Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Big Bang? Did you hear anything?

Options
  • 23-04-2004 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

There are currently two schools of thought:

1. New school: Those that believe in the Big Bang as outlined here
    2. Old school: Those that believe in the Steady State model. That the universe is infinite and has ALWAYS existed.

It wasn't so long ago that the Steady State theorists were in the majority, but these days they are most definitely in the MINORITY - almost to the point of being viewed as heretics simply because they refuse to accept the notion that the universe is of a finite size and of a finite age.

There are far fewer problems with the Steady State model than there are with the Big Bang model. The main argument against the Steady State is that it requires the universe to spontaneously produce matter from nothing to replace that which is lost to black holes - otherwise the universe would have become one big black hole already. Modern cosmologists state that the very idea of matter being created from nothing is stupid because it breaks the most fundamental law of physics - that you can't create something out of nothing.

Hang on a sec. Isn't that EXACTLY what the Big Bang theory requires too? Do you smell something funny? Yeah, me too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone was watching Hawking on BBC2 last week!
    I was too and it neatly explained why Big Bang is most likely to be true - namely the isolation of the "sound" of the big bang aftermath, the 3 degrees of tempurature that would not be there in the background
    if we were in a steady state Hoyleiverse.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:FdA4LricfZEJ:library.thinkquest.org/18188/english/universe/cosmos/bigbang.htm+3+degrees+big+bang&hl=en

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah the back ground microwave radiation and the circa 3K temp is some of the largest evidence for the big bang

i'm not a big fan of the universe always being infinite and steady state theory, i have to much difficulty with receding galaxies and what they are receding into.

with regards to particles being made out of nothing i think of black holes when i think of this and hawking radiation which effectively allows the emission of particles from a black hole, so while black holes also take in matter they also emit it.

primordial black holes which are extremely small and dense are believed to have been created around the time of the big bang, it is predicted that they should have emitted a lot of matter now iirc and that there temp should go up and they should explode and be detectable

Advertisement