Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions re: boardband ( i'm an idiot)

• 22-04-2004 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

I am living in swords at the moment and am on utv this is month 10 of the 12 month contract, i am moving to Julianstown in Co. Meath in a week or two,now here comes the many questions :P

A) I've never really used more than 3gb a month so download caps are not that important to me, i'm all about the speed and 24/7 access so considering this what would be the best broadband package for the new house(cheap as possible as well please, i'm used to the 48:1 ratio)

B) Can i manually check on a website if the different broadband packages are availabe in my new area. ?

C) When the utv contract is up (2 months) do i get to keep the modem/filters and if so would it be possible for me to connect to utv in the new house with some sort of reduced fee because they do not need to supply a new modem.

D) What's the installation fee for the different bb providers ?

E) Will i have to pay a fee if i want to cancel the utv bb package i have now and if so are they rigid with the exact amount or will the fact that i'm 12 months into it make a difference( i doubt) or if i offered to take utv up in my new house would they waive the disconnection fee ?

F) Are utv the only ones that require you to switch your phonecalls over to avail of bb ?

E) Whats the best 56k isp package ?

F) Whats the general waiting time for set up of bb by the main providers ?

Ok the last few i can most likely answer by checking out the relevent websites which i'll do now but i thought no harm in throwing them out there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and you know add in personal experience with the bb providers to give me a jest of what i'm dealing with, thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

UTV own the modem and will want it back if you end your contract. I dunno about the filters. As far as I know UTV are the cheapest at the moment, with €30/month but that requires you keeping on their phone service.
    If you use esat for calls, IOL is probably the way to go.
    Eircom is more expensive but probably the fastest, especially if you're into playing online games.
    If you can get the phone number of a neighbour where you're moving to and plug it into eircom's availability checker thing on their site, it will show if their line passed the test initially. If it did, then yours probably will too.
    Not sure of install fees, but UTV's is 99 euro.
    Not sure about terminating the UTV contract either, they might have to charge another install fee because eircom are going to charge them to set up a DSL user on the exchange anyway.
    UTV are the only ones that require you to switch over your phone calls. You can switch your calls to esat to get a cheaper rate on IOLBB, or stick with your current provider and pay a few quid extra per month.

56k stuff? No idea any more :)

I had to wait about 10 days to get set up on UTV. Your mileage may vary.

Personal experiences: UTV has been flying this past week, but it was brutal around easter. They seem to have fixed it, and pings in online games have improved too but they're not at the same level as pings on the likes of eircom/iol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

The following is not from first hand experience at all and is just gotten from reading these boards.

A) Eircom (UTV/IOL seem to have more problems)

B) If you can get one you can get the rest.

C) Modem remains property of UTV (i believe) so you would have to return it in theory, dunno in practice tho.

D) Vary so i suggest you check sites or ring.

E)To cancel before your contract is up you might. Have to ask UTV. You will however have to pay installation again at new address as Eircom will charge UTV (as previous poster said) to enable to port at the exchange.

F)Yes tho you get IOL cheaper if you do it with them as well but its not compulsory.

E2)no idea

F2)no idea tho it seems anything from 10days to a month. More towards 10 recently it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

anymore info/personal info when dealing with utv ? thank you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

afaik there is no DSL broadband in Julianstown County Meath either as its such a small village but some form of wireless broadband could be available there.

Originally posted by Gonzo
    afaik there is no DSL broadband in Julianstown County Meath either as its such a small village but some form of wireless broadband could be available there.

Out of interest where did you get your info ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eircom Website, only exchanges in County Meath that have been upgraded to Broadband are Navan, Trim, Ashbourne, Dunshaughlin, Dunboyne and Clonee with Kells and possibly Ratoath coming soon I think. EsatBt also have a broadband exchange in Navan.

Originally posted by Gonzo

:( i can't go back to 56K, THE HORROR

I'm gonna have to look into this wireless broadband option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I live in Navan and am getting www.digiweb.ie wireless service as soon as pay day comes around.

It seems to be a good server and costs 89 Euro to set up with a monthly fee of 38.99 for there homewave service, which is a 512K service with 8gb cap and 36:1 ratio, there are a few people on the boards using it, I sent an email to digiweb enquiring about it and got a reply back within two days they seem quite helpful here is an excerpt from their reply.

"We do have wireless available in Navan. It works on line of site, so it depends upon if there is anything in the way. We set an 8 inch square box on your roof, or it can even be extended above that on a pole. The transmitter is in the IDA Industrial Park, so if there is line of site to that, and you are within 5 km or so, then it shouldn’t be a problem.

The connection is Ethernet. Xbox is ok – officially. Gaming in general is fine. Pings can be about 100 milliseconds. We have in the works to put in dedicated servers for xbox and for playstation to make things even faster. Can update you on that.

Access point can be wherever you would like."

Not sure if you can connect from Julianstown but I'd give them a call or email to find out.

Recently I also heard on the boards here thay are upgrading their connectivity to the uk to make there connection even faster.

Advertisement