Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linre Passed ordered broadband, now failed

• 23-04-2004 7:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hey, i ordered broadband a few weeks ago after my line p[assed after failing all the other times, i ordered from iol and should be getting it next week, now i just checked my line there and it failed again. What could happen now, what are the chances of it just working anyway?, thanks for any info

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It will likely still work, even if you are failing.

My line passses sometimes and fails others, yet I've had bb for 12 months now without any problems, including when the line was failing.

HOwever, if Eircom or Esat see that your line is now failing, they might cancel the order, it depends how far down the ordering procedure you are.

BTW if your line is passing and failing like that then it may be caused by your telephone equipment your house. Disconnect all unnecessary equipment (phones, fax, etc.) from your phoneline, with the excception of one bog standard Eircom phone (and even disconnect that when you don't need it) and leave it this way for over one month (they retest once a month) and you might pass again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Did you "just check it now" through someone over the phone or through a website? Makes a difference ;)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I thought there was some secondary testing they did which presumably would involve Eircom and that even if a line shows as passed on the web tools it's not a guarantee that your account will be activated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

I just did it on the net, i emailed eircom once and they did a proper check and said it failed, then a few weeks ago i stuck my number and it said passed so no word from iol yet...though by the sounds of things,if they did cancel it they wouldnt bother telling me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

You have to call them directly to know for sure. They'll do a test right then and there. Unplug extra phones/faxes on the line etc etc. (There have been many posts on this.)

It is what it's.

• Advertisement

yeah i know about the othe posts, but i was wondering could they stop have way trhough procesing my broadband

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by oneweb
    You have to call them directly to know for sure. They'll do a test right then and there. Unplug extra phones/faxes on the line etc etc. (There have been many posts on this.)

No they don't, AFAIK when you ring them up they only look up the database with the existing results (the same from the online checker), they won't retest the line for you, unless you manage to get the number of an engineer and he agrees to do it for you.

The tests get run once a month, you just need to disconnect your various telephone gear for over a month and keep checking the tracker (once a day). As soon as you see a pass, order DSL, it might fail again in one months time.

cool thanks bk, i didnt want to ring just incase i didnt get it, at least if i got it they might fix my line or whatever, thanks

Advertisement