Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will ISDN access actually work if I get it?

Options
  • 23-04-2004 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

I use 1891 150 150 to access the Internet.

I used to get an Internet bill from Tinet.ie then Eircom.net, but when there was all the trouble (outlined in other threads) with bad phone line, I tried Indigo and IOL. I had a separate Indigo paid account from office also.

However Eircom.net agreed to stop charging me and for more than about 2.5 years have had no bills. After a week or two of failed tests (line was problem, not ISP), I switched back to using the Eircom subscription dialup account. 1891 150 150

Now I do know that when I used my own account FOUR years ago to test customers modems and ISDN TA I setup, my account did not work for ISDN. Nor did my Indigo paid account 3 years ago. ( I lose the Indigo account as I'm just redundant this week).

So do you still need an extra "pay more" subscription account if you what to use the ISDN at 64K via the PC PCI TA, or will I be limited to my 56K modem into the POTS (analog port) on the Eircom Hispeed wall box (ISDN TE with POTS)?

I also seem to remember reading somewhere long ago another sneakyness, that the slightly lower rate of call charge on 1891 numbers only applies to analog lines and not ISDN.

Isn't nice I've had a subscription Eircon.net account free for 2.5 years?

Or am I missing the plot here somewhere?

I did think that "Free" Internet access is either an actual POP number or starts 1892 xxx xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

I think your question is, "Will my free internet access account work if I get ISDN?".

It will; all the free accounts (eircom.net, oceanfree, iolfree, utv) all work with ISDN now.

All the flat rate accounts also support it. All the subscription accounts (pay per minute) also support ISDN as far as I'm aware. The last remaining culprit not to support it was IOL NoLimits (as of the NoLimits fiasco).

If that's not you question sorry, ignore. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Thanks..Morgoth. So the "blocking" on non-premium subscriptions trying to use ISDN as 64K is gone then.

Great.

I suppose though that only Eircom sells the ISDN.

But do you pay full local call on ISDN as 64K call, or the reduced rate for 1891 calls? (that in the past was a subtle scam).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Morgoth
    The last remaining culprit not to support it was IOL NoLimits (as of the NoLimits fiasco).

I never had any problems using ISDN with NoLimits, and that was a long time ago (2 years ago as far as I remember).

Advertisement