Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Moderator

Options
  • 24-04-2004 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Can anyone answer? Whats the "procedure" in relation to becoming a moderator?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

There isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

There shouldn't be a need to become a mod. Its not a goal you need to set yourself.
    Some people are mods of private forums. These could be for clans or something else.
    If a new fourm is suggested, example. "Can I have a forum please to discuss the importance of solar powered toasters". People will post their comments, some might think its a good idea others won't. In the end its up to the Admins if the board is created or not. If it is then they will pick who mods the board. It isn't always the person that suggested it.
    The mod of a board usually has an interest in the given field or has at least some knowledge about.
    If the person that suggested the creation of a new board has a history of spamming or trolling then they probably won't become a mod.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You're required to complete two initiation tests to become a mod on Boards:

1) You must visit every forum on Boards.ie and start a thread with the title "Can I be mod?" In it you're required to detail why you should be mod, qualifications, etc. This will prove to the admins that you can use your initiative.

2) You need to follow the moderator Dustaz around and post "Dustaz Test" every time he posts. If you're able to post this before someone else gets there, this will demonstrate that you're quick on your feet.

Good luck with it!

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Generally but not always:)

Be a well known member of the community
    Levelish head
    Be recommended by other members of the community
    Someone who helps other members by sharing their expertiese
    Mods are usually asked to moderate or help moderate a tricky forum or well used forum by the admins based on some or all or none of the above.

Lots of gushing and stucking up to admins can help

Best way to gtee your modship is to send large brown envelopes stuffed with large denomination notes to me c/o boards.ie, this will also entitle you to cut my grass on the weekends and paint my fence wheneven I want!

But really a mix of the top four usually, there really is no set way!

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Or you could just do the amp test!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Dahamsta test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Best way to gtee your modship is to send large brown envelopes stuffed with large denomination notes to me c/o boards.ie, this will also entitle you to cut my grass on the weekends and paint my fence wheneven I want!

I'd like to remind everyone I sent by envelope stuffed full of cash over months ago, and I've yet to be called to cut grass or paint fences.

I feel so unloved!

..and broke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Sexual Favours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yes but the poster wants to know how to become a mod truckle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by Truckle
    Sexual Favours.

it got me my job, my mortgage and my car. cant beat it!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

milonic test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by clownboy
    Or you could just do the amp test!!
    Or, for the terminally lazy, there's always the low-maintainance Cloud test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Who cares about being a mod?
    It's all just more work for you... it's not as if it's another step up "the ladder"... there isn't even a ladder, so who cares.
    Personally I don't respect someone just because they're mod of some obscure board.
    I think if we had less patronising default tag-lines there wouldn't be this sort of crap in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You're so bitter ;)

John

HARDLY!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

subscribers dont have patronising taglines :) lol

Anyway, dont send money to Vexorg, he will only spend it on hookers and coke. As will regi.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

well you could allways move in with DeVore, that assures you a modship (no offence to dotc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Obviously, being totally insane helps along with having delusions of grandeur.

P.

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Obviously, being totally insane helps along with having delusions of grandeur.

P.

You live in your own little world don't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Half way there Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Boston
    well you could allways move in with DeVore, that assures you a modship (no offence to dotc)

I mod less boards than I did before I moved in. Is it possible that Boston is once again talking utter rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    Who cares about being a mod?
    It's all just more work for you... it's not as if it's another step up "the ladder"... there isn't even a ladder, so who cares.
    Personally I don't respect someone just because they're mod of some obscure board.
    I think if we had less patronising default tag-lines there wouldn't be this sort of crap in the first place.

I agree. (mod of some obscure boards)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

he will only spend it on hookers and coke

Dammit, I could have spent it on that!

Can I have a refund? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by mike65
    I agree. (mod of some obscure boards)

Mike.

Ditto ;)

(obscure not meaning pointless, of course!)

Originally posted by DeVore

Anyway, dont send money to Vexorg, he will only spend it on hookers and coke. As will regi.

DeV.

Like you wouldn't

2527IMAGE0208-med.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

dev.jpg

Too much of a coincidence to call it "red eye"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Originally posted by sceptre
    Half way there Paddy

Halfway there? Hell, he's bout 20 years overdue :p

Originally posted by DeVore
    Yeah and they don't have their avatar stolen by a crazy poster either.
    The plot thickens.
    I propose a new system of even more patronising taglines - maybe start with "Stupid newbie", followed by "Scabby add-blocker" then up to "Skin Flint" once you reach 1000 posts.
    Then if someone has a problem with it, direct them to the new "Guilt Trip" board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I like your idea and would like to propose a new avatar.
    newbie.gif

Oh wait, another vbulletin board is already doing that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by swiss
    Oh wait, another vbulletin board is already doing that :rolleyes:
    Cool got a link?
    On second thoughts you'd better not... talking about other BB's might call for one of Devs patented paddlings :p

Advertisement