Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EircomNet Webmail problem

Options
  • 24-04-2004 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

Here's the problem.

If I am in work/abroad/away from my home computer I use webmail.eircom.net to check my mail.

However, whatever the eircoms mail server does to the email once it is checked through webmail it renders it invisible to POP3 clients.

I use Pegasus Mail, but I tried Opera Mail and a couple of other utilities to see if they handled it any better, no luck.

I vaguely remember Outlook Express being able to see all the mail, read or otherwise...
    Do eircom really force you to choose between webmail or POP3?

Any ideas?

tribble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Do eircom really force you to choose between webmail or POP3?

in a word, YES. once its "collected" by the webmail OE etc cant see it, spent a fortune on their customer care line to find this out, yahoo mail is a better system in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

another annoying thing about eircom.net email, is that if you dont log into the webmail part of it for a certain period of time, then all your email stored on there is deleted. a few years back i lost about 800 emails (it thankfully kept the folders for me though), even though i was accessing the pop3 eircom.net at least a dozen times a day. they never sent me an email to say the webmail contents would be deleted. customer care werr sometimes helpful, sometimes not. they said they could recover my deleted emails, but it never happened. so keep this in mind.

dw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

in a word, YES. once its "collected" by the webmail OE etc cant see it, spent a fortune on their customer care line to find this out, yahoo mail is a better system in this regard.

Weird, it's not like it's benn collected and then deleted.
    I don't even read most of them, just look at the headers...

Thanks lads,

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Weird, it's not like it's benn collected and then deleted.
    I don't even read most of them, just look at the headers...

Once you open up your webmail account your mail has been collected from the mailserver and removed, if you wish to check your mail from a browser just go to www.mail2web.com.. enter in your username/password and you can check your mail to your hearts content and it will still be there for you when you use your mail client.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I'm using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 to send/receive my mail. I can receive my mail from eircom.net address but can never send them. I keep getting this back from System Administrator saying

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:
    Sent: 26/05/2004 10:11

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'xxxxxx@xxxx.ie' on 26/05/2004 10:11
    553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

does anyone know what's this about?
    Sorry to be posting in someone else's thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by AntiRip
    I'm using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 to send/receive my mail. I can receive my mail from eircom.net address but can never send them. I keep getting this back from System Administrator saying

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:
    Sent: 26/05/2004 10:11

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'xxxxxx@xxxx.ie' on 26/05/2004 10:11
    553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

does anyone know what's this about?
    Sorry to be posting in someone else's thread
    Are you dialled into eircom? Are you trying to send mail from joebloggs@eircom.net or from a different email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I have the same problem - not dialed up through Eircom so can't send. Someone mentioned before that you need to 'pop' , or logon to the server prior to sending and that should work, but I could never get it to work for me on any email client unfortunately :(

Originally posted by seamus
    Are you dialled into eircom? Are you trying to send mail from joebloggs@eircom.net or from a different email address?

I'm using UTVXL & yes I'm trying to send from joebloggs@eircom.net. I'm guessing you're going to say I have to be dialled into to eircom ?
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by AntiRip
    I'm using UTVXL & yes I'm trying to send from joebloggs@eircom.net. I'm guessing you're going to say I have to be dialled into to eircom ?
    :(
    Not necessarily. If you set up a mail server on your own machine, set it to send mail only originating from 127.0.0.1 and also setup outlook so your SMTP server is 127.0.0.1 and you should be able to send mail from any address.

If I lost you at "server", begin using a different address for outgoing mail :)

Originally posted by seamus
    Not necessarily. If you set up a mail server on your own machine, set it to send mail only originating from 127.0.0.1 and also setup outlook so your SMTP server is 127.0.0.1 and you should be able to send mail from any address.

If I lost you at "server", begin using a different address for outgoing mail :)

thanks Seamus
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Or just use the UTV smtp server (smtp.utvinternet.com) with joebloggs@eircom.net in the From: field. it'll work.

Originally posted by Stephen
    Or just use the UTV smtp server (smtp.utvinternet.com) with joebloggs@eircom.net in the From: field. it'll work.

That DOES work!!

Thanks a million Stephen
    :D

Advertisement