Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge issues arrest warrant for MEP Avril Doyle

Options
  • 22-04-2004 11:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'd put it in Satire but it's funny because it's true...
    Judge issues arrest warrant for MEP Avril Doyle
    22/04/2004 - 7:18:52 PM

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of MEP Avril Doyle.

The Fine Gael member of the European Parliament failed to appear in Dublin District Court.

She was due up on three charges, one each of careless driving, driving without reasonable consideration and dangerous driving on the M50 in Santry in North Dublin on March 26, 2002.

Ms Doyle failed to appear in court and no appeared to represent her.

Judge John Coghlan issued a bench warrant for her arrest.

A statement has been issued from her solicitor in Naas, which says an administrative error caused the no-show.

Coonan Cawley Solicitors have said the matter was entirely their fault and no blame should be attached to Ms Doyle.

The Fine Gael Leinster MEP has been at the European Parliament sitting in Strasbourg this week.

She is seeking re-election in the new East Constituency in June.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

The second time in the last month or two that she has had a run in with the law.

As part of her campaign signs like the ones which tell drivers to slow down were placed on the side of busy roads urging people to vote for her. They had to be taken down if i remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pesky law-breakin' Blue Shirt! :D More seriously what a silly billy she is, its simple enough you get caught ,you
    bow before the bench and then get on with your life.
    As part of her campaign signs like the ones which tell drivers to slow down were placed on the side of busy roads urging people to vote for her. They had to be taken down if i remember correctly.

They were still up and lit on Wednesday (just by Bunclody).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

This type of story is cheap tabloid fodder. This is the type of story that is what "tea break" chat fodder.

The way that this non story that has been covered is proof that standards have droped in our media.

They are many worthwhile storys out there but RTE and others have nothing better to cover storys like this.

RTE's morning Ireland had this story this morning. It is a complete non story.

Let us hope that the new Irish SKY news service will improve media standards in this country & put our bloated public service broadcaster to come up with news storys and not cheap tabloid fluff pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OMG I agree with Cork on the first part of his statement!!! They should be covering stories about people who drunk drive and knock down nurses maybe, that story has gone very silent eh ;)

As for standard of journalism in this country when they actually get up off their rear ends and decide to report on something for example the planning issues in Clare and Kerry they do a damn fine job. If anything "Sky Irish News Entertainment" is going to drag down the level of journalism with tabloid type stories like its mother station or inbred cousin "Fox News Entertainment".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by gandalf

As for standard of journalism in this country when they actually get up off their rear ends and decide to report on something for example the planning issues in Clare and Kerry they do a damn fine job. If anything "Sky Irish News Entertainment" is going to drag down the level of journalism with tabloid type stories like its mother station or inbred cousin "Fox News Entertainment".

I saw the programme on planning issues in Clare and Kerry - but it seems to me that county councils and having local democracy is part of the problem.

I think we need no County Councils, 4 regional authoritys and a 1/3 of the number of TDs.

RTE's audience figures have plummeted in recent years. U think that competition should motivate them to produce news programmes that are worth watching.

Gandalf, many issues in our society need investigation & the media really could do better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's slightly more newsworthy than "Avril Doyle Caught In Bubble Bath Sex Scene". Which I suppose probably wouldn't get reported on. Having said that, there's nothing wrong with reporting it and it's unusual for a warrant to be issued for an MEP. I'd rather hear a further conclusion to the idiot TD in drunk driving nurse maiming though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by Cork
    I saw the programme on planning issues in Clare and Kerry - but it seems to me that county councils and having local democracy is part of the problem.

I think we need no County Councils, 4 regional authoritys and a 1/3 of the number of TDs.

No I actually think County Councils are a good idea providing they are applying the rules to everyone in the same manner. So for instance the couple building a house on some land or the rich land owner starting to quarry for rock should both have planning permission before they start their prospective work and if not should be subject to the penalty of law with no exceptions or retrospective permission being granted.

Cork just stop it now :), I'm having to agree with you again. Yes we do have far to many TD's for our countries population size. Did a post on it ages ago here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36665&highlight=Dail
    RTE's audience figures have plummeted in recent years. U think that competition should motivate them to produce news programmes that are worth watching.

Why would they worry a couple of whinges to the Government and they get an increase in their license fee and produce rubbish like the "Big Bow Wow". When they do get up off their asses they actually can product some quality current affairs programmes.
    Gandalf, many issues in our society need investigation & the media really could do better. [/B]

Yes every media outlet especially some of the newspapers could do a far better job but unfortunately due to their ownership etc they ignore some issues which should be outted because it maybe commercially sensitive for their masters.

Gandalf.

Advertisement