Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the point

Options
  • 23-04-2004 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

Im not sure this belongs here or in humanities but here it goes. Do you ever just become a little depressed at the sorry state of the world?

Ive not been here that long, granted, but from just reading this board you see the same news comming up again and again.

America did this, israelies did that, terror attack here, IRA there....and so on.

Whats motivated me to write this post however isnt the sorry state of the world but the futility of posting about it. The same topics come up again and again and the same arguements and so on and so on. Sometimes there is something new, a new poster or link but nothing changes.

I know the description of this forum is "discuss how others rule the world" but I always thought that was a joke. We really have no power. At all.

I always hated that Tatharite phrase "There is no alternative". Of course there are, but how do we bring them about?

Is there any point in trying...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

you know this point of view always puzzles me. I'm only young myself (22) but I recognise the world was a far more ****ed up place even 60 years ago. Its only been that long since about 40 MILLION people died in 5 years. I mean that to me was a far worse situation than we have now. There will always be problems. Personally the worst problem the world faces at the moment is the sorry state most of Afica is in. They're squandering whar resources they have in petty meaningless wars. The congo and the ethopia - eritrea wars spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I'm an optimist..its just natural human progression. There will be tons more wars, famines, mass killings and occupations but in the end Technology and communication will break down barriers, expose truths etc. I'd say a day will come in about 500 years time perhaps when the Human race will be totally different to what it is now. There's chinks of light out there if you look for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Tuars

how do we bring them about?
    You have to convince one person at a time. Eventually change will happen. That's how it's always been.

You might think all the discussions are just sloshing around in a barrel but they do seep out a little.

It just takes a little longer than you expect. Patience.

I don't see it being as that bad. The same crap happens again and again. The state of the world today is the same as it was 100 years ago. There are still wars, famine, pestilence etc. I'm a fatalist, I see it as human nature.

Advertisement