Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Minute Recomendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Yeah but Kavanagh is off the course this year and its his centenary too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I like hyphenating words that seem like two seperate words.
    The english study must be getting to you if you're noticing things like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Originally posted by Healio
    And id say Derek Mahon is more of a definite than Kavnagh, as Mahon hasnt been asked yet and he is not on the course for next two years at least!!!

If your gonna plan like that...the best option is to study Plath, Dickinson, Woordsworth and Hopkins.
    This covers you from all angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

im not really a fan of wordsworth, i havent done plath or hopkins, im lookin for either kavanagh, mahon or dickinson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

My Eng. teacher said "look to the ladies".Either shes punning Macbeth or she meant Plath and Dickinson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

literary genre is the easiest

Yeah right! Maybe for your stories it is, but when you have a 2 plays and a film, litery genre becomes quite difficult. With a film you are expected to be able to talk about camera angles etc. Not that easy to do.

Generally what people remember best is the themes (such as Love etc). Everyone can remember examples of love, but not always where the low panning camera angle was used.

Theme or issue is generally quite straight forward, and requires little or no thinking when actually doing the question. A bit of preparation before hand, and a good idea of the 2 main themes/issues in your texts are all you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

To cover yourself completely in Poetry, do Dickinson and Plath - a lady poet comes up each year, and do two out of Kavanagh, Mahon and Heaney - an Irish poet comes up each year also,... afaik :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Haha, I love this "definately coming up" crap; the amount of waffles people eat seems to increase the closer they get to exams...

well for me literary genre is the easiest im doing:

Plough and the stars
    An Evil Cradling
    Strictly Ballroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Originally posted by subway_ie
    So where'd you plagiarise all that from?

It's all experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Originally posted by CuLT
    Haha, I love this "definately coming up" crap; the amount of waffles people eat seems to increase the closer they get to exams...

Yeah, we were told Donncha Bán was DEFINITELY coming up for Higher Irish-by a teacher who's usually accurate at these things-and it didn't.

well i had mt last class with the english today, he reckons mahon, dickinson, kavanagh and wordsworth. He also thinks a joint question on macduff/banquo will come i.i the roles they play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Originally posted by Healio
    well i had mt last class with the english today, he reckons mahon, dickinson, kavanagh and wordsworth. He also thinks a joint question on macduff/banquo will come i.i the roles they play.

My teacher said pretty much the same thing - Hopkins instead of Wordsworth, but all the rest is identical. This must be a Sign, right? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

All the english teachers in our school are concentrating on Dickinson, Wordsworth and Kavanagh. Makes me regret not doing Kavanagh now. I think I'll be sticking with Dickinson as my main poet.

Advertisement