Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Explorer Problem

Options
  • 23-04-2004 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi All
    Bit of bother with Internet Explorer.... Somehow some site has made its self my default homepage... I've tired changing it in the internet options but it only lasts while the computer is on, once its turned off it comes back... I've tired deleteing all cookies and tempoary files and history.... Any ideas
    Its really Starting to bug me
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Spy / AdWare

Get SpyBot search and Destory and do a scan, this will get rid of it.

Thanks JoePC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by joePC
    Spy / AdWare

Get SpyBot search and Destory and do a scan, this will get rid of it.

Of course after doing that do yourself a favour and get Mozilla 1.6 or Firefox 0.8 from www.mozilla.org

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Firefox is great, a lot better than IE imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

No Off-Topic Advocacy: When someone asks a question about their current browser/mailer/etc, either answer the question or don't post. If they want an alternative, they'll ask for it. Off-topic advocacy will be sent to the Recycle Bin.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47980

Tut tut don't you boys read the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

That’s ridiculous... Some people don't know about better alternatives… Isn’t this meant to be a place where people can get good tech advice!?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Ste-
    Tut tut don't you boys read the charter.

So...many...charters... but yeah, I do actually read some...in fairness I was just agreeing with Cabaal and I wasn't telling Buttercup to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    Firefox is great, a lot better than IE imo.

Damn straight. Dump your crappy micro$h!t browser and install FireFox.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Some of the spy ware apps dont spot all of the hompage change programmes. If the web page still sets itself up after trying all of above, go to regedit search for homepage and delete the reg entry. It will reset itself to default next time you reboot and you can then ste home page to whatever ya want!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

and the rather excellent spybot has an option to disable the setting of homepages and locks access to you hosts file (using a policy). It also has a handy feature that lets you immunize your webbrowser against spyware.

As well as this I use Slimbrowser (bit like crazybrowser), it uses the IE rendering engine but gives you bags more features including tabs, autologin, spellcheck, language tools, etc... One new cool feature is the blocking of ActiveX controls based on a hashed unique id. This shall be a very powerfull feature for the future IMO as the online DB of annoying ActiveX controls builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

I use Ad-aware 6 in conjunction with Spybot Search&Destroy. Check out the following thread I started a while back: Which Spyware software is the best?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Just had the same problem and whilst adaware couldnt deal with it, hijackthis has sorted it. Do a google search on it and download.

Advertisement