Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An XP home problem...

Options
  • 23-04-2004 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

Allrighty, got a hold of an XP Home laptop today to give it a fix. The problem is that when you boot it up [In all options, Safe Mode etc.] it gets to the "Welcome"/Logon screen then just hangs.

You dont have the users or anything listed, its just the blue with the XP logo. Thats all. I have looked through the MS KB and couldnt find anything. If I alt-tab i get the two options "Window Logon" and "Log on to Windows". If i change to the Windows Logon i can nolonger alt-tab to the other option.

No other buttons work and I have to do the 6 second trick to shut it down or restart. Anyone know anything about this? Last Known Good Config didnt fix it and the same thing happens above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Do a C-A-D twice in quick succession (or hold down C-A & hit D twice).

This will bring up the regular MSGINA login, and type in the the username and password there.

See of that works.

Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Nope, no differance. Still seems to hang.

Nothing seems to be wrong when goign through recovery console/repair. Hard drive space is also good so it cant be runnign out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

could always try reinstalling service pack 1 as i read somewhere that pre-SP! xp home had alot of hang-up problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

What spec is the laptop?

How much RAM has it got? Is it possible that it's processing something before it dislays the logonui ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Dont have the laptop anymore. Couldnt get it fixed, looks like I would of had to do a complete reinstall of XP to get it working. The laptop itself was a Compaq Pesiraro [sp?] 2100. Think it was a P4 2.1 and had something like 128mb ram in it. I have been using it before and never came across that problem.

Nothing else seemed to be running in the background in the alt-tab menu, although i couldnt get into task manager to check the processes list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement