Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Dreamcast

Options
  • 23-04-2004 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Anybody here still use their DC ?

I still use mine regularly even though I have a GC, X-Box and PC

I think it was way ahead of it's time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I got rid of mine and I'm sorry I did. Had some great games, crazy taxi, DOA3, rayman 2, MSR, and a really comfortable controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

That's apity.
    I never sell a system or games - you get feck all for them, it's nicer to add to your collection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Yeah I know but OTOH you can turn into a magpie if you keep everything.

ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i went a little mental last month buying dc games off ebay and lik-sang.

/me hugs copies of shenmue, shenmue 2, bangai-o, f355 challenge, sonic aniversary pack, soul calibur, metropolis street racer and jet set radio

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When I finally finish this bloody research project I'll probably buy one off my friend and get bangai-oh. It was a fantastic console that was unfortunately mostly ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes!! dug out my copy of Grandia 2 and am playing through it once again. My joy at the combat system in this game knows no bounds!! and bizarrely I still have shenmue 2 in its packaging as I never got round to playing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭teck-x5

damn you sony, damn you!!!!!

dreamcast rocked, have about 40 games for it yay. :D
    ill never let it go.

I'm not familiar with bangai-o - what's it like ?

It was great that towards the end of the DC you coudl get *cough* backups of games online and burn 'em....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭teck-x5

or just buy all the games you wanted for cheap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I love my dreamcast! Dont use it as much as I used too.

A while ago it stopped working, the video output was fecked, so I took it apart and discharged everything metallic, put it back together and it was fine.

MSR, Shenmue I+II, Quake3, Unreal Tournament, Jet Set Radio etc. Class Games on a great console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

a very cool console that's quite easy to program for.
    Plenty of emulators for it and loads of homebrew apps and games.
    Jet Set Radio is an excellent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by deadl0ck
    I'm not familiar with bangai-o - what's it like ?

It's a Treasure shooter with platform elements. Excellent, excellent game. The insanity of the combos you achieve.

Love my Dreamcast. Still feels kind of empty without a Sega console out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

yep still play mine...despite wha people say the sonic adventure games were brilliant and i still luv sonic adventure 2 to bits awwww.

Shenmue 1 + 2 pure engrossing brilliance (1 is more engrossing but 2 is more fun)

Quick question can you still play phantasy star online...online? and if u can do u have to pay monthly or does it just require the connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by BlitzKrieg
    Quick question can you still play phantasy star online...online? and if u can do u have to pay monthly or does it just require the connection?

The Dreamcast version of Phantasy Star Online went offline late last year. Pity, remember the first time playing it online on 56k with other people, t'was a surreal experience in itself. The cheaters sucked though.

Ever since they introduced a "Hunter's License" fee in PSO: Episodes I and II, I haven't really gotten back to it, due to the expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I still play alot of the shooters like Bangai O, Ikaruga and Gunbird 2.

And occasionally a bit of SF3 Third Strike and KoF 99 Dream Match.

There are tons of good multiplayer games as well. I'll always dig out Powerstone 2 and Virtua Tennis 2 when I have friends round.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

A brand new game just got released for it. Psyvariar 2: The will to fabricate. Looks a bit like Ikaruga

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Len_007
    A brand new game just got released for it. Psyvariar 2: The will to fabricate. Looks a bit like Ikaruga

the difference being ikaruga is a finely balenced masterpeice, whereas psyvariar 2 is a painfully average sequal to a very very niche game of a niche genre, so avoid. shikigami no shiro 2 on the other hand is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I want a Dreamcast!!!!

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    the difference being ikaruga is a finely balenced masterpeice, whereas psyvariar 2 is a painfully average sequal to a very very niche game of a niche genre, so avoid. shikigami no shiro 2 on the other hand is very good.

I can't agree with you there. Psyvariar is a very cool series and something thats arguably more accessable than Ikaruga. You aren't tied to memorising patterns, it's all about experimenting with what's thrown at you and trying to discover ways of maximising your chain.

They're very different kinds of games and considering how few shooters are around these days I'd say they're both essentiel.

By the way, if you're into shooters you simply must try the free demos from ABA Games. rRootage has some really cool Ikaruga and Psyvariar modes if you're interested in trying them before you spend your cash.

Lots of shooter/arcade info in my site (signature). :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone played Borderdown yet. Just curious about how good it is.

• Advertisement

I've only played a little of Border Down. Graphics are a bit scrappy in places, ship designs don't have any character. Music doesn't do alot for me either.

It's plays pretty well though. There are a few cool gameplay systems in there like trying to beat the bosses as the timer reaches zero to get the biggest bonus.

I'd be inclined to go for RType final ahead of it but if you like your horizontal shooters then it's pretty solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

Does anyone know where you can get samba de amigo? with teh mat, and the maraccas? I tried ebay but i'm reluctant to spend £60 on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭combs

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Anyone played Borderdown yet. Just curious about how good it is.
    It's extremely addictive. Probably the third best on DC after Zero Gunner 2 and Shikigami 2.

SEGA seem to be working on a Samba game for PS2, for use with the Eye Toy. So buying the expensive maracas might not be worthwhile.

60 quid is cheap for the maracas and the game.
    You can probably get the game on the Web for download and burn it yourself, and you can get 3rd party maracas on lik-sang or on FL Games

Advertisement