Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there software like there is ATI TOOL etc for your gfx card except for ur cpu/ram?

Options
  • 24-04-2004 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Since flashing my 9800 pro to an xt bios. I am sort of trying to do more stuff overall like my cpu and ram. But I have no clue how to do it and was wondering if there is software out there like ATI TOOL except for the cpu and ram so It can be slightly easier?

Cheers guys
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Some motherboards come with software for overclocking while within the OS. WHat is your Mobo? I think you're better off doing it through the BIOS though. It's not too difficult. The methods you use will depend on your CPU, but generally start with upping your FSB, and perhaps tweking the multiplier (if AMD).

It's not all that difficult really. Even I managed it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

There is clockgen if you want to try. It can be used to up you fsb and multiplier.

[Edit]: Although clockgen doesnt really tell you what maximum you can overclock your system. You have to do manually.[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by cheesedude
    Since flashing my 9800 pro to an xt bios. I am sort of trying to do more stuff overall like my cpu and ram. But I have no clue how to do it and was wondering if there is software out there like ATI TOOL except for the cpu and ram so It can be slightly easier?

Cheers guys

No, there is no "BIOS" flashing for RAM or CPU, nor are there any hidden/locked features which can be opened by software.
    The closest comparison would be trying to enable the extra 256K of L2 cache on a Thorton to make it a "barton".

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have an MSI 648 Max.

Thanks for the advice guys. Ill have a gander around.

PS: How does one do it via the bios? Am i looking at options like FSB and Voltages? There is software for my pc. I can get P4 2.54ghz to 2.66ghz by bringing the FSB up to 140. Any more than that and it locks up.

Any ideas?

What is all this stuff I see regarding ram like in Adeptus Titanicus sig: 1024Mb OCZ PC3700 @ 1:1 2.5-3-3-7 ????

Thanks Anyway for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

1024Mb = 1 Gigabyte of ram
    OCZ = dimm manufacturer (not neccessarily the ram chip manufacturer)
    PC3700 = DDR433Mhz, 3.7GigByte/sec bandwidth
    @ 1:1 - FrontSideBus and Memory clock speeds are synchronised (ie 216.5Mhz)
    2.5-3-3-7 = 2.5clocks CAS latency, 3clocks RAS, 3clocks CAS-to-RAS, 7clocks RAS precharge (or something)

CAS = Column Address Strobe
    RAS = Row " " " "
    RAS precharge = I forget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by cheesedude
    I have an MSI 648 Max.
    How does one do it via the bios? Am i looking at options like FSB and Voltages? There is software for my pc. I can get P4 2.54ghz to 2.66ghz by bringing the FSB up to 140. Any more than that and it locks up.

Any ideas?
    What sort of ram have you got?
    To find your highest stable FSB, do the following:
    Set your DRAM Frequency to 3:2 (1:1 if it's PC2700 or faster)
    Set your AGP/PCI Frequency locked at 66/33 (very important)

msi648max_bios3.jpg

Now, you should be able to reach fsb150 easy, but start at 140 and go up 3Mhz at a time. With a bit of luck, you'll reach 160fsb (3Ghz).
    If the PC freezes, crashes, or reboots, then reduce fsb by 5Mhz and run Prime95 to check for stability. If it fails, keep reducing fsb by 2Mhz until you find the highest possible stable FSB at stock voltage.
    Now, If your not happy with your o/c (e.g. below 160fsb), then raise fsb by ~5 and then increase the vcore in steps of ~0.025v until it's prime95 stable, or the vcore reaches 1.65v+ (you can go higher if you like, google for more info on safe vcores).

Keep a close eye on your temps. The Intel stock cooler should be ok up to 3Ghz but extra vcore can heat things up a bit.

When you've found your cpu's max, you can work on your ram.

Originally posted by Sir Random
    What sort of ram have you got?
    To find your highest stable FSB, do the following:
    Set your DRAM Frequency to 3:2 (1:1 if it's PC2700 or faster)
    Set your AGP/PCI Frequency locked at 66/33 (very important)

msi648max_bios3.jpg

Now, you should be able to reach fsb150 easy, but start at 140 and go up 3Mhz at a time. With a bit of luck, you'll reach 160fsb (3Ghz).
    If the PC freezes, crashes, or reboots, then reduce fsb by 5Mhz and run Prime95 to check for stability. If it fails, keep reducing fsb by 2Mhz until you find the highest possible stable FSB at stock voltage.
    Now, If your not happy with your o/c (e.g. below 160fsb), then raise fsb by ~5 and then increase the vcore in steps of ~0.025v until it's prime95 stable, or the vcore reaches 1.65v+ (you can go higher if you like, google for more info on safe vcores).

Keep a close eye on your temps. The Intel stock cooler should be ok up to 3Ghz but extra vcore can heat things up a bit.

When you've found your cpu's max, you can work on your ram.

Holy ****. *drooling*

You know your stuff man. How did you get that so fast? That is my exact bios. :eek:

And how do you know the settings etc?

Will try first thing tmro morning.

Cheers man,
    Greatly Appreciated even if it does not work out for me!

Tried today. No luck. I could not even get it past 135mhz fsb without it crashing. This has to be a driver issue. Any suggestions?

Not too sure what to do. Have tried googling and it could be sis 648 related which is my main chipset. But people with my board can at least hit 2.8ghz. There must be a driver conflicting..

Thanks anyway for the help.

Any other suggestions, im listening as always.:)

What ram are you using?

Im using 2 twinmos pc2700 cl2.5 512mb sticks of ram.

• Advertisement

Probably your ram is holding you back.

Really?

How come?

I'm not sure but when you raise your fsb, you raise your memory as well. Since PC2700 is only 333Mhz, it really depends on your memory up tp what level you can overclock past the 333Mhz if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right Neo, but his cpu is a 533Mhz "b" chip, with a stock 133fsb. That ram should handle up to 166fsb at 1:1.

cheesedude, are you sure you locked the AGP/PCI at 66/33?

The mobo and ram should have no probs with a higher fsb and your cpu will almost certainly go higher than 135.

If it's not the AGP/PCI lock, then try using just one stick of ram, then try the other one. The only other thing I can think of is the PSU, but I doubt if such a small o/c would draw that much extra juice.

Originally posted by Sir Random
    You're right Neo, but his cpu is a 533Mhz "b" chip, with a stock 133fsb. That ram should handle up to 166fsb at 1:1.

cheesedude, are you sure you locked the AGP/PCI at 66/33?

The mobo and ram should have no probs with a higher fsb and your cpu will almost certainly go higher than 135.

If it's not the AGP/PCI lock, then try using just one stick of ram, then try the other one. The only other thing I can think of is the PSU, but I doubt if such a small o/c would draw that much extra juice.

Now that you mention power, good point raised.

I have a Zalman 400watt psu(zalman again lol). I have two hard drives, a cd-rw and two dvd drives(as far cry prefers to work on one of them :rolleyes: the one that is 6 years old :dunno:), i have two papst fans, and a radeon 9800 pro all using power. Cant think of anything else using power.

Would that really be draining it out? I heard its actual output was 450 watt.

PS: I tried the ram thing and still no joy with either one. I have a feeling it is my msi 648 max motherboard. To be honest with you, I am blaming SIS. Teaches me never to buy SIS again. I have had driver problems with SIS not updating and having to manually load the .inf file for AGP/USB etc. Pain in the ass. :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway for the help. Any other suggestions, shoot them this way.

PPS: I definitely followed your exact setting Sir Random. I have a feeling its SIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

async the RAM and run it at 2100+ speeds to see if its the problem. I think your RAM is holding you back too.

Certain mobo's seems to like a particular ram and wont run well on just any ram. I know my mobo has this problem. Thank god it work well for me but I've read a lot of ppl saying they have tried 2-3 types of ram and still couldnt get it to work well. Not sure whether this applies to your mobo.

Advertisement