Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Shots

• 23-04-2004 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Anyone else notice the hideous amount of long shots your team tries in CM 03/04?

I'm praying it's not just me. I've turned off the long shots instructions for all my players and tried tweaking everything else to try and stop my players from shooting outside the box so much. But nothing seems to work.

I even play with focus play on the flanks and cross form touchline to near, centre and far post. And my wingers still cross the ball back outside the box for a player to shoot hopelessy wide and/or over.

Any ideas on how to curb my team's desire to put the ball out of the stadium with their shooting? This 'bug' , if it is that, is ruining an otherwise calss game for me. :mad:

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fabregas... OVER THE BAR!
    Oliseh... OVER THE BAR!
    Makelele... OVER THE BAR!
    Oswald... OVER THE BAR!
    Oliseh... OVER THE BAR!
    Oswald... OVER THE BAR!
    Oliseh... OVER THE BAR!
    Oswald... OVER THE BAR!
    Oliseh... OVER THE BAR!
    Oswald... OVER THE BAR!
    Oliseh... OVER THE BAR!
    Oswald... OVER THE BAR!
    Oliseh... OVER THE BAR!
    Oswald... OVER THE BAR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Figo has just set a new record for my Werder Bremen side today. 18 shots on goal, 0 on target. ALL over.

It's so annoying. The computer teams seem to paly a bit of football. Why can't any of my teams do this? This bug is such a step backwards from CM4. They were meant to improve the match engine not make it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I havent noticed this that much i score lots of goals from long range and play pretty decent football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I've only really noticed this more since this thread.. I always set my passing as short, down the flanks.. but it still ends up in the middle getting blazed over at every opportunity..

a bit rubbish really :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

like Drake, I've only found it really apparent since this thread.

and only my DMC and my AMC seem to do it in both a 4132 and 442 formation.

damn Welsh and his 17 in long shots :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've noticed the same problem, even with players who are supposed to be good at long shots. I have one guy with a long shot rating of 20 who has God knows how many shots each game and he scored twice in the whole of last season. Something not quite right there.

It can get really annoying. :mad:

The only way I can seem to avoid it happening excessively is to leave my players' passing on mixed and their mentality set to normal. And, of course, the long shots option is turned off for all my players.

Originally posted by JippoKelly
    And, of course, the long shots option is turned off for all my players.

They do get the odd 35 yard screamer tho.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MisterT

I think its impossible for a team to go without shooting from long range for long periods, I mean if you were to shoot from long range and score from every effort I think you'd start getting cricket scores.
    Nonetheless, if you have the 2D pitch on and set to 'key' you're bound to see just the long shots and really none of other parts, like link ups, breaking possession etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I've noticed that if the mentality of the team is set to Gung Ho then long shots is virtually the only attempts at goal they will have, other than set pieces.

Also what is with all the stupid throw-ins towards the end of a match usually. They just throw the ball straight to the other team. In saying that though the computer team has occasionally done this too.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Imposter
    Also what is with all the stupid throw-ins towards the end of a match usually. They just throw the ball straight to the other team. In saying that though the computer team has occasionally done this too.

And the fact that if your not on gung ho, the throw ins take a ****ing day anytime after 90 mins :/

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Originally posted by DRakE

And the fact that if your not on gung ho, the throw ins take a ****ing day anytime after 90 mins :/

Can't figure that one out myself. Your team is two down with 5 minutes to go and they get one back, at which stage the scorer runs back to the centre circle with the ball. But then in injury time throw-ins or goal kicks take an eternity and invariably give possession to the opposition. Not entirely consistent.

A few of the things the players do on the pitch are a bit dodgy too. I've lost track of the number of times I've seen goal kicks rolled out to a defender and are passed back to the keeper, all without the ball leaving the box. Worse still, last week one of my players took a throw-in and threw the ball to himself :confused:

This is what, the 2nd time 2d has been used in CM? Of course it still has to be tweaked and altered but at least it gives other positive aspects to the game...

If it takes an eternity for your team to take a throw or goal kick switch back to the original text commentary and you won't need to see it...

Originally posted by MisterT
    I think its impossible for a team to go without shooting from long range for long periods, I mean if you were to shoot from long range and score from every effort I think you'd start getting cricket scores.
    Nonetheless, if you have the 2D pitch on and set to 'key' you're bound to see just the long shots and really none of other parts, like link ups, breaking possession etc.

I get what you're saying, and to a ceratin extent I'd agree with you. But when you watch the matches on full (as mind-numbingly boring as it is) the long shots problem is unfortunately still there.

My biggest objection with the long shots isn't really the amount that are attempted, it's the fact that 9 out of every 10 go flying over the bar. It's gotten to the stage where actually cheer when i see a player hit a long shot just on target or even just wide almost as much as I cheer a goal.

It's not just long shots either. A large amount of 1 on 1s are ballooned over as well.

Its a little from column A and a little from column B as far as I'm concerned. You don't see many long range goals from 30 yards that often - check tonights Premiership and see how many go in - let alone be on target. I agree it'd be nice just to make the keeper even work when you have a long ranger but in my own experience, I probably have a ration of 60:40 that are sky high and that skim the bar - but - all things being equal, they both still go over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea, I've noticed this aswell. It gets reeeeeeally fecking annoying the 30th time you see your winger cut inside with 2 strikers storming into the box and instead of crossing for one of them to tap in, he takes a shot from outside the box and/or from a ridiculous angle.

A pox on thee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't find the long shots that bad normally. Ocasionally you will get a player that can have 5 or 6 long shots (Especially Welsh), without hitting the target or only hitting it once, but I don't find this happening that often.

Most games I have around 15 shots, with around 10 on target and most of them would be form my strikers. This is playing attacking with long shots turned on, for all of my midfielders.

Are you all sure that you have the latest patches, because I thought it was fixed in one of them.

Advertisement