Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club: May 14th

Options
  • 24-04-2004 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Well, the most popular choice seems to have been Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

Timeframe:
    Start the discussion on the 14th of May. That should give everyone time to pick up the book and read it. It will also give enough time to run the Poll for the next month and have a result for the 1st June.

I think we should treat this as a trial run before we start actively generating interest from other forums. Sort of make our mistakes now while the number of participants is managable.

As for book recommendations:
    Just ahvign the moderator (me) suggest them would not be a good idea. My reading taste would not be suitable for everyone. Having a broad range of suggestions almost guarantees that there is something for everyone on offer.. however, book clubs are all about expanding your tastes so even if there is no book perfect for you on the voting list, please vote for the one you think you could manage to see through to the end.

to be removed from the poll for next month: Life of Pi and Million little pieces.

Please PM your suggestions for th ebook club to me or post them here. I will add them in order of suggestion.

Places online to buy Life of Pi:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/184195392X/qid=1082816125/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_11_1/202-4918897-3806267

http://www.buy4now.ie/Eason/
    €10.42

Or your local bookstore or Library.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

ok, I appreciate eagerness but we havent even started the first book yet :)

How about we wait until the discussion etc starts before suggesting new books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭parker larkin

okay life of pi it is, how is this going to work though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

well, at it's most basic I will sticky a thread for the discussion of the book on May 14th. warning: THIS THREAD WILL NOT REQUIRE PEOPLE TO USE SPOILER TAGS . So if oyu read somethin goyu dont want to read, tough luck. The thread will be for the discussion of a book by peopl ewho have already read that book.

If people want to organise an IRC chat for discussion, grand. If people want to arrange to meet up for a discussion. also grand. I will only moderate a thread on this board.

During the discussion the vote for the next book will begin. The discussion thread will not be locked however as people might want to revisit arguments at a later date.

Obviously there are better ways to organise this but the details we can hammer out as we go. The biggest obstacle is just getting it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭parker larkin

sounds alright to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

So with D-Day fast approaching, how many people have read the book?

Advertisement