Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Software

Options
  • 22-04-2004 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Is there software. free or otherwise, that will allow me to practice playing Texas hold em? Before I get thrashed by real life (TM) muppets, I'd like to get in some praccy.

Anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Most of the online poker sites allow you to play with Fun Money against real players.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I'll try some of the sites in the sticky then.

What about software for off-line play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

I've tried a few of the free ones, but tbh they look so bad that I couldn't stand seeing them for more than five minutes or so. There are a few $100 ones that look nice and have a ton of features, but I refuse to pay for them :)

I always think, "I could write it myself if I _really_ wanted to" =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

There used to be a WSOP game but it was a while ago. In fact it was DOS based so it was a long time ago. It was pretty poor anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

There is some free software available on www.simplypoker.com (also Omaha). To register you must send a serial no to the site and receive a key to play properly.

The software is quite good with some nice features including advice (96o, Fold this Hand. There will be better hands, Be Diciplined :-)), advanced player profiles but I found some of the betting erattic especially when looking at all of the cards after the game, although this is probably more like real life than I suppose!

Rgds,
    Ed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I bought Tournament Holdem from Wilson Software - http://wilsonsoftware.com/ - mainly because I heard it was used by a lot of proffessionals to practice. It's got a WSOP model you can play and it's pretty good practice indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Those programs look good but wow they're expensive. Do you think they're worth it Muso?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well $60 isn't that huge really. I went halves with careca on it and we both use it regularly. It's far from perfect but does model a proper tournament game quite well. You can have different standards of players in the tournament and they will play differently so I would recommend it.
    You can set up custom tournament structures for practice. For example a model of a Sunday night game in the fitz with about 60 players etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

You could always head over to FHM .com and get their software. Its the dogs genitalia and it is very pretty.

You can play with play money plus its against other people which helps you to learn.

Ill put a link up when I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Well they have cleverly hidden the direct link on me so do this:

1. Go to www.fhm.com

2. Pick the games button (you all know where it is!)

3. Click alien number 5, most extreme right guy for you numerically challenged dudes

4. Select Download >> Download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Click Here
    Download
    Setup

and hop on over to the free tournament tables. They are good practise. The free live games are not very good for practise. Free tournies however do require skill to "keep" winning.

Advertisement