Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nf7-s xp2500+ overclock

Options
  • 24-04-2004 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

I just changed from xp2500+ in the bios to xp3200+.
    I have 2x OCZ 256MB PC3200 Performance sticks of ram.
    An antec 480w psu.
    I ran prime 95 for about 4-5 hours with no errors.
    The cpu temp hasn't gone past 50c under load.

Is this alright to do?
    Is there a better way to overclock this?
    Any advice is welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Is this alright to do?

Yea thats perfect. Very nice overclock and since its ran prime95 for 4-5 hours its pretty much totally stable (to be sure to be sure 8 hours is really needed but in general if it lasts 5 hours its not going to fail after 8).

Is that with stock voltage?

Temps are perfect and you dont have to worry about your PSU as its top notch . You pretty much seemed to pick the best components and depending on your CPU cooler & case fans you can go for more than Xp3200+ .......

Give more details about voltage, cooling and what type of ram. Very nice so far and you have room in the temps to safely go higher :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Glad to hear thats alright. It just seemes too easy to do.

I haven't touched the voltage myself, does changing from 2500 - 3200 in the bios change the voltage?
    Should I change it myself?

I also have a thermaltake xaser III case and a coolermaster Aero 7+.

The ram is 2x OCZ 256MB PC3200 Performance Series EL-DDR CAS2 .

Are there any other settings in the bios I should alter?

At the moment the cpu is running at 38c according to speed fan/ hardcano thermometer.

One final question does a 2500 overclocked to 3200 perform the same a 3200?

Thanks for the help

I haven't touched the voltage myself, does changing from 2500 - 3200 in the bios change the voltage?

No this keeps the voltage at the same level as the Xp2500+ (1.65v).
    I also have a thermaltake xaser III case and a coolermaster Aero 7+.

Yea thats very good air cooling, hope you dont have the fans on full as the combo of the Xaser and Aero7 is like a jet plane (have the XaserII myself).
    One final question does a 2500 overclocked to 3200 perform the same a 3200?

The exact same, there is no difference between an overclocked Xp2500+ and the Xp3200+ performance wise.
    You should install hardware doctor (comes on the abit NF7 cd) and see what the temp readings are.

How do you find the noise level? Your Ram is good enough to be overclocked, your cooling is fine for more, the fact that you havent altered the voltage gives you a nice ammount of room for more....... you have a solid overclock as it is, you could prob stretch it to 2.35ghz without much hassle but you would have to up the voltage a little and run the ram at Pc3500 (which should be fine :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

How do you find the noise level?

Not too bad I have the fans on low, my graphics card (creative geforce ti4200) is quite noisey though (hoping to replace this in the near future).

I might try and overclock a bit more like you said.

One more thing whats all this processor being locked lark, and how can I tell if mine is locked or not?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Callan
    One more thing whats all this processor being locked lark, and how can I tell if mine is locked or not?

The speed at which a processor runs is determinded by the multiplier times the front side bus (FSB). Until quite recently, you could manipulate both in the BIOS, e.g. an AMD Athlon XP 2400 Thoroughbred runs at a multiplier of 15 times a FSB of 133 = 2000MHz. You could change the multiplier AND/OR the FSB

With the latest versions of the Athlon XP (later Barton and Thorton) you cannot change the multiplier any more. The same is the case for current Intel CPU's and the AMD Athlon 64 CPU's). The only way then to overclock is to up the FSB as you have very succesfully done already :)

Go with COL_LOKI's advice and up the vcore to allow increasing the FSB and your rig might even get better :cool:

What timings have you got your ram running at? You can see these in the BIOS. Your ram is suitable for trying fairly tight timings. See the stickies on this forum for details

• Advertisement

how can I tell if mine is locked or not?

Well if you bought it in the last 6months then its prob locked. Try to change the multiplier in the BIOS, if it works then its unlocked, if it doesent then its locked.
    Your ram is suitable for trying fairly tight timings

Yea id say 2-3-3-7 @215mhz without much hassle which would give the CPU a speed of 2.35ghz. You almost definetly have to increase the voltage to the CPU to get it to be stable at that. What cooling do you have?

Generally under 1.8v is fine, just watch temps and check for stability with prime95. Try in 5mhz FSB increases, ie go from 200mhz FSB to 205mhz fsb and see if its prime95 stable. If its not put up the Vcore voltage one notch and try with prime95 again (usually 1hour ish is plenty as your just getting an idea of stability). When you hit your goal test with prime95 for 6-8hrs and if it passes sit back and enjoy the free performance.

Up the voltage (Vdimm) on the ram to 2.7v when your doing this (its still guarenteed so dont worry).

Advertisement