Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum suggestion - Online gaming

Options
  • 24-04-2004 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

I propose that an Online Gaming forum be created in the Games section.

There is no specific place to talk about this and organise tournaments, clans, casual games etc.. on boards.ie

Since alot of people are getting broadband, online gaming is definitely increasing in ireland. PS2 online and Xbox live are starting to have an impact also.

If it is to be created I think it would be ideal to create 3 sub-forums for PC, Xbox and PS2

:) Please
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I would also like to propose a subforum for games starting with the word 'the'

No more game forums, there are to many as it is, the games forum more than suits this requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

If the online game already has a forum i suggest u use that.
    Else just use the general games forum imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by DrEvil

If it is to be created I think it would be ideal to create 3 sub-forums for PC, Xbox and PS2

Yes, clearly the games board is so completely overrun with topics regarding console online gaming (I'm not even going to argue against the creation of a PC online gaming forum), that we need to create two more boards - one of which would cater for an online service with, what, three or four online games?

Perhaps you are unsure what the purpose of the games board is for. It is a place for you to talk about games (online and off) and organise tournaments, clans, casual games etc. Amp isn't going to go around deleting, moving or locking those topics, it's what the board is there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

u've got games.

and u've got massively multiplayer.

and then u've got sub forums for the online games that are popular round these parts.

plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I wonder in how many more months will we see another one of these threads. Amp and others have been right in the past about adding more to the Games drop-down. There is no need. Just cause a thread opens up in games about Xbox Live or online gaming in ireland doesn't justify a need for a seperate forum.

SWG has had a few threads lately in the Massive Multiplayer forum but that doesn't mean we need a drop-down for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

I do agree that there are alot of forums in the games section but an online games forum is a valid and needed forum. I think there are forums already there which are IMO useless and of less a need for than it. Maybe a restructure or renaming of games forums would be in order? There are forums such as Half-life, Wolfenstein and Webgames which seem to get little traffic and are fairly useless for the most part compared to 'online gaming'.

How about if you don't want to create a new forum just rename the Webgames to 'Online gaming' or something similar?? This would still encompass Webgames also

Thanks for your time

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well tbh

most of the irish online scene is comprised of these games

Half-Life + Mods
    Quake 1,2,3.
    Unreal 2k4
    Battlefield
    and the MMORPG's (don't know any names of games)

and they all have relative forums.

the halflife forum maybe a bit dead but it just show that not a lot of boarders play HL.

where as there is a load of traffic on the CS board Quake board Unreal board Battefield board and so on.

Fair enough I understand but i'll still be defiant and say there's a need for a seperate forum for online games but i'll give up! :'(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133172&perpage=20&highlight=games%20flogen&pagenumber=2

I suggested something similar a while back, although my idea changed as the argument went on, and it ended up being a way of cutting back on forums rather than expanding them, if you can be bothered you can follow the thread above.

Flogen

just glanced over that thread and seems to mainly discuss an online console type forum which is really what i should have asked for cause it's because of online console gaming i really brought the orginal 'Online gaming' suggestion up.

One thing evident is that the choices of forums in the games section is not very well structured!!

Why not just rename a forum such as Webgames which isn't used??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by DrEvil
    Why not just rename a forum such as Webgames which isn't used??

erm i'd hardly say it isn't used when the last post is dated 23-04-2004

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

well my idea moved on to say that the two LAN rooms should be merged (one is now gone btw), and massively multiplayer be made into Online Gaming, while each individual game forum such as CS and wolfenstein be made into subforums of games or online games. I did originally suggest a console gaming forum, or online console etc etc, but I dont think that would be much of a good idea... a general online gaming forum would be more than adequate.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

wuda been easier if you'd said console online gaming was what you were really interested in.

a quick glance at the games forum first page right now shows only 1 console online gaming post.

Perhaps whats best is that you start posting ur issues/discussions in the standard games forum, and if as you say the scene is getting very popular then it will become evident in time that a seperate forum is needed.

Relativly speaking it isn't used that's what i meant, but there's only 2 topics which are really being used! Why aren't they under the normal game's forum??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

No way man, I've already got waaaay too much ground to cover.
    More boards.ie real-estate would be painful.
    These are not the droids you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Dr. Evil, are you actually arguing that, despite the apparent fact that there simply isn't the demand for an online console gaming board, you should remove one of the existing boards and create one in it's place?

Granted, there are boards that are unneccessary, and that's perhaps a problem. It'd make sense to argue for their removal. But it doesn't make any sense at all to have a virtually unused board replaced by what would be another virtually unused board. "But theeeeey have one, mommy" isnt really an argument for creating a board.

And just to reiterate: feel free to post online console related threads on the games board like everybody else, they won't be removed and you'll be assured of a larger audience.

Advertisement