Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone playing online games in ireland?

Options
  • 23-04-2004 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

No advertise, No selling in the store, No people talk about it
    Why it seems no people're playing online games in ireland?
    I've heard games like "Everquest" have been very popular in US and EU,but seems not the case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

there's a good few of online games mostly :

Battlefield DC
    Battlefield Vietnam
    Call of Duty
    Medal of Honor

Check out the games section on boards for server info....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Warcraft 3 is good on multiplayer - works perfectly well over a 56k modem too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

moved to games board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

might not be as big here as it is where you come from rainer but there it's still quite popular.

think CS is the most popular online game

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by rainer
    No advertise

?

Originally posted by rainer
    No selling in the store

?

People I know who are not even gamers have asked me about online gaming because it's being advertised. Never mind about the bloody games companies, bloody Eircom are advertising it!

As for no selling in stores, that’s untrue. I got the online only game SWG from a toy shop, World of Wonder, in Ballina. And along with them game retail stores and video stores are selling console hardware for online use and games with online play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Can u play these online games anywhere or do u need the internet? Or is it only in the stores, tell me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

There are pretty big unreal, wolfenstein and counter strike communities in ireland as far as i know. And there are definitely a fair few people playing starcraft and red alert 2. I'm guessing that not many people here play MMORPG's is because of the cost of internet connections in the past, I know when Everquest came out the only thing that stopped me from buying it was the prospect of €200 phone bills, well that and the loss of my social life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire
    Can u play these online games anywhere or do u need the internet? Or is it only in the stores, tell me more.

:D

How come every couple of weeks someone comes along asking " where are the online players in Ireland"...? No matter where you are, as long as you have a phone line you generally can play games online. Why people think its any different here I dont know?

No selling in stores... so you are telling us Game, Smyths, Gamestop etc boycott selling online games?? :rolleyes:

A better question would be: how did you come to those conclusions?

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

sarcasm is wasted here Rev :)

There is also a bubbling Quake3 crowd in Ireland

Website - www.quake.ie
    Irc - #quake.ie, #ctf.ie,#DeDanann,#n8z and #fh

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

What is an internet?

Sorry to go off-topic but is there a freepost P.O. box number for sending messages to these boards. I have almost run out of stamps. Also, I appear to have lost my favorite pen.

Yours etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Maybe he's talking about massive multyplayer online games, for which theres a board here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

troll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Im probably going to be lynched for asking this or at the very least show my ignorance of such things, but where oh where do you get those cards from

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

http://www.boards.ie/gathering/index.html

blame Hobbes

thx rev

priceless lol

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 concretedonkey

Those cards are about as funny as cancer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there are very few gaming servers in ireland, alot of games dont even have an irish server, most Irish gamers can be found playing on english servers with no reference to being irish, but there is the odd Irish server here and there for counterstrike, battlefield etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

During my stay in the USA Online gaming is was very popular, as with the MSN's and the AOL's. Our whole town was wired with cable though so everyone could get cable internet, so in high school lots of people would talk about the games they had the night before etc. But then again the computer to human ratio in america is about 2:1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Several people play freelancer online in ireland , there are a few active clans and i come across several irish freelancers on a normel nite

There are currently irish servers for the following :

bf1942, bf vietnam, cs, ns, enemy territory, q3, qw, tribes2, call of duty, ut2004, dod, halo

so other than these games theres no serves in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Hey maximilian is that really you?

Where the hell did you go, last time i remeber playing cs with you was about 5 years ago on cs_assault.

[DF]Max wasnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

There are currently irish servers for the following :

bf1942, bf vietnam, cs, ns, enemy territory, q3, qw, tribes2, call of duty, ut2004, dod, halo
    BAH!! ye and they are empty for the most part!, come on most of us if we want a good game we go to the UK/E.U. servers......unless you enjoy playing solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

ive been playing the toca race driver 2 online demo with some friends... good fun so it is

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

For Day of Defeat,Counter-Strike,Natural Selection Irish servers always full go to www.jarhedz.com .

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    BAH!! ye and they are empty for the most part!, come on most of us if we want a good game we go to the UK/E.U. servers......unless you enjoy playing solo.

The point made was that there are no irish servers. Simply saying that there are loads.
    Hardly our fault if people dont use them, but then again thats pretty much typical of irish gamers always sitting on their butts moaning but never getting off their arses and doing anything.

True :)

Croc - you say they're empty, why not hop on IRC, grab a few people and join them.

Lazy git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 PhuckMasterZero

/me remembers back in the old days running a serial cable for 5miles to play Doom...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Probably worth your while moving your cursor over the games heading.

Originally posted by PhuckTard2000
    /me remembers back in the old days running a serial cable for 5miles to play Doom...
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

There are a few Irish players on Planetside, you really need broadband for it to be smooth though !

Advertisement