Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BA or B Sc

Options
  • 22-04-2004 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

In psychology whats the difference here, the college i can get into only do the BA, just wondering whats the difference and how might it affect me in the future?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

sweet FA I reckon, mostly goes on the reputation of the college.

e.g. In Trinity, if you do maths, you get a BA, everywhere else you get a BSc.

Arent courses approved by the psychologists guild or something - check with them if you're worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The psych course in Trinity is approved by the British Psychological Association and their Irish counterpart, so it's definitely recognised...no difference between the quality of their psych degree and a BSc psych degree.

Besides, there's feck all you can do with an undergrad psych degree, you need a masters at least before you can get most jobs in the field of psychology.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

It's in DBS fee paying, im bout 100 points short of doing it in a straight points based college. Awarded by Hetac, anyone have any commentary bout this, how valued would this be? If I did do a Masters would I still be overshadowed by a trinity graduate in an interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 September

I did a Bsc in Psychology (U of U), and I'm fairly sure that the only difference is in the course content. They should both be accredited by the BPA.
    Besides, there's feck all you can do with an undergrad psych degree, you need a masters at least before you can get most jobs in the field of psychology.

This is also completely true, so consider what you may want to do afterwards for a masters in case that has some bearing on what your first degree should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Bottle_of_Smoke
    It's in DBS fee paying, im bout 100 points short of doing it in a straight points based college. Awarded by Hetac, anyone have any commentary bout this, how valued would this be? If I did do a Masters would I still be overshadowed by a trinity graduate in an interview?

I looked into this a few years ago (but decided to go with the Open Uni as I couldn't afford to give up work), the Trinity psych degree isn't the best psych degree in the country, in fact the DBS one is better regarded and you get more practical experience.
    Trinity will always look better than DBS to a lot of interviewers, but as I said before, there are virtually no psych jobs you can do with only an undergrad degree, so don't worry about the BSc, it's all the same difference between courses at that level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The only difference between a BA and a BSc in the same area is the faculty they're affiliated with, the letters in front of the degree title and the colours you graduate in.

Also, eth0_ is right, there is very little career wise you can do with an ordinary degree in Psychology. Technically speaking all it qualifies you to do is to prepare surveys and collect statistical data.

My sister is doing an undergrad degree in Psychology (BA) at the moment and a friend is about half way through his PhD. If you want to get somewhere from it you have to be interested and in for the long haul.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement