Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Default Webpage Keeps changing

Options
  • 22-04-2004 3:03pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Strange one here..

A mate of mine has a PC running Win98, IE6SP1..

A while ago he downloaded some application and it installed a heap of other junk
    including a searching bar that attached to toolbars in IE..

I managed to unintall all the programs except on which says it needs to be
    connected to the internet to uninstall, which when this was done, needless to say
    just reinstalled everything again..

So I managed to delete all files relating to this, remove any entries in the registry,
    and reset back the default webpage to google..

Reboot the PC and its back to the way it was even though there is nothing running
    in the background only systray and explorer.. I do it again, remove all entries and
    reboot the PC and sure enough its back again..

So I run msconfig and check through everything there and sure enough, nothing..

Ive also reinstalled IE6SP1 again and all updates..

Anyone any ideas about this?

Its either find some utility that will remove it or just rebuild the PC, which to be
    honest is the last thing he wants to do as it will take forever with the amount of
    crap he has installed on it, between hardware and apps and the data as well..

Cheers

Tox

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

He says he used both of these because I suggested adware immediately as soon
    as he told me his problem.. but I might run spybot just to be sure.. :)

Any other suggestions should this not work???

Tox

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by bedlam
    Were the ad-aware pattern files uptodate?

Ya see thats the thing, I dont know... I didnt check the version and it only dawned on
    me that I should have, so Ive just downloaded Adware ver 6 and spybot ver 1.2..

Ive also downloaded that hijack this software and see how it goes..

Thanks for all the help guys, if this doesnt work, guess what Ill be spending all
    day saturday doing... :rolleyes:

Tox

Advertisement