Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sata + Abit Ic-7

Options
  • 22-04-2004 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    I have an ABIT IC-7 Mobo with 120GB + 80GB HDD's, Im looking to buy a 200-250GB sata drive, the Mobo has 2 x sata connections on it, are these plug and play or would i have to install the drivers before hand?

I will probably be ghosting a XP install onto the sata drive, will there be any problem going from IDE to SATA?

When you ghost, do the original partition and other one have to be the same size?

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

You may have a problem if you want to use this as your OS drive. Since the ghost is from an IDE and it does not have the SATA drivers already part of the OS. The current versions are funny that way, on initial install of WinXP gives you the option to install SATA drivers from floppy (i think only?). So basically your ghosted WinXP won't know where the hell it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I've done this with IC7-G, which is pretty much the same board with some extra features.

You have an option in the BIOS on how to treat SATA drives, specifically for the purpose of making DOS programs recognise the drive. It will make a SATA channel emulate an IDE channel.

It's not trouble free, you have to ensure that there's nothing connected to the IDE channel. I had a slave drive on the IDE channel and tried to make my SATA drive into the master drive - doesn't work.

So, unplug all drives from one IDE channel, leave your main (Windows XP boot) drive on the other channel, and set up the SATA emulation in the BIOS.

You'll see the drives in the bootup screen, the SATA drive will show up in the primary or secondary IDE channel, depending on how you had it set up. And ghost will recognise it.

There's no issues ghosting to a larger drive. You can even ghost to a smaller drive, providing that the data on the larger drive doesn't exceed the capacity of the smaller drive.

I'd advise you to install the latest drivers before ghosting, to make sure Windows XP can recognise the SATA drive. Or you might end up with an unbootable installation.

Advertisement