Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Javascript and speed of boards.

Options
  • 24-04-2004 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Even with BB, boards is soooo slow until I switch off JS. At which point its like Master McGrath after a particuarly juicy hare. Okay the drop down menu is disabled and a few other features dont work but I think I can live with that.

So the question is why does JS have such a detrimental effect? I'm using Opera 7.21/Win98se.

Mike.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I get most threads within 3-4 seconds... is that about what you are seeing? I am using the Javascript...

It think its a rendering time rather then a download time but I'm not using a particularly good machine...

Have to admit its not bothering me much (which is why I'm curious if you are seeing a worse slowdown...)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I had only one window open then 3 seconds would be slow but (and I'm sure I'm typical in this) I'll have up to a dozen boards windows open and the more windows the slower each refresh becomes...also I'm impatient!

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've covered this before so no need to go back into detail. For the record though, I get most pages in 1-2 seconds with the menus blocked on my router, 3-5 with them on. 3-5 seconds is far too long to wait for a page, especially with the number of pages people will request checking their favourite forums. Since most people only reply to or examine the occasional thread in detail, most of their time is spent scanning, which means their average session could be cut in half on Boards (or better, more of that time spent checking out different forums and expanding their horizons). You don't get many complaints, but I'd guess that's because people simply think the server is overloaded. I wonder how many compliments you'd get if the menus were improved?

It does seem to only affect people with not-so-powerful machines though.

adam

Advertisement