Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random reboot in Windows XP

Options
  • 22-04-2004 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

I'd been plagued with Windows XP rebooting without warning, seemingly at random!

I can't think of any occasion when it's justified for an operating system like Windows XP to cause you to lose ALL your unsaved work by rebooting without warning so this is what I did to stop it:

1. Right click My Computer and select 'Properties' then click the 'Advanced' tab
    2. Click the 'Settings' button in the Startup and Recovery area.
    3. Under 'System Failure' UNcheck the box that says 'Automatically Restart'
    4. Click OK then click Apply.

That does the trick!

Obviously it's not the best solution in the long term and you should try to find out what is causing the system failure if you can. Go to START Run and enter: SIGVERIF.EXE. This will list all the unsigned device drivers on your computer.

Mine was caused by Roxio CD burning software fcuking up so I uninstalled it and used something else.

;)

Yay

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

All of these bugchecks are logged in Event Viewer.

IF you expereince a phantom reboot, check out the event viewer for a possible answer who the culprit is!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Microsoft way of hiding the the BSOD, lets hide it by restarting the computer.

Advertisement