Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bolton in talks with Rivaldo

• 23-04-2004 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

The “R” word has often been mentioned around Bolton the last three seasons since they secured promotion.

But now the supporters are suddenly talking about Rivaldo and not relegation.

The former world player of the year is having “on-going talks” with chairman Phil Gartside and manager Sam Allardyce.

And the word is that he could tie up a move to the Reebok Stadium as early as next week.

That would be a massive coup for the club and in particular Allardyce.

No-one scoffs any more at famous names being linked with this famous but unfashionable Lancashire club.

Youri Djorkaeff, a former World Cup winner like Rivaldo, made the step.

So too did Africa’s current player of the year, Jay-Jay Okocha, as well as Ivan Campo, who won caps for Spain and enjoyed Champions League nights with Real Madrid.

But securing Rivaldo’s signature would raise Bolton’s profile ten-fold and Allardyce knows that.

The former AC Milan and Barcelona playmaker has been on the look-out for a new team after leaving Brazil side Cruzeiro in February.

Rivaldo, who was 32 on Monday, joined Barcelona from Spanish rivals Deportivo La Coruna for £16m in 1997.

The following year he was named in the FIFA-All Star team at the World Cup finals and won the Primera Liga, Copa del Rey and European Super Cup with Barca.

In 1999 he was named world and European footballer of the year after again helping Barca win the Spanish league but three years later he was fined for feigning injury during Brazil’s World Cup win over Turkey.

The player admitted fooling the referee by clutching his face after Hakan Unsal kicked the ball at his leg while he was waiting to take a corner in the closing moments of the Group C match.

Later that summer Rivaldo’s representatives confirmed that Newcastle had contacted with them with a view to making a move for the player – but he joined AC Milan on a free transfer.

He helped the Italian giants win the Champions League a year ago – although he remained on the bench for the final against Juventus at Old Trafford – and helped Milan win the Coppa Italia.

But in November Milan agreed to terminate Rivaldo’s contract.

In a brief statement, Bolton confirmed : “The club are holding ongoing talks with the player.”
    I haven't seen Rivaldo play in a while but I'm not a fan of his. Unless his wage wage demands are small Bolton should forget about it IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Irish1, could you include sources when you post an article please?

I usually dont believe anything thats not from a decent broadsheet or the bbc and if i hadnt already seen this on Aunties website, i wouldnt have believed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

id love to see him and jay jay playing together. But only when Rivaldo is on form..Although im not a Bolton Supporter i think it would be a good buy for Sam and Bolton.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Irish1, could you include sources when you post an article please?

I usually dont believe anything thats not from a decent broadsheet or the bbc and if i hadnt already seen this on Aunties website, i wouldnt have believed it :)
    I saw it on the teletext last night, Allardyce confirmed that they were in talks with Rivaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Sky Sports News is reporting the story (although they are the Kings of rumours ) .

Anyway it would be a good buy for the club but instead of adding to that star line-up sams assembling , he will only replace an ageing dyorkaeff ( 35 / 36 ) .

Still in replaceing djoprkaeff they have a definete position he's suited to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

could you include sources when you post an article please?

Sorry I forgot the link, i got it from breakingnews.ie. Anyway If you don't believe anything but the BBC, here you go:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/bolton_wanderers/3651125.stm
    ;)
    Originally posted by Big Ears
    Sky Sports News is reporting the story (although they are the Kings of rumours ) .
    I have never heard a false story coming from SSN. They would not report anything until they are sure.

• Advertisement

No they do but they do say Rumours are saying that blah blah blah will join blah blah blah .

Or ( persons name/ agent ) has said blah will join blah or is in talks with blah or wants to join blah .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

he would be a good asset for bolton i feel, isnt he having alot of problems with injuries though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

He's 48 hours away from being a bolton player according to his agent!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Another massive coup for Big Sam if he pulls it off, although his best days are behind him Rivaldo would be a huge asset to a team like Bolton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

To be honest, I can't see this working out for Bolton, whist Sam has had to great successes as stated already in this thread, there has been some disasters, most noticably this season Jardel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Irish1, could you include sources when you post an article please

Yeah "Irish1" include your sources!!! God damn it!!! :D

On Rivaldo.... He hasn't been getting his game this season has he?

B.

Originally posted by BaZmO*
    Yeah "Irish1" include your sources!!! God damn it!!! :D

On Rivaldo.... He hasn't been getting his game this season has he?

B.

Because he's been playing for Cruzero ( and finnished his spell their in January )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

I think that this could be a great deal for Bolton. You have to remember that he was just kept out of the ac milan team by some of the best players in the world. Ac milan bench to Bolton. Its got to be good for sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Think Rivaldo would be a good signing for Bolton, Would love to see him in the premiership, can only add to what is already at bolton. It is possible that Sam is buying him in to insure he still has that creative player should JayJay not sign on for next season. Then again maybe if rivaldo is coming to bolton it would encourage jayjay to sign on....

Bolton for Europe??

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Originally posted by johnor

Bolton for Europe??

Just on that I was reading today in one of the papers on all the possibilities for promotion/relegation etc right from Premiership to Conference.

Apparently Bolton can still mathematically finish fourth. Granted it would take a lot of the teams ahead of them slipping up but it quite surprised me. Boro are in with a shout too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Dont think this a good move for bolton, no doubting his ability but he has a por temprement, unlike Djorkaeff and Okocha which is what made them such successes.

Anyone think Celtic should have gone for him to replace larsson?

Advertisement