Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utd vs The Pool(Lots of score hopefully)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

4-1 utd. 'pool need to win which means they wont sit and defend and are forced to attack which they cant do. saha and van the man up front and utd will cruise to victory.

utd will want to win now for a bit of pride and should be at their best (no real pressure, time for a few tricks and hungry to win after a defeat.

ahahahahaha........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I honestly don't know if this was a good or bad thing.
    Ah well, a win against Utd. is always fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by smemon
    4-1 utd. 'pool need to win which means they wont sit and defend and are forced to attack which they cant do. saha and van the man up front and utd will cruise to victory.

utd will want to win now for a bit of pride and should be at their best (no real pressure, time for a few tricks and hungry to win after a defeat.

I do love your knowledge of the beautiful game, its great that you always get it so wrong!!!

Ah well, was an appallingly bad match. I won't gloat if United supporters can admint they were just as **** as Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by super_furry
    :cool:

i second that ... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

digusted here at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I didn't know whether to lower myself to watching a scrap for 3rd/4th place, but in the end, I did. And having seen the match, I don't think I'll bother from now on! :D

Dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Well done to the pool, GH got his tactics right, Liverpool cant compete with United so they brought them down to their level. Deserved the victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    Well done to the pool, GH got his tactics right, Liverpool cant compete with United so they brought them down to their level. Deserved the victory.

I think both teams are on the same poor level to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

Dire match, great result. 4th spot is looking a little bit more likely now! Here's to a nice comfortable Chelsea win tomorrow! ;)

Tbh I dunno whether to feel elated because of the result (:D) or scared that Houllier might use this result to keep his job (:mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Fair play to Liverpool. I'm really interested to see the Utd of next season now. Ferguson will have been pissed off with everything to date but losing to a very poor Pool side at Old Trafford will just make it even worse. I'm expecting a lot of personnel changes to be honest.

Important result for Liverpool to get the CL place, although a lot of fans don't seem to want it for obvious reasons. I'd still fancy Newcastle though cause they've 2 games in hand, although 1 is against Chelski.

I'd watch Villa though as an outsider. They're just a point behind Liverpool now and don't have too hard a run-in. Plus confidence seems to be pretty high,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    one nil win to the pool.

I Love it when a plan comes together, thats quite a few scheckels coming my way this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

How vital is it that Villa get that spot in order to keep do'l?? Can you see him turing downa possible move to chelski ?!? Disapointed to here utd lost, as above looking forward to seeing the changes made at united, I dont think they will be as full on as people expect, defo new assistant, 3/4 new signings 2/3 sales. Hopefully he hold onto rio, keane & giggs as they will come back with hunger imo.

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

There is no chance O'Leary is going to Chelsea, don't believe everything you read in the press.. 4 Reasons.

Number 1 - O'Leary needs to prove himself at Villa - his work is incomplete.

Number 2 - David O'Leary has won no silverware as a manager, Chelsea can get almost any manager they want - why would they get someone who is essentailly unproven compared to top managers like Trapattoni.

Number 3 - Abramovich likes big names, O'Leary is not a big name.

Number 4 (and probably the best of all) - there's not a chance of Deadly Doug letting him go. Doug would have him on garden leave for the remaining years of his contract rather than let him take over another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 0
    :):):):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

hm...I want Chelsea to get 2nd place...but I want newcastle to get 4th... This is a toughie. But Im going to go with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

thank you Fish for being right. :) ((hugz)) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Great resullt:)

You know, I want big changes next season for LFC but still -
    C'mon Chelski!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Kaimera
    thank you Fish for being right. :) ((hugz)) :D

Very welcome dude :):)

:Chuffed:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I only watched the highlights of this match (just 15-mins) on ITV, but from what I saw things are as they were at Liverpool - ie: in a desperate state! Liverpool won the game but not because they were the better team.

These matches have always been close in recent years and have been great duels with some memorable displays. A few years ago these matches were the top match in the league, always tense, being played about midday, always televised live, and matches that mattered for the title - but not this year. With Liverpool’s demise last year and this, there was a late placement of this match in the fixture list and it was played at a normal 3:00pm kick-off. A much lower billing for both clubs, and a much subdued situation for the match. Both clubs consider these matches more or less a derby contest (due to the demise of Man C and Everton in the last couple of decades) and given that both clubs are just 30 miles apart. However, this particular match did not have a great level of expectancy and fewer neutrals were interested in the game - the result had a much lower relevance in the general scheme of things.

Ferguson has used these Liverpool games as a means to stir Man U, as usually Liverpool have played above themselves and have put some pressure on Man U. The results were mainly going Liverpool’s way in recent years, except for that 4-0 disaster last season (a result that was exasperated by the sending off on 4-mins of Hyppia, two penalties and then two late goals), another defeat last year and the defeat earlier this season. Yes, things weren’t going well for Liverpool.

Liverpool’s starting line-up was defensive from the beginning. Liverpool played with 3 full-backs as Finnan was on right midfield:
    Dudek
    Carragher – Henchoz – Hyppia – Riise
    Finnan – Gerard – Hamman – Murphy
    Owen – Kewell

It looked as if Liverpool’s sole purpose in the match was to defend and get a draw, or maybe sneak a goal through Owen or Kewell. It is disappointing to see that this is now the height of Liverpool’s ambitions. Their defensive-minded approach led to very few real chances being created.

Man U also had a weak looking side. Van Nistelrooy was badly missed as was Scholes, and arguably Man U have been missing Beckham for the whole season. Arguably, Roy Keane was their best player. He started for the first time since his announcement of his comeback for Ireland, and hence I looked at his play much more closely. He saved Man U in the back with a header on one occasion and made the odd foray into the opposition box. He played well generally (in those 15-mins of highlights). His did let Hamman beat him for pace as he was left flat-footed once in the 1st half but Hamman’s shot went timelessly over and wide. Roy was involved slightly for the goal as he missed a tackle on Stevie Gerrard who then drew a tackle from Gary Neville in a harmless wide position in the box. Roy was not at fault but for those that may still think of him as a God, he does miss tackles. The error was clearly from Gary Neville - it was a penalty and there was no argument from Man U – mind you, Stevie Gerard left his right leg slightly dragging so was thinking of going down anyway, perhaps – as he had done a few weeks ago. Overall though, Roy Keane looks ok.

Up stepped Danny Murphy to take the spot-kick. He used to be the regular taker for the team until he got dropped/injured/dropped this season. Seemingly Danny and Michael Owen had discussed it before the match and when it came to be taken Murphy was the teams choice. For those that are following the penalty situation at Liverpool this season, Owen has missed many penalties, at least 5 and his penalty scoring record is woeful across other seasons. However, Houllier publicly kept faith in Owen and made him continue, a mistake in my book. Last week, Liverpool got a spot-kick which was taken by Gerrard (maybe Houllier was listening to fans after all). But, although it was well struck with pace, its direction wasn’t great and it was much too close to the keeper. Now, we had Murphy stepping into the breach, so in this case we have the players deciding themselves who takes things! This shows a lack of control by Houllier – more on that later.

Up stepped Murphy and he took a very good kick, placed high and well away from Howard to his right. At last, a decent spot-kick. Liverpool have probably lost about 6 or more points due to their poor record of penalty conversion this season. That may mean missing a CL place. Maybe Owen was trying to get rid of Houllier after all with his misses, or maybe himself from Liverpool?

After the goal, Man U woke up and started exploiting Liverpool’s defence. Liverpool got exposed for some pace at times. Ferguson took off O’Shea at left back and put on Solskjaer up-front. Man U got a cross in from Saha which fell to Giggs at the far-post. His shot from the corner of the 6-yard box hit both posts! What a let-off for Liverpool! The error imo was with Dudek as he should have been able to cut out a cross that bounced twice in the penalty box with a trajectory that was so close to his 6-yard area. Carragher was the covering player.

I was surprised that Baros wasn’t brought on. Liverpool took off Owen and Kewell and brought on Heskey and Cheyrou. This was clearly spoiling tactics and defensive minded, but a tactic that is likely to see Liverpool win 0-1 at best, or maybe draw or maybe lose. Has no-one heard that sometimes the best type of defence is attack and keeping possession?

This was on of the few matches this season that Hyppia and Henchoz have been back playing together in the centre of defence. Henchoz doesn’t seem to have the pace he once did, although he did get across on several occasions to cover the right backs of Carragher and Finnan. Ronaldo only got past Carragher, once although he made one fancy flick which left him for dead. Finnan closed up O’Shea’s threat and diminished any one-two’s that could be allowed to develop into a cross. For the first half, Liverpool’s “strategy” of defence worked well. However, there was a few hiccups. On one a cross managed to come in with 3x Man U forwards and only 2x Liverpool defenders, but luckily it came right to Riise who headed it clear. Liverpool’s defence held-out but also had lucky moments.

After the post-post chance, then Ronaldo caused more havoc down the right beating Riise easily for pace and whipping in a cross. Hyppia and Henchoz signalled to each other and switched the men they were marking. This gave Solskjaer a yard ahead of Hyppia but he couldn’t connect from his dive. Some time later a cross came in a found Saha, Riise failed to pick him up and challenge for the header but the header went harmlessly wide by about 6 yards.

And that was that. Liverpool had won the match 0-1. Yet afterwards it didn’t feel like a victory! When a match is one in such an aseptic manner, when Liverpool play the way they did, lacking creativity, creating very few chances, strategically inept and lacking talent, the taste is not one of victory. Of course we must welcome the 3 points, but we cannot celebrate – we can ort of say “we won, sorry about that”. I don’t think Houllier will be feted as a hero on Merseyside tonight.

In the after match interviews, Murphy was defiant. He was glad to be back, but also glad to swipe at Houllier, stating that he wanted to show “some people” that he shouldn’t have been dropped, that Owen didn’t want to take penalties. Murphy, who is a scouser, knows how the fan base are thinking and must see that Houlliers time is nearly up. Houllier once again interviewed badly. He was asked what his tactical secret was for spoiling Man U and he said “I’m not going to tell you”. His facial expression and body language to me looks like a manager who thinks that he may get sacked. I am sure about that and think all this talk about 30m budget for next year is a smoke screen to try and create some stability – even false hope for Houllier is better than no hope. But he is not a believer.
    What also can be seen from the match is that Man U do not have a world class squad. Roy is one of their best players. If a few players are missing, such as Van Nistelrooy and Scholes, they don’t have replacements. Fletcher is not good enough. The Nevilles are ok, but not great. The backs are really ordinary. I still think that C. Ronaldo has worked out well for them, a new fresh player with pace to get down the wings ala Giggs and get the crosses in. Although his crosses do not have the same “bend” as Beckham, he will I presume improve in this dept.

For Liverpool, they are missing star quality players. They have depth in the squad in terms of average players, perhaps too much of the same type, but they are missing stars. Hamman is ok and stable, a much needed player, but he lacks in creativity and ideas. Owen is good but needs a good team to play in and a great supporting forward. If he had Van Nistelrooy beside him I think they would make a good pairing. I think Kewell plays too much of a midfield game and should be played in midfield, when played. I think Baros should be playing with Owen. Bring on Heskey as a sub for Owen with 15 m left or to rotate Owen out for rests. Overall, I think many of the average players at Liverpool are better than the average players at Man U. But that is not what wins trophies. The backbone of the team is key. I still don’t rate Dudek and he nearly let us down again today.

The fans will see this as 2 points gained. Liverpool have more of a chance of getting 4th, but only slightly more. Three games to go. The Newcastle one could be the decider if Liverpool haven’t blown it by then!

-redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

Don't like losing to the 'pool but take heart Utd fans; this result means they'll definately hold onto Gerard Houllier for another year at least. So there is another year of whinging to look forward to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

To the tune of Danny Boy
    "Oh Danny Boy,
    The Mancs, the Mancs are crying
    They're choking on their dodgy prawn sarnies
    Cos every time we win at Old Trafford
    You are the one who scores the winning Goal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Well that result may not have as big an impact on 4th place as pool fans would have thought thx to todays result .

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jesus ... we won!
    might even go back to supporting soccer now :)

Wan the 'pool! ... *ahem*

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Originally posted by redspider
    I only watched the highlights of this match (just 15-mins) on ITV,

Jesus H Christ!! That's some post for somebody that only saw 15mins!!! ;)

And to all the Liverpool supporters that are celebrating like the way Wolves did a couple of weeks ago,............AH BLESS!!! :D

See how much fun winning a match can be!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Both teams were crap. Scholes was sorely missed and Keane was invisible.

One good thing I take from this match, as a utd fan, is that Houllier may have saved his job. [insert evil laugh here]:D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'm happy Liverpool won... At least it will mean that Houllier's job is safe! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Was a poor game with Liverpool slightly shading it at times (not many mind ) Murphy again enjoying playing at Old Trafford and is usually a banker to knock away the penalties. Was a vital win even with Newcastle also winning but had they not won and with the Newcastle - Chelsea result the way it was any hope of 4th would have been over imho.

Advertisement