Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth on campus (UCD)

Options
  • 23-04-2004 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

No i was sittin in theatre N (i think.. its the nearest one to M) and messin with me phone and turns out that it has a blaeden bluetooth access point in it, an "axis 9010" , has anyone used this to go online at all?

give us a shout and let us know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Doubt a Bluetooth connection would be great. Think its max transfer rate is 1 MB per second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah speed is not its strong point, i was jus' curious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

did it in theatre L with my ipaq but it was SOOOOO slow that i gave up.

love doing a blutooth search in lectures....some people name their phones the weirdest things.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

access point? /me was under the impression that bluetooth isn't a 'networking' standard and that it's only for communication between PC and PDA/Phone whatever. AFAIK they're rolling out some wireless-LAN around the place but i didn't know it included bluetooth. if you can get net access all the better - a well deserved pat on the back for Computing Services :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

my mobile has bluetooth but im not really sure what it can means.can i connect to the internet/wap from it or is it purely device to device.thanks for any help

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

generally the bluetooth-enabled mobile will be used to connect say a laptop or PDA to the net. it's like wireless USB in general.

yeah back in the day the idea was to use bluetooth like Wifi but it kind of failed.

can be used for net access if you have an access point and an ipaq / bt laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

yeah back in the day the idea was to use bluetooth like Wifi but it kind of failed.
    Ha, ha - where did you get that from?

More bluetooth devices shipped has year than in all previous years put together.

Bluetooth was designed from the beginning for low power data transfer over short distances. As you correctly said a bluetooth access point can bridge bluetooth onto a standard ethernet network.

Wi-fi is a power hungry beast that is rarly built into PDA's let alone phones and when it is it has to be switched off when it's not needed in order to conserve battery life.

tribble

yeah your right, I kind of phraed my self wrong, i meant that access point wise the B and G standard have well taken over BT.

Advertisement