Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What psu to get?

Options
  • 23-04-2004 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I taught i seen a tread like this not so long ago but i cant find it.

I'm in the market for a new psu, what would you's recomend and where would you get it.

I'd like it to be 450watt at least, i know its more than enough but i'd like a little extra for future upgrades to the pc.
    And i want one as quiet as possible, dont mind it having fans as long as they're not to noisey (the ones on my antec where grand).

I know there's some brands i'm better off staying away from if someone could tell me which that be great.
    I was looking at the be quiet ones on hited, are they really quiet? What are they like power wise, reliability?
    Antec, know for a fact they are up there with the best but what gets near? Should i get one of them and be safe in knowing that it will work as good as it should?

I hope to get one tomorrow in dublin so someone please convince me on what i should go for before i go out and get one.

Thanks
    Jozi

Ps. this tread might work out to be a handy guide for those in the market of a new psu

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Q-tec = stay away from them

be quiet = good and quite (you can get those from www.hitide.ie)

Antec = good also

I cant say from my own experience because I have never used them but from what I've read on the boards, those are the general consesus :)
    Dont know any shop in Dublin selling them but you can get them online for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Originally posted by neokenzo

be quiet = good and quite (you can get those from www.hitide.ie)
    Yep, I can vouch for these. I have a 450W be-quiet! colorline, and it's just a whisper. Very steady too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ps. this tread might work out to be a handy guide for those in the market of a new psu

Theres already a sticky about general parts which includes a guide to PSU's ....... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152842 .

[edit] But generally as the guys are sayin, the be-quiets are a good choice !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Originally posted by COL_LOKI
    Theres already a sticky about general parts which includes a guide to PSU's ....... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=152842 .
    QUOTE]

I taught it was a regular post but it was your sticky i was reading at the time.

Think i might go for a be quiet, might as well give them a go, pity the colorline is out of stock! Is the only difference between that and the black line that it has leds? If so i'' have to find something else to give me that blue glow from my case.

cheers for the replies

jozi

Ah, the blackline is classy :) Kinda titanium coated, so very dark and shiny. Was gonna get that originally, but said what the hell, be adventurous and get some blue light thingys. DOn't have a window, but the wall looks nice behind it! :)

• Advertisement

So no leds then.

Have a window alright in my case, prob just get one of them coldcathode tubes (why they called "cold"cathode?) to make up for the loss of the blue glow from the top of the case.

jozi

Originally posted by jozi
    So no leds then.

Have a window alright in my case, prob just get one of them coldcathode tubes (why they called "cold"cathode?)
    AFAIK, they just don't give out any heat, which makes them ideal for puters.

Heat is the enemy! :)

I think the colorline was only about 10 yoyo's more than the blackline, but it could take two weeks if HiTiDE are out of stock (which is what happened to me, but they had no blacklines either, so it was much of a muchness).

Edit:
    250 posts. Now officially classed as insane... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Zalman 400 Watt. Love it. Actually a 450 watt and super quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Stay away from Codegen also.

Heard of codegen not being so good alright

thanks for the posts all, think i'll go with the be quiet blackline as colorline isn't available and i'd like to have the pc going again as soon as posible. Whats hitide like for deliveries?
    Just browsing the bit-tech site, lots of interesting things on it, and seen some psu mods. That gave me the idea to maybe add leds into the psu, cant find anything on that site anyone see a how to for it anywhere? Will have a go at doing a google tomorrow.
    thanks,
    Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

with regards to just walking into a shop and picking one up when i was shopping for a psu twas back in october or november now www.itdirect.ie on parlament street had the antec true blue 480w which has a blue led and is a quality psu, it will set ya back about 130 euro iirc though fantastically stable rails

data

HiTiDE are good, the only problem is that they don't take credit card, so you have to do a credit transfer or post a cheque. The CT could take 2-3 days to clear. Once that's in their account off it goes with SDS, so normally next day once they get your payment (unless like me your deliveries go out on Friday so SDS don't get them to you till Monday).

As Data says, the Antec are also really good. Never had one, but have only heard good things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by jozi
    I taught i seen a tread like this not so long ago but i cant find it.

I'm in the market for a new psu, what would you's recomend and where would you get it.

I'd like it to be 450watt at least, i know its more than enough but i'd like a little extra for future upgrades to the pc.
    And i want one as quiet as possible, dont mind it having fans as long as they're not to noisey (the ones on my antec where grand).

I know there's some brands i'm better off staying away from if someone could tell me which that be great.
    I was looking at the be quiet ones on hited, are they really quiet? What are they like power wise, reliability?
    Antec, know for a fact they are up there with the best but what gets near? Should i get one of them and be safe in knowing that it will work as good as it should?

I hope to get one tomorrow in dublin so someone please convince me on what i should go for before i go out and get one.

Thanks
    Jozi

It depends how future-proof you want it. nVidia's new gfx card (6800u) recommends 480w minimum, and needs 2 seperate molex connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

FORTRAN, Zalman and Enermax/Antec are good.

Went to dublin today (lovely weather!!!) and got a antec 430 w true power, was hoping to get the 480 but it was out of stock and i didn't want to wait for new stock to come in.
    Nearly went for a be quiet but when adeptus posted about the time it takes to clear cheque's and that they dont do cred card i taught maybe not didn't really want to wait for it as i have project stuff on my hd i have to work on.

anyway, first impressions are that it is more quiet than my old psu not sure if the rpm mbm5 show is the right one but i'll sort that later.

thanks for the replies

jozi

I have an antec SL400, its stable as fcuk, but its such a noisy bugger. Is there any way to silence these things? I'd hate to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I have a antec 480 watt great power supply. If your powersupply is too noisy replace the fan in it with a quieter one.

Hmm... after some experimentation (ie, disconnecting everything and running the PSU by itself), it turns out my PSU is quiet enough. Tried running just PSU + cpu cooler. still not too loud. Then connected everything else back up and it sounds like a hurricane again.

I think my graphics card's fan may be contributing a lot of the noise. Maybe the 2 hard disks as well, I can't tell which component is actually making most of the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Nearly went for a be quiet but when adeptus posted about the time it takes to clear cheque's and that they dont do cred card

Well AFAIK they do accept cash when you are picking it up directly. Anyway you wont be dissapointed with the antec, there great PSU's, depending on load they can be quiet or slightly noisey....... But always good quality :) .
    I have a antec 480 watt great power supply. If your powersupply is too noisy replace the fan in it with a quieter one.

Yea the 480w antec is a sweet PSU, i really loved it TBH........ was very quiet and lovely blue lights (trueblue edition), not to mention almost perfect rails.
    Replacing the PSU fan voids the warenty. But in fairness most power supplys work fine with lower voltage or quieter fans. IMO its worth the gamble....... Im running a 300w PSU with the 120mm fan @5v constantly (prime95 stable) with an overclocked system , most PSU's cool more than they need. Pop in a decent Paspst fan and you should be ok :) .

Other than that go for a be-quiet....... prob going to be my next purchase for my true'ly silent rig - might get a passive one it this doesent do the job, but im confident in it (have tried for silence before, am wiser and more determimed this time ;)).

Advertisement