Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"History of Folly" on BBC Radio 4, Saturday 1030h

Options
  • 24-04-2004 3:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi all -

For the next four weeks, Frances Wheen, occasional panellist on Radio 4's News Quiz and author, is doing a radio version of his current book on silliness. The program's being broadcast on saturday mornings at 1030h and its homepage is at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/history_of_folly.shtml

...from where you can "listen again" to it.

Enjoy.

- robin.

== program summary =======================================

Sat 24 Apr, 10:30 - 11:00 30 mins

Francis Wheen presents a series looking at some of mankind's greatest blunders.

1/4. Group Think

Why, to begin at the beginning, did Trojan rulers drag that suspicious-looking wooden horse inside their walls despite every reason to suspect a Greek trick? In the first of a new series, Francis Wheen examines the perennial tendency of politicians, scientists, and others in authority to act perversely, and how, when more rational alternatives are clearly present, the best and the brightest can blithely and arrogantly march into colossal blunders.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

robindch wrote: »
    Why, to begin at the beginning, did Trojan rulers drag that suspicious-looking wooden horse inside their walls despite every reason to suspect a Greek trick? .

Laoco�n warned his fellow Trojans against the wooden horse presented to the city by the Greeks. In the Aeneid, Virgil gives Laoco�n the famous line Equo ne credite, Teucri / Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentis, or "Do not trust the Horse, Trojans / Whatever it is, I fear the Greeks even when they bring gifts." This line is the source of the saying: "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts."
    The Trojans disregarded his advice, however, and in his resulting anger Laoco�n threw his spear at the Horse. Poseidon (some say Athena), who was supporting the Greeks, subsequently sent sea-serpents to strangle Laoco�n and his two sons, Antiphantes and Thymbraeus. (Some accounts say Apollo sent the serpents for an unrelated offense, and only unlucky timing caused the Trojans to misinterpret them as punishment for striking the Horse.)

P.S. You can pick up BBC Radio 4 on your car radio (or any radio with LW) at 198kHz Long wave, loud and clear, over most of western Europe. Even at the far western edge of Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Looking forward to this. Enjoyed his book Mumbo Jumbo when it came out a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Looking forward to this.
    Pgibson bumped a four-year old thread there so, ah, you just missed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

LOL ... even my sky plus couldn't do anything for me on this one!!!

• Advertisement

Myksyk wrote: »
    LOL ... even my sky plus couldn't do anything for me on this one!!!

P.S.
    My real name is "Rip Van Winkle"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

SkepticOne wrote: »
    Looking forward to this. Enjoyed his book Mumbo Jumbo when it came out a few years ago.
    I have it in mp3 format if anybody's interested? It's quite funny :)

Advertisement