Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Security question

• 23-04-2004 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi – I am new to the world of broadband. I just got a IBB connection and running Norton Internet Security. Is Norton good enough or should I get a firewall router as well? My PC is connected directly to the IBB box on the wall. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In most cases, a software firewall is more than enough.

If you've got very sensitive information and are very cautious then sure, invest in a hardware firewall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Can I ask the question opposite statto, I have a router with firewall and my trial firewall is nearly end on the PC, should I get a software firewall? I'm using Windows XP so is the firewall that's in it sufficient along with the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

My two cent worth…

Zion, I am using Kerio Personal Firewall and it seems fairly good... and its free too, Might be worth considering.

Statto, For me the decision is down to your setup. If you only have one PC, Xbox etc using your BB connection then I would go for a software firewall. If you want to use multiple PC’s then it would be a good idea to go for a router with a firewall on it and not bother with the software firewall.

Either way keep an up to date anti-virus product running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

And Microsoft will in the near future be releasing SP2 which will have a configurable firewall (as opposed to the current useless one) ...... which is supposed to be ok

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Everyone, don't bother with the Windows XP firewall, would you really trust MS with your security?!!!!

Instead get Zonealaram for free and use that instead, it is much better then the XP firewall.

BTW BigEejit the firewall in XP SP2 isn't going to be that different, the main difference is that it is going to be turned on by the default :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

so just for a bit of clarity. if u have a router with a firewall in it, do u need a software one too? cuz i have bb and have a software firewall(zonealarm pro - its the business!) and i'm going to be setting up a wireless network in my house to share the connection. so do i need to have a separate software firewall on each comp? also do i need any extra security cuz its a wireless network? thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by suppafly
    so just for a bit of clarity. if u have a router with a firewall in it, do u need a software one too? cuz i have bb and have a software firewall(zonealarm pro - its the business!) and i'm going to be setting up a wireless network in my house to share the connection. so do i need to have a separate software firewall on each comp? also do i need any extra security cuz its a wireless network? thanks

Strictly speaking if you have a firewall on your router, then you don't need a software firewall. But as I said earlier I have a router with firewall, plus every computer in my house has a software firewall. It is better as it ads an extra layer of security.

Yes, you need to be more careful with wireless. Make sure your wireless setup supports WPA security and use it (block clients to your Access Point that don't authenticate by WPA).
    If you want to be really tight with your security, then you could run a VPN over the WPA connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by bk
    Instead get Zonealaram for free and use that instead, it is much better then the XP firewall.
    It is better than the current XP firewall, and a damn good firewall too, but I am willing to give microsoft a chance and will try out SP2 soon....

BTW BigEejit the firewall in XP SP2 isn't going to be that different, the main difference is that it is going to be turned on by the default :rolleyes:
    Ars Technica says different

Originally posted by BigEejit

Ars Technica says different

From what I see here, it is copying Zonealaram, but with a UI that is much less user friendly.

However I do like the feature where it only opens the ports when the application that needs those ports is actually running.

However on the downside, form what I can read from this description is doesn't give as good control over applications communicating outbound as Zonealaram does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

Cheers - thanks for all the advice

• Advertisement
Advertisement