Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox modding questions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I can do it. I'm in Bray. Send me a pm if you need details.

I'd use the XBIT Chip which is excellent in my opinion. I've done two X-boxs with this chip and 120GB Drives and have had no problems.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

I thought bray would have been too far out for a dublin mod - i've just moved to bray - i install cheaper chips which i guess would take the price down a bit. standard install of apps and emulators including an aladdin advance is ?60 from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ghostdogkilla

can anyone do it in limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

€60 for installing a €12-15 chip?? And considering all the apps are posted free on net it seems a bit steep..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

if you get the chip ill put it in and install all the apps too if you have a hard drive to put in i will do that too how much will you pay for the install?
    Pete.
    Ps. I can meet in most places around Dublin and ive done loads of install on them too with no problems

• Advertisement

heh heh, how low will you go....

The XBIT Chip is 62 Euro. You get the chip and the bigger hard drive, and I'll put them in for you no charge. It will take about an hour. I use Media Center as my Dashboard and I'd recommend it to anyone it's great.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

there is always www.modchipsireland.com
    he done mine, no worries whatsoever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ghostdogkilla

yeah but posting off the huge breezeblock that is the Xbox will be a load of hassle, not to mention further expense....

You know, the best thing to do is do the job yourself.

Putting in the chip (no solder required) is a piece of cake, especially if you've ever seen the insides of a computer.

Flashing the chip with a BIOS can be more tricky, as you have to select a memory bank, flash it, then set jumpers, but even this is explained in the instructions.

After that, you load your new dashboard by creating an ftp session and transferring files to the hard disk.

After that it's open season. I've done my xbox which is a limited edition crystal one and my friends which was an older normal black one. It's really simple and you should give it a go anyway.

If you need help or anything then give us a shout!

Cheers

thelad wrote:
    ?60 for installing a ?12-15 chip?? And considering all the apps are posted free on net it seems a bit steep..

where are you getting the chips for ?15? apps are indead free but if you're able to source your own apps etc then i'm sure you be adventurous enough to install a no solder chip yourself. I've had no complaints about the price before - I also don't charge if the box has to come back to me like if there's a bad flash of the chip or some of the hard disc contents get deleted or if the chips comes loose(hasn't happened)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

All the same, 50 euro for about an hours work is pretty much the going rate whn it comes to securing persons skilled in the trickery of computers and silicon chips and microchippery these days.
    I bought a premodded PS2 from modchipsIreland and I can honestly vouch for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

Thanks a mill to elmer who to did a crackin job for me.. v professional - highly recommended!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

thelad wrote:
    €60 for installing a €12-15 chip?? And considering all the apps are posted free on net it seems a bit steep..

Do you install Chips? If not do you work for free? The man is entitled to call his own price and it is not a bad price, again where can you get the chips for at that price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Do you install Chips? If not do you work for free? The man is entitled to call his own price and it is not a bad price, again where can you get the chips for at that price?

Got the price from a search on Yahoo and ordinary lpcs could be programmed to do the same thing and they are even cheaper....have fun with your xbox lphchild (-;

thelad wrote:
    Got the price from a search on Yahoo and ordinary lpcs could be programmed to do the same thing and they are even cheaper....have fun with your xbox lphchild (-;

fair enough - the ones i get are more but from a trusted source.

do you do much xbox modding? - your comment about using ordinary lpc chips is very misleading - firstly there's only step by step instructions for 1 specific 256k sst lpc chip - aladdin advance and similar use this chip also(1)

have you ever resoldered the LFRAME because you decided to build your own mod for a 1.3+? :rolleyes: - i linked to the details before on this thread

it's not worth it for the extra few quid you'd save compared to buying an aladdin or similar - of course you'd have to get hold of a programmer or hotswap in order to program your blank sst chip :cool:

that said if you've a v1 - 1.2 you could build your own lpc chip(refered to as cheapmod in the xbox world) or if you've a 1.6 you can use it too - once the lpc is rebuilt that is :p

Nige

(1)http://warmcat.com/milksop/cheapmod.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Thinking of picking up an xbox to mod and use as a media centre with a bigger hard disk. I've found this this thread really useful and think i'd be confident enough to do it but i still have one or two questions.

1) if i get an xbox now, say a new black or crystal one from game, what version am i likely to end up with? I think that i could install a solderliss xecuter chip in an older version but i wouldn't have a clue on how to do an lpc rebuild (from what i've read the motherboard has changed dramatically in v1.5 and 1.6 is that right?)

2) is the DuoX chip that they use on modchip ireland good? I can't really find any reviews on it and i have noticed it only costs €15 to buy so what is the quality like?

any help will be appreciated, but especially on the first question, cos i think i'd be majorly screwed if i bought the xecuter chip and xapter and then found out i'd a v1.6 xbox

Thinking of picking up an xbox to mod and use as a media centre with a bigger hard disk. I've found this this thread really useful and think i'd be confident enough to do it but i still have one or two questions.

if you're used to fiddling with electronics/pcs you'll be grand
    1) if i get an xbox now, say a new black or crystal one from game, what version am i likely to end up with? I think that i could install a solderliss xecuter chip in an older version but i wouldn't have a clue on how to do an lpc rebuild (from what i've read the motherboard has changed dramatically in v1.5 and 1.6 is that right?)

EDIT: didn't realise the crystals were back - last time around they were v1.4 - as for the black one it really depends on how long they've had their stock. i suppose your best bet would be to buy the chip after you've opened the xbox - that way you can see if it's a 1.6 or not. the rebuild would be nasty as a first timer - not impossible though
    2) is the DuoX chip that they use on modchip ireland good? I can't really find any reviews on it and i have noticed it only costs ?15 to buy so what is the quality like?

don't know alot about this chip - the cheapest i've come accross them is 29 euro so you might aswell buy and x2 or buy an aladdin.(i like aladdins ;) )

any help will be appreciated, but especially on the first question, cos i think i'd be majorly screwed if i bought the xecuter chip and xapter and then found out i'd a v1.6 xbox

well the xapter would be useless and you'd be best getting someone to install your x2 for you.

Nige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Thanks for the reply elmer, it's cleared up some of those questions, was only asking about the DuoX in case i get a v1.6 box (i'm in limerick and the only chippers i know of in this area are modchipireland- come to think of it i don't even know if they're in this area :)).

I think that i'm either going to get a 2nd hand xbox (which would increase the chances of getting a pre 1.6 one), or wait until after halloween to get a new one as i read somewhere that there is another price cut on the horizon.

again, thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Ya.. the new crystal xboxs are 1.6's alright. check here

i'm in limerick and the only chippers i know of in this area are modchipireland- come to think of it i don't even know if they're in this area

I'm based in limerick and mod xbox's for anyone who is interested. Just send me a pm :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭lardboy

Another big thumbs up for elmer. He's just done me an install and I'm very happy with it.

He's a good bloke as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Anyone know of any good value 160/200Gb HDs for the xbox. the cheapest site i've found is www.jes.de but i was wondering does anyone know any cheaper sites. Secondly, after 160Gb HD is partioned, how much space is actually left( same for 200gb) ? Any info would be much appreciated.

I think on my 160gb seagate barracuda i have a formated capacity of 148gb. Kinda sucks huh!. As for cheap hard drives i get mine from www.komplett.ie. Works out bout €101 after postage but from a quick look at jes.de it seems cheaper before postage atleast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

if any ones interested my friend in limerick chips xboxs and ps2 console hes quite quick if any ones interested give me a pm and ill gives his mobile number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

peterk did mine, top fella!

2 questions to ask:

Firstly, my friend is getting an xbox for free off a friend of his but the HD is meant to be broken(not physically). The xbox hasnt been modded. So he's wondering can this xbox be modded with a new HD . I have a modded xbox myself in case he might need eeprom etc.

Secondly, I've just ordered a 160Gb HD for my modded xbox( version 1.1 with xecuter 2.3b+ chip). At the moment i have the retail HD, so im wondering what i exactly have to do 2 put in this new HD. I dont really understand all this locking stuff. I have the slayer 2.5 disc.

If anyone could answer these questions it would be much appreciated

btw tx for the info qbot, i went for the samsung 160GB HD for 79 euros off www.jes.de myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

@kaisersose77
    where you based mate i can give you a copy slayer 2.6 if you like its got everything updated and has an option to format a new drive by the way you may need to flash the chip with a newer bios too namely X2_4983 iwhich i can also give you,
    If you are not sure about doing it i can do it for you a oh and ask your mate if he would like me to take a look at his xbox
    Pete

Thanx for the offer, i just really wanted 2 know was it just a matter of taking out the retail HD and puttin in the new one and then puttin in slayer cd(my bios supports big HDs)?Im not in dublin anyways so it wouldnt be worth the hassle.

Do u know if, my friend just put a chip in and then a new HD and then slayer cd 2 , would that do?

Thanx in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

there is a tool available called xboxhdm. its basically a mini linux distribution with support for fatx partitioning, cloning and other useful stuff plus eeprom based locking and unlocking tools. basically you dump the eeprom of the xbox in question copy it to specific location in the xboxhdm folder run a batch file to create the bootable iso, burn and boot. just put your stock xbox hard drive as primary master, cd drive as primary slave and the new hard drive as secondary master.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=244043 <- nice tutorial there.

• Advertisement

Thanx for the offer, i just really wanted 2 know was it just a matter of taking out the retail HD and puttin in the new one and then puttin in slayer cd(my bios supports big HDs)?Im not in dublin anyways so it wouldnt be worth the hassle.

Do u know if, my friend just put a chip in and then a new HD and then slayer cd 2 , would that do?

Thanx in advance

slayers will sort you out :). is the other xbox giving an error on boot or what happens when you try to boot it? it really depends on what's wrong with the xbox. but if it's just the hd then he just needs to put in a mod and then use the slayer disk like you'll do to prep the new hard disk

Nige

Advertisement