Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American hostels?

• 24-04-2004 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I'm going to America in July, and I would greatly appreciate if anyone has stayed in a hostel in any of the following American cities, and if they would recommend them or not:

New York
    Chicago
    San Francisco
    Los Angeles
    New Orleans

Cheers,
    The Soapster.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

click here

i stayed in a hostel in san francisco which was quite nice cant remember the name now and the same in new york, which wasnt as nice but was still grand... both had good mixes of people

but that website is fairly comprehensive i think, so have a good trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭catsup

Originally posted by MrJoeSoap
    Hey, I'm going to America in July, and I would greatly appreciate if anyone has stayed in a hostel in any of the following American cities, and if they would recommend them or not:

New York
    Chicago
    San Francisco
    Los Angeles
    New Orleans

Cheers,
    The Soapster.

San Francisco: try the green tortoise hostel on broadway. its hippy-ville, but captures the vibe of san francisco very well. i stayed there for a couple of weeks last summer and spent some time on the bus tours they do (which i would TOTALLY recommend!) great craic, we ran into loads of irish people which can be good and bad. its not the ritz but its clean.

Chicago: im trying to remember the name of the hostel that i stayed in, but it escapes me. want to warn you not to go near it...hole of a place. right beside the L track, cockroaches etc. if i remember ill post again.

Los angeles: a friend of mine stayed in the USA hostel in LA (off hollywood Blvd) and said it was good, and would recommend. Stayed in their Vegas hostel and it was grand. www.usahostels.com

as for new york...are you talkin about manhattan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yeah, i was hoping to stay downtown, as close to all the attractions as possible. www.hostelworld.com is great, as is www.hostels.com, but i wanted to know if anyone had any personal experience because that beats travel agents/booking sites any day! Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by catsup

Chicago: im trying to remember the name of the hostel that i stayed in, but it escapes me. want to warn you not to go near it...hole of a place. right beside the L track, cockroaches etc. if i remember ill post again.

Hi, I'm planning on going to visit Chicago myself, will probably be staying in hostels for my visit since I'm a broke student :D Any tips on where to get good, cheap accomodation or any places to visit in the Illinois/area? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The hostels i stayed in in new york were all pretty good...

I stayed at 'Jazz On The Park'. http://www.jazzonthepark.com/

It was on the upper west side at the top of central park... it was decent quality and nice people... area wasn't great but the great thing about NY is that the subway is fantastic.. its prompt and there is always loads of trains... so no matter where you stay in NY its very easy to get anywhere in the rest of the city pretty quickly on the subway... I wouldnt worry to much about location....

I also stayed in a place down in the village on 10th St. I think it was... it was also a nice enough place... the people were decent and the place was very secure...

There is loads of hostels all over NY, especially in the village below 10th St....

If you are going on a J1.. the book you get with usit or sayit is very good as it lists a load of hostels and hotels etc...

hope you have a great time in NY...

• Advertisement
Advertisement