Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB blocking ports?

• 24-04-2004 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I've seen mention on a few threads of IBB possibly blocking ports that affect P2P programs. Could we get a list maybe of affected programs?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They don't block any ports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

while they dont block any ports, they might have traffic shapers installed, limiting traffic on popular P2P ports. Unfortunately, there's no way around that kind of block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

on IBB i can rarely get a level higher than poor on Limewire, and my edonkey speed is very low also. Anyone else have these probs, or know of a way of solving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

when they installed my router they blocked near all the ports for p2p,bittorent and a host of other programs and have so far refused to give me the password and username to change the ports for the router they sold me...so i guess they are trying to restrict such programs in any way they can.

tell them you need to open ports on the router, or some such story. They should provide you with a password etc.

If they don't, return it and get your money back (if you paid for it) or just live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    tell them you need to open ports on the router, or some such story. They should provide you with a password etc.

If they don't, return it and get your money back (if you paid for it) or just live with it.

You can't get your money back if you signed a contract which states that you accept they prioritise traffic and p2p will get low priority (seems to be the case with every wireless isp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

You don't sign a contract when you purchase a router.

If has bought the router in full, it is his do with as he will.

IF they are packet shaping, there's nothing you can do.

IF they are using the router to block off specific ports completely, you are perfectly within rights to gain access to the router and change those ports.

there are indeed using the router to block the ports-nearly every single port is blocked-i think there was 12 open in the first 60000 when i scanned earlier.ridiculous-im gona try and sort it out finally next week.if ny1 else has got a router off them i think they use the same default user and pass so i would very much appreciate it if u cud pm the details.cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Wait that doesn't mean that they blocked the ports. Routers block every port by default and only open them when they detect traffic on your side.

Ring IBB and say you need to open ports for video conversations on MSN Messenger. They should give it to you. Otherwise you could try using the default username and pass that most routers have, IBB may not have changed it. Google for it.

• Advertisement

i will ring them 2moro and report back.

i have tried the default username and password but to no avail.

they once told me that they cudnt give them to me because if they did and i opened ports my warranty wud be invalidated-i just laughed. seems they will do almost nything to prevent users from opening them up

...bear in mind im on breeze plus 8:1 so ud think that since im paying them the extra to shorten my contention ratio on an already so called unlimited service that they would have allowed me to do my own thing from the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Make sure to specify that it's the router that you want to get into and not the Avarion/navini equipment. They will never ever give you that information and whoever you're talking to may have been confused.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They don't block any ports as I said before,but if you ask for the user name and password chances are they will give it to you if you tell them that you don't mind voiding your warranty with them,Its the same with most isps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by Moonbeam
    They don't block any ports as I said before,but if you ask for the user name and password chances are they will give it to you if you tell them that you don't mind voiding your warranty with them,Its the same with most isps

How can you void warranty by adjusting the ports or other configuration on your router? Its not like your opening the routher or something like that.

Maybe the tech support person thought that "opening ports" meant that you opened the case and started soldering on the circuit board, opening and closing ports that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭statto

Have IBB confirmed that they block or limit P2P traffic? Their web site advertises unrestricted uploads and downloads. This could be seen as false advertising. I certainly would have thought twice about signing up had I know they block certain services (not that I am a prolific user of P2P). Does anyone know that T&C clause they are using to implement this blocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

I don't believe it ! They provided you a router and don't want to give you control over it !

I guess some users might be stupid enough to screw up everything and lock themselves out which would generate some support calls... we all know how much they like to support their customers.

If they don't want to give you access cancel the router option, return the damn thing and buy one. They're not that expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I am experiencing the same problem. They seem to be prioritizing bandwidth towards web traffic rather than p2p. I know that they prohibit illegal activities but how do they know that i am downloading copywritten material?And why do they care if eircom, iol and whoever else dont do anything about theirs? I am paying for breeze plus with the lower contention ratio (?)the expensive one anyway, and i dont see the point in this if i cannot get full usage out of the service. Pings are already terrible but this was conpensated for by high dl speeds and unlimited cap. What can be done about this? I believe this is illegal under the sales of goods and supply of services act, under the heading legal ownership and quiet possesion. It states that a consumer has the right to assume he can use the service without interference. This was not stated on the contract and is only a recent development, but most of the time i cannot even connect to p2p networks due to this and when i do, the highest dl speed i can get is 10kbps. Most of my mates who are on eircom or iol are getting around 40kbps. To test this i asked on eof them to dl the same bittorrent file as myself and they got 70kbps and mine didnt even connect. I am really dissapointed with this. Can anyone else explain why this is happening or what can be done?

well basically i got pissed off with their ridiculous messing over a router they simply refused to anything with so i contacted the manufacturer who said they would reset it and open everything up so that i could then customise-so i have to wait till that returns in the post from the uk

in the meantime i have directly linked the one system to the connection and to be honest speeds have been pretty much maxed ableit a little bit slower in bad bad weather. this includes tests across p2p,bittorent http etc. it does go completely down for about 10 seconds every now and again and the auto kicks back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Its kinda hard to do anything because they already stated that they will prioratise their bandwith. You knew that when you signed up with them.

• Advertisement

we are on an 8:1 connection-how much prioritising can they possibly do? surely cant be that much necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 deadlock

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I don't know if port blocking is your problem.

I know Digiweb have had similar complaints from other posters here and they instist that there has never been any prioritisation on their service.

I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that they do not assign temporary IP's (at least in Digiwebs case - dunno about IBB) but instead route all traffic through one external ip. I doubt that P2P could work to full standard when you are using the same external facing IP as 100 other people. Although I wouldn't know the technical specifics of the setup I would suspect that this plays a role in almost disabling P2P traffic.

The only thing I ever use P2P for is dcc'ing files to other people. It used to be extremely useful when trying to send files over the web with my old ISDN line and it is very frustrating working without it but I can't get it to work at all with Digiweb. I have enquired and written to them about it but no joy.

I wonder can anyone clear it up for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Its kinda hard to do anything because they already stated that they will prioratise their bandwith. You knew that when you signed up with them.

I dont use much bandwidth at all and i am on the 8:1 contention which as far as im concerned doesnt make any difference. Also the above may be true but that does not explain why when i signed up about 2months ago that i was gettin high dl speeds and now im not unless it has been changed w/out informing me

It always helps if you use non-standard ports for your apps if you think you are being throttled. More often than not a specific port is throttled, so if you change the port that your app uses, then you avoid the throttling.

Its worth a shot, but i know i have no problems with IBB and speeds.

'quote:

Gotta love misrepresentation of the facts. IBB never refused to give you your username/password Gsands. My recollection is that before you ever asked us for it, you had already attempted the factory reset on the router (thus voiding any obligation that IBB had to supporting it - this is what you were told at the time, not that you had invalidated the warranty). We can't give you a username/password combination if we don't know what it is, can we?

Also, as far as configuration goes, when we send out a router, we've put the WAN IP on it and the LAN IP and a username/password combo. Nothing else. No ports are blocked, unless they're blocked by default. When you were scanning, what exactly where you scanning? The outside address of the router itself?' endquote

i rang on multiple occassions and emailed a load of times as well asking for my username/password and what did i get back? no returned calls and no return email. and that was before i went near the factory reset which was a last resort as i was getting no use whatsoever out of customer service-if u check your records you would see that as well. in addition all my ports were blocked to start with otherwise i wouldnt have been looking to open them...obviously. also- ive explained that even now that u claim it is factory reset it is not accepting factory reset password and username and no i didnt break it when i reset-i followed the instructions in the manual i downloaded of the net which i was never given with my purchase of the router. so this leaves me to think that the password u set may still be the password in use-but could i get it out of customer service-no. i also find it strange that u have found time to post here but i havnt been able to get an email reply for a long long time. when scanning the router for open ports i was scanning the actually router address 192.168 etc, and i tried using a lot of web applications which told me the ports were closed.

and now just to add to it ive been doing speed tests through independant sites since this morning and im getting no more than 56k speeds-less on most occassions which is strange when i was maxing previously on the occassion that i had naything to download-im aware that when all 8 users are utilising at the same time taking up bandwidth that it could go this low but i find it hard to believe that has been the case all day-i am not using the router anymore and will be sending it back to the manufacturer whom im hope will shed some light on the situation. i have since last week been directly connecting to the wan cable into the one pc. the network card is working perfectly as far as i can tell. u should note that i havnt posted here since one of the customer service girls actually shockingly did call me back last week and explained that she had no idea what was wrong with the router but that she cudnt help me.i suggest that you email me instead making points publicly here accusing me of misrepresentation.

grego17@hotmail.com

Regards.

speed appears to have gone up a bit now-up to 15k a sec or so across a range of tested http downloads-hardly 8:1 512k tho is it?and lets not have the minimum agreement statement-its been maxing before recently-also there are intermittant gaps where the connection fails a few times an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 deadlock

*ahem*

8-1 contention guarantees a minimum of 8kb/sec on a 512kbps connection. (512/8=64kbps=8kb/sec). A speed of 15kb/sec is like 4-1 contention.

• Advertisement

seems to be damaged?

yeah i had guessed that but considering the second i took it out of the box i put it on a shelf where it hasnt been touched except to power down recently and to follow factory reset exactly. that would suggest that it was damaged when i received it. but luckily for ibb of course the 'factory reset-which hasnt worked' means there is no support -i have relayed my problem to a dlink rep on the dlink support forum who has said this as well. so i get supplied a faulty router, which has not been physically damaged or firmware altered by myself but my isp who sold it to me wont take it back-'interesting' is all i can say to this one

mutant-the speed was 4k or lower all day-just went up to 15k,its never gone this low before though-has generally always maxed out-

Advertisement