Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for DSL

• 23-04-2004 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

Have narrowed it down to Clicksilver or Netsource.

Any one make any recommendations between the two?

I am doing a self install and already have a USB DSL modem, 10/100 switch, W2k server and XP Pro games machine. Was thinking of having the 2k server as the DSL host as it is already a domain controller running DNS services.

Cheers,

LD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Why those two, may I ask? If I could get DSL where I live it'd be IOL without a doubt.

If you're a gamer, don't get UTV. They've sorted their recent problems but UTV's pings are ALWAYS higher than IOL/other, by about 20-30ms. On ISDN I get 70-80 on UTV, 40-50 on IOL. The UTV DSL users seem to get anywhere from 50-80ms (to English servers), whereas IOL users seem to do a good be lower consistently.

I don't know what netsource are like at the moment, I hear pings are good but possibly not the more reliable service. :rolleyes: I don't know for sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Well its price mostly and IOL's reputation of old.

I am a gamer but not hardcore and would not be using this 24/7 anyway.

LD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

I'm on UTV €30.00 a month and since they've fixed up the little problem they had with pings and stuff I've absolutely nothing to complain about. Speed tests average about 410kb/s each night and I ping pretty well to english BFV servers, around 40-50. If your going solely by price then UTV's your one, but if you want better pings its IOL or Eircom, although they lag a bit on c/s. I've no experience on netsource im afraid.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have NS and they are very good for pings and are very reliable with excellent service.

However they are not good on price.

If I was getting bb again, I'd go with IOL or maybe take a look at digiweb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if its mainly gaming your doing then eircom is the best pingwise (20-38ms on irish servers and 28-45ms on english servers) downside to eircom is price possibly but more important the cap which is only 8gb.

• Advertisement

CHeers for the responses guys.

As NS have cut prices to the 30 a month mark, I've decided to go with them

LD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Lorddrakul
    That's €30 plus VAT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Lorddrakul
    CHeers for the responses guys.

LD

I'm afraid not, first that is e30 excluding VAT and second you can only get that product if your employeer has an agreement with NS and your employeer is paying for the product for you by direct debit to NS.

It is only mean't to be for teleworkers.

So more then likely the cheapest product you could get from NS is e40 per month. Plus you will probably get screwed by NS in 9 months time when Eircom lower the prices, as NS don't tend to pass on price reductions :(

That is why IOL or digiweb would be a beter bet.

Well the main reason I'm getting DSL is for remote access so I have employer sponsorship so its cool.

The NS kit is on the way now.

Thanks

LD

After the minor problem of the DSL filter pack going amiss in the post, I got the DSL installed the night before last. Set up was a doddle but the download times were awful.

After some calls to tech support, they recommened that I try the connection without the long telephone cable extension that I had used for my old dialup.

Bingo, 54Kbps download speeds. Alright!

Happy enough with it.

LD

• Advertisement
Advertisement