Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

slightly OT: marketeering 'b'

• 23-04-2004 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

I really have a problem with the difference between b and B when it comes to marketing network products, and their (in my view) cynical misuse. Wouldn't it be much more transparent if all manufacturers unilaterally decided to drop the b and ONLY use B.

This would mean offering a DSL product of 64k (as opposed to a 512kb), or a 7k modem (as opposed to a 56) or a 128M network (as opposed to gigabit).

I know it doesn't sound as, uhh, sexy, but in terms of being a more recognised measure or feel, it's way more accurate. For example:

'I've just sent you an attachment'
    'OK how big is it?'
    '2 megs'

If this convo had been in bits rather than bytes, the receiver might have had a fit.

Anyway, I'm campaigning for dropping the 'b'

hc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Originally posted by hughchal
    I really have a problem with the difference between b and B when it comes to marketing network products, and their (in my view) cynical misuse. Wouldn't it be much more transparent if all manufacturers unilaterally decided to drop the b and ONLY use B.

This would mean offering a DSL product of 64k (as opposed to a 512kb), or a 7k modem (as opposed to a 56) or a 128M network (as opposed to gigabit).

I know it doesn't sound as, uhh, sexy, but in terms of being a more recognised measure or feel, it's way more accurate.

What are you talking about ???? b and B ??

As for modem speeds ... they are quoted as a baud rate, which is accurate. The actual transfer across your line is totally dependant on line quality.

DSL is also effected by line quality, contention, and back end bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by Paulw
    What are you talking about ???? b and B ??

bit vs: bytes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Originally posted by Paulw
    back end bandwidth.

fnaarr fnaarr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

While you're at it, sort out the whole "1MB=1,000,000 bytes and 1MB=1,048,576bytes" thing too, please.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

simple

8 bits = 1 byte
    1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes =
    1 MB = 1024 kilobytes = 1,048,576 bytes
    1 GB = 1024 MB = 1,048,576 kilobytes = 1,073,741,824
    bytes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Generally, when speaking in a computer networking context we use bits. When speaking of things inside the computer (like hard drive capacities, memory bandwidth etc) we use bytes.
    Also, hard disk manufacturers, being the marketing whores that they are, refer to 1,000 MB as 1 GB when clearly it is not 1GB. Thus the lower-capacity-than-advertised feature of most hard disks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Originally posted by Stephen
    Generally, when speaking in a computer networking context we use bits. When speaking of things inside the computer (like hard drive capacities, memory bandwidth etc) we use bytes.

Yep I know we do, all I'm saying is that marketing types, whether through ignorance or deceit, use it in a misleading way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by hughchal
    Yep I know we do, all I'm saying is that marketing types, whether through ignorance or deceit, use it in a misleading way.

Yup, I second that .. I know whats what (thanks anyway), its just its deliberately misleading... anyway it doesn't bother me that much!

.cg

Advertisement