Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What platform do u use for Online Gaming?

Options
  • 25-04-2004 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Just wondering if many people here play online games and on what platforms do they play.
    Also if you do play online what's your favourite/most played games?

On what platform do you play online? 42 votes

PC only
    0% 0 votes
    PS2 only
    73% 31 votes
    XBox only
    2% 1 vote
    PC and PS2
    2% 1 vote
    PC and XBox
    4% 2 votes
    PS2 and XBox
    11% 5 votes
    PC and XBox and PS2
    0% 0 votes
    other
    4% 2 votes
    don't play online
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

not got BB yet, I might invest in PS2 online when I do. I doubt I'll ever pay for Xbox Live tbh, not when it's free on the PC...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Number one is the PC (COD) and number two is the xbox (Project Gotham 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

oops I forgot to say mine.
    I play mainly PS2 but also PC
    PC I only play counter strike and PS2 mainly play midnight club 2 and tony hawks underground and will hopefully get socom soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

PC only. I didn't know you could play the PS2 online. One of the most annoying aspects of playing online in a PC game is the constant slowdown that accompanies this - I use dial-up modem 56kbps. Does anyone here know if using broadban gets rid of that slowdown and do all players involved have to have broadband to avoid this slowdown? Thanks. Oh and BTW in answer to the rest of this question I used to play Cossacks online a lot but the slowdown deterred me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ive been pl;aying games online for many many years since before the internet became as popular as it is in recent years.
    It would be to hard to list the games i play online there are too many alll i know is PC only.
    I dont like consoles except for saga mega drive (best console made) N64 (Goldeneye only)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

arcadegame2004: Broadband (or even isdn) should elimated the "slowdown" (lag?) you mention. That would work for games that rely on dedicated servers like most first person shooters. I dunno how it would affect peer to peer games where you might have 1 modem player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I use thel PC, X-Box and PS2.

BB rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I use a C64 and a SLIP connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

you can play online? :eek::eek:

dont have much time to play online these days. Mostly just LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Love that C64, my game should be loaded by the time I get home from collage though. Cant wait..

PC, only PC. Cant stand the crappy graphics on PS2. Sure they were good 5 or 6 years ago but they look pants at the moment. Particularly when you see the Battlefield: Modern Combat for PS2 screenshots and compare them to Battlefield 1942/Vietnam or even Battlefield 2. Hopefully when Battlefield comes out on the XBox it will look at least half decent. PC advantage to constanly have better looking and improved games each year beats consoles all the time. Also lets not forget the ability for patches to fix any bugs and also provide new maps/weapons etc. to the game.

PC's flexability is a lot better.

• Advertisement

The agrument about graphics is fairly lame. Good games are about gameplay imo. When it comes to FPS games the PC wins hands down mainly because this is where great graphics and smooth gameplay make all the difference for gameplay and also the mouse keyboard controls (u can still use USB keyboard + mouse on a few FPS games for consoles). When it comes to other games though i fully believe the console versions are more fun because of the controls and ease of use. With a console game you just put the game in and ur up and playing with ease with the knowledge that your game will work.Plus you generally sit in a comfy chair/couch when on a console. Not only this the consoles have voice coms as standard(xbox does and ps2 pretty much standard) which greatly improves the experience. Also the cost of playing online is ALOT cheaper with consoles.

The consoles allow people a much a better range and styles of games to play online and allow for more types of gamers to play besides people who are dedicated to their PCs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Lets not turn this into a console fanboys vs PC fanboys debate.

Edit: but how is it "a lot" cheaper to play online with consoles? You pay the same amount to your ISP no matter what you're using, and with things like xbox live you've gotta pay your sub for that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by DrEvil
    The agrument about graphics is fairly lame. Good games are about gameplay imo. When it comes to FPS games the PC wins hands down mainly because this is where great graphics and smooth gameplay make all the difference for gameplay
    :confused:

pc for fps's & rts's, consoles for everything else tbh

ye sorry don't won't to start a PC v console war.

i forgot about rts games there good for pc too.

for people that are curious about going online with your console. If you already have broadband and a ps2 you should go online as there's only an intial setup cost of around €30/35 and if you have and xbox and are into games i think the subscription is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

winters, thats such a sad reason to discount consoles; graphics.

graphics don't make games good they only help the experience. 5 minutes into battlefield it won't matter if your monster pc is displaying the bump mapping when i've just run you over in my tank. gameplay gameplay gameplay.

Me: PC only, i'd never touch consoles mainly cause i can't afford them/don't see the point of em when Im lucky enough to have a pc. +Between my friends I've access to the main reason to play consoles, to all sit around playing 4 player mario kart or some such.

that said, online gaming on any platform coupled with a decent game is some of the best fun you can have & im glad consoles are finally getting going on this properly.

Advertisement