.

for the x2.3lite family - the plus has pogo pins the normal lite doesn't. cost difference is about 14 - 18 stg as far as i can see.

I hit the flip side on my first xbox - the chip wouldn't align properly but the cd-r red fine. I've yet to find one that wouldn't read my padded(putting a 200m dummy file on the disc so the actual data is in the middle of it) cd-r after a few goes. sure a cd-rw is better anyway you can resuse it :).

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one - we're both right ;)

no bother, it was really for my own research, not out of some reason to argue :)

luckily, ive got loads of cash, so paying the additional 15 quid for an easy install is not a problem, but like i said, i knew i wanted one to start with so didnt bother with pricing or researching solder chips.

as for the cd thing, i just went and bought some cd-rws and there were no problems. just me not reading properly when everyone said 'dont use cd-rs, they dont always work'. my bad :)

to be honest, since i installed slayers dash, i have had no reason to change anything, although, if there is a better ftp app, could someone let me know. the one on there is so badly coloured, i cant actually see anything. would like to start transfering movies to my xbox, via xbox, and not via pc. ok ok ok, i know, its anal, but there you go :)

as for linux on an xbox? no seriously, get a life ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

@elmer - cheers lad.. think ill use this method from now on.

@whiteman - your cd-r issues has probably got to do with what dvd drive u have. If u have a samsung model (denoted by two circles at either side of the tray) u should have no problem reading cd-r's. The other models don't support them that well. Obviously though, if u can't read them it means u don't have that brand drive.

• Advertisement

Qbot - one thing i forgot - the later copies of agent under fire have been patched - should be no trouble using splinter cell or getting it seeing as everyone has a copy anyhow :)

Whitewashman - the ftp app i like is also a file manager - xtoolbox - if you put it into the apps folder on the e: then slayers should pic it up - i think slayers already uses dvd2xbox for copying files to the hd

Nige

i already use that for copyinf disks to the hard drive and its all in built.
    the trouble is the defalt ftp app that slayers uses, or picks up, or whatever it does. i dont like it. i cant use it.
    i want to know if anyone can suggest any other :)

with regards teh cd-r issues, not really an issue anymore. i got cd-rws :)
    and yes, i now know about these things, but a pain in the ass for a newbie it was!

xtoolbox or dvd2xbox? i find xtoolbox very handy for ftping between xboxs

Nige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I really don't like the idea of onboard soldering with VHLI circuits.
    I wouldn't even solder a nand gate to a breadboard, instead I'd use a socket and push the chip in afterwards.
    Soldering resistors is ok, but applying heat directly to a pin on a processor, or to a trace running straight to an IC is a bit of a worry.
    That said, soldering a simple EEPROM chip to the pinouts on another shound't be too hard.
    You would need a proper setup (light, mag glass, microsolder, resin flux etc) and be able to spend as little time as possible applying heat to the pin.
    Exploding chips don't make nice sounds.

the points are large enough(if using underside d0) not to require anything more than a normal soldering iron(15w - 20w) - a fine solder bit would make life easier though. pin header is the handiest install if the time touching the board is of concern to you.

If you happen to end up with a v1.6 console then the usual pogopin/no solder install isn't going to work. at present the latest xecutor bios does not support the new decoder chip used on the v1.6. the latest evox bios works fine.

here's a link to the underside points that need to be soldered. it's for a cheapmod(256k sst based chip)

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=250154

here's the smartxx link which will work for xenium and xecutor too

http://www.smartxx.com/download/smartxx_quickinstall_16_v2.jpg

If you're not good at soldering don't try this - the points are small and the risk of burning the board is high

as always any questions give me a shout.

Nige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

anyone put linux on there xbox? im just after puttin gentoox home onto the E drive ( takes up 3.5 gigs ). Anyways i have it all setup, but using the on screen keyboard is way 2 slow. So i wanna get pc to xbox usb convertors plus a usb keyboard and usb mouse( if that would be recommeded or will the controller do instead). So i was wondering does anyone know where to get these usb convertors cheap with cheap delivery. I found one US site sellin them for $5 each but if they only use DHL 1-2 delivery for europe which costs $22, so thats out of the question. So if anyone bought them cheap, please let me know where, tx in advance

anyone put linux on there xbox? im just after puttin gentoox home onto the E drive ( takes up 3.5 gigs ). Anyways i have it all setup, but using the on screen keyboard is way 2 slow. So i wanna get pc to xbox usb convertors plus a usb keyboard and usb mouse( if that would be recommeded or will the controller do instead). So i was wondering does anyone know where to get these usb convertors cheap with cheap delivery. I found one US site sellin them for $5 each but if they only use DHL 1-2 delivery for europe which costs $22, so thats out of the question. So if anyone bought them cheap, please let me know where, tx in advance

Never tried linux myself but you could make the cable yourself with a controller connector and a pc usb cable. I got one before but can't remember where - i'll see if i can find it

Nige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

when you install linux, enable VNC (gentoox asks you this)
    connect the xbox upto your pc with a crossover cable
    change the pc ip to 192.168.1.10
    change the subnet to 255.255.255.0
    change gateway to 192.168.1.1.

install winvnc viewer, (google for it)
    vnc into 192.168.1.13 user xbox password xbox, (i think)
    this will bring up the xbox desktop on your pc,
    you can use the pc mouse and keyboard to control it

this i slow and only good for changing settings and stuff,
    its to no use to play the games or watch an mpeg although you could probably watch them on the telly and control them on the pc,

tx for the info, im actually just lookin for a keyboard and mouse to use the internet etc, so i dont have to use the pc.

Cheapest usb convertors i found where here :

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=83&products_id=2154&

10.42 EUR each plus about 5 euros delivery

And the somebody was nice enough to post this in bargain section for me:

http://www.marx-computers.com/

USB mouse and USB keyboard , 15 euros each plus 7.50 euro delivery i think

Its gonna be expensive enough to get it all setup. I dont live in Dublin so i have to order online as i dont wanna be ripped off locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

AFAIR you could just buy a bog standard USB extension cable, and an xbox extension cable, chops the ends off and pair the wires. There was a 'guide' on xbox-scene.com for it, have a poke around the tutorial section if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

lol buy 1 usb convertor from lik-sang.com and it costs 10.42 euros , buy 5 and it costs 15.76 euros( 3.15 each)! , and the delivery is the same. All i want is 2 but i'll give the others 2 friends. Lucky i checked again. Rip off UK sites are selling them for £10.00 each.

lol buy 1 usb convertor from lik-sang.com and it costs 10.42 euros , buy 5 and it costs 15.76 euros( 3.15 each)! , and the delivery is the same. All i want is 2 but i'll give the others 2 friends. Lucky i checked again. Rip off UK sites are selling them for £10.00 each.

can i be your friend, and if it comes to it can i be your friend with a €5 and willing to meet you in the city somewhere ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

could i be your friend also
    Pete
    Pleasssssse :)

sorry had exams last week....im afraid i'll have no spare usb adapters left, im keeping 3 for myself and selling 2 to a friend. It only comes to about 21.50 euros including shipping so one of ye should buy them and sell to the other person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

While this thread is here to help people mod their X-box I draw the line at people buying and selling the stuff in this thread. Use pms, further conversations will be deleted without warning.

oops, sorry amp :o

anyone know if the xbox high definition packs improve the appearance of linux on a normal tv and will they work on pal xbox's?

An example of one here:
    http://www.whitedog.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=432

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone in Dublin who'll chip and setup a modded xbox?

Cheers :-)

Advertisement