Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox modding questions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

elmer wrote:
    if you can wait a few days get it direct from antex http://www.antex.co.uk - i've ordered from them before they're quick and atleast you can get the 0.12 solder bit from the too

everything has arrived.. modchip, hard drive, solder iron.. so i had a crack at it tonight but.. got nowhere!

the solder wouldn't run down the pin's so i couldn't get any kind of a connection at all. this is probably due to the fact that i forgot to buy flux or.. bad soldering skills. (is it possible without any flux?)
    i also didn't get the 0.12 solder bit (probably should have)... just used the one that came with the antex 25w soldering iron.. seems a bit big but nonetheless it looks ok for the job..

i'll give it another go tomorrow when i get the flux.. just hoping i havn't caused any damage by the mess i've just made :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

i think it comes with a 1.0 bit - although i guess i'd be good enough it really does make life difficult for you - a 0.5 atleast would have been handier and it was only 3 quid or so to get an extra bit.

that said my advice would be to try out getting the solder to stick to one of the very big square points that have solder in them already. afaik any solder you get in the shop these days has flux in it anyway.

get the solder on the iron and go from there - i'm toying with the idea of taking a few short videos of soldering techniques but we'll see if that comes to fruition

oh and when doing this never do it over the board in case of splashes

Nige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

huray, all done!
    got some solder with flux inside today, which made the job way easier.. the stuff i was using must have been 10years old..
    i was just hoping all along that my board wasn't a v1.6 .. turned out it was v1.2 thank god
    anyway, thx elmer, giblet, ciaran500 for the advice

p.s: ftping to the xbox is fcking fantastic! :D

glad you got it sorted - it's a great feeling to have done it yourself and not killed anything :)

i guess the moral of the story is to get flux :)) or in this case solder with flux in it

happy ftping

Nige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

does anyone know is there an easy way to edit names for the list of emulators? for instance so you get nes instead of fceultra, snes instead of xsnes9x etc? its for the kids who use it, not me :p

• Advertisement

you'd need to edit the evox.ini and put static entries in - it's picking up the names associated with the default.xbe file - i think you can edit those but i've never given it a try

firstly the evox.ini is on the c drive - take a copy on to your pc in case the edit screws up

so in your case because firef uckers disc was used you'd need to find this bit of the ini

Section "Mediaplayer"
    {
    Line "--- Mediaplayer ---",1
    Line "
    ",1
    Item "Xbox Media Player - XBMP","e:\Apps\Mediaplayer\XBMP\default.xbe"
    Line "
    ",1
    SortStart
    AutoAddItem "e:\Apps\Mediaplayer\"
    SortEnd
    Item "MS-Dashboard - Audio/DVDPlayer","c:\xboxdash.xbe"
    Line "
    ",1
    }

Section "Emulators"
    {
    Line "- Emulators -",1
    SortStart
    AutoAddItem "e:\Emulators\"
    AutoAddItem "e:\Apps\Emus\"
    SortEnd
    }

basically copy these lines

Line "
    ",1
    Item "Xbox Media Player - XBMP","e:\Apps\Mediaplayer\XBMP\default.xbe"
    Line "
    ",1

and change the label and path and stick it above the SortStart in the emulators bit like it is in the media player bit

So i guess it'd be something like this:

Section "Emulators"
    {
    Line "- Emulators -",1
    Line "
    ",1
    Item "Snes","f:\emulators\xsnes9x\default.xbe"
    Line "
    ",1
    SortStart
    AutoAddItem "e:\Emulators\"
    AutoAddItem "e:\Apps\Emus\"
    SortEnd
    }

because it auto adds all the accessible folders in the emulators directory you'll still have xsnes9x down the end

If they're eager enough to play them games they'll find them ;) kids are smarter than us old folk anyway ;)

Nige

cheers nige, ill give it a whirl

excellent. worked perfect. thanks Nige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Got this today

Dear Member

Jan has been very busy for us so as a little thank you, simply use \' feboffer \' as the coupon code at checkout for 15% for the next 7 days.

We have over 100 new products that will be added in next 7 days so keep your eye on our site.

Regards

Consolesandgadgets

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Well hello,

Frequent flyers in this thread may be interested in supporting the Console Modding forum. The more support it get's the better it's chances of being created. And if it's created then you can stretch your legs and not be cramped in this megathread.

CLICK ME FOR HOT MODDING ACKSHUN!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 halflife

anyone put linux on there xbox? im just after puttin gentoox home onto the E drive ( takes up 3.5 gigs ). Anyways i have it all setup, but using the on screen keyboard is way 2 slow. So i wanna get pc to xbox usb convertors plus a usb keyboard and usb mouse( if that would be recommeded or will the controller do instead). So i was wondering does anyone know where to get these usb convertors cheap with cheap delivery. I found one US site sellin them for $5 each but if they only use DHL 1-2 delivery for europe which costs $22, so thats out of the question. So if anyone bought them cheap, please let me know where, tx in advance

Why dont you telnet or SSH into the XBOX ? This is the only way to run gentooX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Quball15

Hey everyone,
    i badly need some help and advice. Me and my dad are trying to mod my little bros xbox with the xenium ice solderless chip. It seems to have installed alright..the leds work fine when xbox is on. But the xenium os doesn't boot up when i start the xbox and i tried creating the evox boot cd but wouldn't recognize the disc...keep in mind i've never modded before. Is there anythin i've missed or done wrong? do i have to reinstall the chip or do the alternative d0 point? please any help is really appreciated!

so the xenium leds light up ok? you might have a blank chip but this should cause the xbox to power on/off 3 times and the leds to flash red/green the third time.

Do you know what version of xbox it is, i.e. is it a new one or is it old.

if you're doing solderless you won't be able to do the alternate d0 as it's on the underside of the board. you'd only be able to use it if you were soldering the chip in

I get the feeling form your description that the xbox isn't seeing the xenium properly either due to misalignment or it being the wrong xbox version

Nige

well its a crystal xbox and its version 1.4 off the top of my head...so can i fix it or is it screwed up completely?
    thanks for replying btw!

do the xenium leds light up? sounds like the console is fine - you can't really do much harm with a solderless chip anyhow.

I take it you've had the xbox for a year or so then? the new crystal xboxs form christmas are 1.6s and won't work with a solderless xenium(unless anything has changed in the last few weeks)

best suggestion i would have would be to remove the chip and just try from scratch again - go through the install guide again to make sure it all looks right

Nige

ok cheers dude, so if all works properly...the xenium os SHOULD boot up when i start up? then i can change to evox...

well yeah - it's possible that it just can't read your evox disc but from your description i don't think this is the case

hey,
    we got it working last nite woohoo....i think what was wrong was that the solderless adaptor wasn't aligned properly...a lot of people seem to have issues with the solderless. if i was doin another one i'd prolly try a solder chip cus they seem eaier to install once you know how to solder. but anyway, got xenium os up and running, then swapped the hard drive...installed evox bios and dash and then got it networked to my laptop, but thats as far as i got cus i had to go back to dublin...but its great now and can't wait to get back tinkering with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭thomj42

hi, i might be going over old ground here but i'm being driven slowly mad so please help anyone who can.
    i have an xbox 1.0, just bought the xecuter 2.6ce chip and the Xapter.
    everything was going fine until the d0 wire, i tried for an hour to get the wire into the hold but it wouldnt go through (i think the hole is filled) i tried clearing it out with a pin but no go.
    now eventually the "springwire" from the xapter to the d0 has snapped because of my brute force.
    can I somehow solder the do wire in place while using the xapter? or is it time i gave up and found someone who can fit it proper?
    another question- does the solder method use a differnt d0 connection to the non-solder or is it just the same hole but on the other side of the board?
    sorry to be such a newbie! thanks

it's a shame you broke the xapter - i think i have an old solderless adapter knocking about - i'll take a look - it'd work on a 1.0 console and if i can find it it's yours

on the question - yes there is an alternate d0 on the underneath of the board. if you look at the 2.6 install guide it'll have a pic. it's easy enough to solder on but make sure you have a low watt(20w) soldering iron and a reasonably small solder bit and steady hand :)

depending on location i might be able to help you out with the install if you don't want to risk it

Nige

• Advertisement

thanks nige, i'm as we speak braving the soldering iron and trying to use the alternative d0 you mentioned thanks for the tip.
    if i screw it up i just might take you up on the offer- im in blanchardstown dublin, hopefully it won't come to that though, thanks again

ahh nightmare!
    i though i as doing quite well until i tried to power it up...
    reboots 3 times then just sits there with red and green lights flashing on the front of the console. nothing on the screen at all
    in frustration i disconnected the modchip completely and the problem is still there! \
    is there some simple explanation do u think, or have i somehow knackered a perfectly good xbox?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Just to let people I have put up a fully modded xbox in the for sale section, all modding is done and XBMC latest version is installed along with loads of other things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 feliwilli

Hey man i cant help you with internal mods but i can with case mods. Check out my gallery at www.xb-t.com. Click on the gallery button, and go into my (feliwilli) gallery. Have fun

thomj42 wrote:
    ahh nightmare!
    i though i as doing quite well until i tried to power it up...
    reboots 3 times then just sits there with red and green lights flashing on the front of the console. nothing on the screen at all
    in frustration i disconnected the modchip completely and the problem is still there! \
    is there some simple explanation do u think, or have i somehow knackered a perfectly good xbox?

sorry missed that question - it turned out to be the top d0 had been severed

only course of action at this point is to bridge the alternative one with the trace on the top that leads to the d0

I got it booting but only with the chip on - due to the delecate nature it was better to leave it that way rather than trying to repair the trace again

Nige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Ok I have a crystal xbob (v6 motherboard) and I'm looking to get it modded. I'm looking for the chip, soldering and supply and installation of a larger HDD. Anyone know who that can do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

This may sound like a stupid question to the experienced modders and that. But I just got an x-box crystal myself and was wondering what are the advantages of modding your x-box?

I've heard of one to chip it and install linux so as to run an ftp server but are there any other reasons why I should look into getting mine done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭savemejebus

sprinkles wrote:
    Ok I have a crystal xbob (v6 motherboard) and I'm looking to get it modded. I'm looking for the chip, soldering and supply and installation of a larger HDD. Anyone know who that can do this?

Elmer, posts in this thread alot, does it ( in the Dublin area i think) while www.modchipsireland.com do it by post, or if you're in the Cork area you can drop the box off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭savemejebus

iregk wrote:
    This may sound like a stupid question to the experienced modders and that. But I just got an x-box crystal myself and was wondering what are the advantages of modding your x-box?

I've heard of one to chip it and install linux so as to run an ftp server but are there any other reasons why I should look into getting mine done?

hmm if you look at the earliest posts in this thread you'll get a good idea but in a nutshell you can

•Backup Xbox games & DVD movies (that you own) to the HDD
    • Run emulators
    •Use the xbox as a media centre playing AVI, XVID, MPEG 1/2, REAL MEDIA, VCDs, SVCDs, Divx files and DVDs without a dongle
    •Run all sorts of cool homebrew apps
    •Run linux
    •Browse the interweb and lots more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Actually can anyone answer this, why can't you just simply copy a cd of mp3's over or play them? Do you need to rip an audio cd to the HD in order to have them on there?

Advertisement