Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox modding questions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Thanx for the replies, well my friend is after gettin the xbox and has being told that sometimes the HD doesnt seem to work, but its working at the moment, so he shouldnt have any problems at all if he can mod it asap.

@elmer, do i have to unlock the retail HD first with config magic or something like that before i take it out( i havent clue about this locking stuff, all i know is u have to have ur HD locked for xbox live which i dont have and wont want), or just simply swap it with the new one and then use slayer again?

Thanx in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

no need to unlock the hd unless you plan on using it for something else. but i'd recommend leaving it intact so you can use it as a fallback if anything goes wrong. Don't forget to ftp off anything you have on there that you might use such as save games etc. best bet is probably just to ftp off the e drive(and f if applicable) and then ftp the stuff back over when you're done with slayers.

the hd locking is only required when you plan on using the retail bios/disabling the chip such as when you'd use xbox live

I prefer fire****ers xdisk myself but they both do the same job :)

Nige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

hey all,

Am new to both the boards and to Xbox Chipping. I want to get my Xbox chipped so I'd greatly appreciate if someone could advise me on a few things :)

1) Whats the maximum capacity hard drive the Xbox can take? Also I assume it takes a 3.5" IDE drive?

2) What's the difference between modding your Xbox using a chip, and using a softmod or exploit? (anything else apart from the ability to use Xbox live using a chip?)

3) Do all chippers load all the software necessary to create game images etc. or is this something youll have to sort out yourself?

4) Is there any software that can rip a DVD to avi or divx directly from the Xbox DVD drive?

5) Have any of you used the 'xbconnect' (http://www.xbconnect.com) alternative to Xbox live? And is it any good?

6) I'm looking for somewhere to get my Xbox chipped. I've seen the modchip ireland site, but I'm kinda worried about posting the thing, might get damaged in transit. Anyone know where they are based? I'm actually living in Cork, so if anyone here knows of anybody in the city that can chip an Xbox please let me know!? :)

Thanks!

Doxy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

doxy wrote:
    hey all,

Am new to both the boards and to Xbox Chipping. I want to get my Xbox chipped so I'd greatly appreciate if someone could advise me on a few things :)

1) Whats the maximum capacity hard drive the Xbox can take? Also I assume it takes a 3.5" IDE drive?

i don't think there's a max apart form the lba48 max anymore. biggest i've ever installed has been 250gb standard ide drive btw
    doxy wrote:
    2) What's the difference between modding your Xbox using a chip, and using a softmod or exploit? (anything else apart from the ability to use Xbox live using a chip?)

softmods have come along way - i still would prefer a chip but i suppose for functionality probably not alot of difference - not sure if you can install a bigger hd if you use a softmod - probably can provided you've a pc or chip modded xbox to sort out the prepping and locking of the hd
    doxy wrote:
    3) Do all chippers load all the software necessary to create game images etc. or is this something youll have to sort out yourself?

i guess it depends on the installer - but i'd presume most would - either way you can get what's needed via www.xbox-scene.com
    doxy wrote:
    4) Is there any software that can rip a DVD to avi or divx directly from the Xbox DVD drive?

i guess you could do it via linux but i haven't come accross an app directly - so i suppose no would be the answer
    doxy wrote:
    5) Have any of you used the 'xbconnect' (http://www.xbconnect.com) alternative to Xbox live? And is it any good?

i've used it briefly - seams good but it's for system link games rather than xbox live ones
    doxy wrote:
    6) I'm looking for somewhere to get my Xbox chipped. I've seen the modchip ireland site, but I'm kinda worried about posting the thing, might get damaged in transit. Anyone know where they are based? I'm actually living in Cork, so if anyone here knows of anybody in the city that can chip an Xbox please let me know!? :)

Thanks!

Doxy

ask him :) - i'm in bray if you want to post it to me ;D

Nige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mobile04

200 euro chipped you conlose dvd region free
    120 gig samsung hdd installed
    plus a few other games on the hdd

also theres xbox media player plays the lot avi divx xvid vcds the lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

For ppl who use xlink kai (never got it 2 work myself), they have gotten the kai engine to work on the linksys wrt54g router, meaning no need 2 have ur pc on at the same time. The modem itself can be got for around 65-70 euros on german sites( just search it in www.idealo.de, £50 on www.amazon.co.uk ). I think i'll definitely be purchasing one of these. Heres a thread about it:

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3265&sid=a96f8dd560bfdc485663b79ba7dd9136

And half way down the news page

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

[hope this is ok in this thread] im looking to buy some copied xbox games if any ones interested just send me a pm[not looking for old games just ones which are coming out next week etc]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

snoopdog wrote:
    [hope this is ok in this thread] im looking to buy some copied xbox games if any ones interested just send me a pm[not looking for old games just ones which are coming out next week etc]

That's fab snoopdog. Of course it's ok to ask to buy illegal copies of games. While you're at it why not ask to buy some cocaine?

Pm me in a weeks time and I might let you back into games. Please be aware that I'm being nice because you seem a bit dim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

hey guys, im probably doing something stupid but im not sure what

i got the xecuter lite 2.6 chip with xapter

i fitted the xapter as the guide says(http://www.kanection.co.uk/page.php?xPage=xapterinstall.html)(is that all i have to do???)

the blue lights come on but i dont get the blue cromwell screen

also when i turned the xbox on for the first time there was a bit of smoke from the external switch, i thought it must have been an led blowing but i wasnt sure as all the 3 leds still work on the external switch

anybody got an idea?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I installed a the same chip with the xaptor and had no problems using these instructions.

Have you checked all the little things, like the chip being enabled, the xapter being in place? Also what version of xbox are you modding, cos you know the xaptor won't work with a 1.6.

• Advertisement

yeah the chip was enabled and it seemd to be working as the lights are on

but no cromwell screen

the chip makes no diofference wheter its switched on or off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Well, ive been looking at this as an option for christmas, and it looks like a mighty fine idea.Just thinking though, what are the possibilities. So far i've come across. (including the obvious)
    1. Multi Region Games
    2. Storing your games on HD, so no need for CD
    3. Putting Music on you Xbox
    4. Running a OS
    5. Storing your DVD's on your xbox
    6. Networking your Xbox to PC
    7. Emulation

So what other things can be done with a modded xbox, and new HD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

well to be honest all a modded xbox can do is run unsigned code
    :D

now what sort unsigned programs are available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

madrab wrote:

Never used the xadapter but it sounds to me like the d0 point isn't being connected by your adapater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

madrab wrote:
    hey guys, im probably doing something stupid but im not sure what

i got the xecuter lite 2.6 chip with xapter

i fitted the xapter as the guide says(http://www.kanection.co.uk/page.php?xPage=xapterinstall.html)(is that all i have to do???)

also when i turned the xbox on for the first time there was a bit of smoke from the external switch, i thought it must have been an led blowing but i wasnt sure as all the 3 leds still work on the external switch

anybody got an idea?????

did the dvd drive open when you booted it up?

no it just booted up normally with the green xbox flubber screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

so it booted fine as if there was no modchip installed at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

I ain't used an xadaptor but I once installed a modchip that showed the same symptoms as yours. It turned out that the d0 point wasn't connected properly. So make sure that the point pointed to in the picture below is touched by your adaptor. I maybe way off here but this is what seems to me as being the problem. The picture is an example of a 1.5 xbox..u may have a different version box. If it's a crystal version then the adapter isn't going to work as savemejebus pointed out earlier. I hope this helps. Just to state the obvious..their is only one point, the picture below for some reason shows the same thing twice.

d0_prepped.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Hi I was just wondering does anybody have a spare Modchip for sale as i just got another xbox and got rid of my credit card a few weeks ago soi can order another one i wass thinkin of a softmod but i honestly want to beable to switch it off for live and keep it standardish if anybody has something let me know please.
    Pete.

I've been looking for someone to chip my xbox for ages. The only one I've come up with so far is a guy who is willing to do a softmod (no chip) for me. I can live without xbox live, but I'm wondering if I'm getting a fair rate?

I am supplying my own hard drive, so all he is doing is the soldering bit and putting EvoX onto it. He's asking for €100. Does that seem a bit steep to anyone?

Cheers
    Doxy

• Advertisement

Honestly yeah, when you can get it done by modchipsireland for €80, which includes modchip, emulators etc then it seems a bit much for a softmod. (i know softmods are trickier than installing a chip but i was offered a better rate than that for a softmod). I know that both Elmer and Qbot mod xboxes so contact them and see what they say

In the end i decided to give it a go myself and it all went well (have an executer 2.6 and 200gb hdd running smoothly now)

Cheers,

Yea, I kind of thought as much. I'll probably look around for a better deal. Failing that I might give it a go myself. Anyone know of any modders in Cork by any chance?

i think modchipsireland are based in cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

soft mod requires no soldering

what he must be doing is overwriting the TSOP (original m$ chip)

that means he is getting €100 for 30mins work, and it only costs him a 1/2 inch of solder per xbox.

yea........defo...seems a bit pricey for just that....i might chance the modchipsireland bunch......

have any of you got it done from them? are they good?

They use the DuoX2 chip.....is that a decent chip?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

The DuoX2 is a decent chip, and modchipsireland is reliable alright ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

The DuoX2 is a decent chip, and modchipsireland is reliable alright ;)
    Do these chips start up disabled by default? With the current Xbox Live issues, I rather make sure I don't start up the box with the modchip on by mistake!

LK

The DuoX2 is activated by turning on the xbox with the power button, if you want to start with the chip disabled, just switch on with the eject button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Hmmm... so if my girlfriend switched it on to play a DVD, she had have to remember to switch it on with the eject button. It's not exactly fool proof!

Any chips out there that are better in that regard ?

LK

P.S. Thanks for the quick reply DM2!

• Advertisement

Unless you can get a chip with built in mind reading.. thats the best you`ll get :D

Otherwise a switch can be fitted externally ;)

Advertisement