Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orbital announce split

Options
  • 25-04-2004 6:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

big up orbital, they made some of the most emotional soulful music ever and they were absolutely brilliant live. this is the end of an era.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertai...sic/3652435.stm

Dance band Orbital announce split

Seminal 90s band Orbital have announced they are splitting after 15 years.

Brothers Paul and Phil Hartnoll said their forthcoming Blue album would be their last record and their final live show will be at Glastonbury in June.

"I think we feel that Orbital has run its course. We've been pursuing different avenues with our music," said Paul Hartnoll on the band's website.

Orbital were famed for their live performances which often included ambitious laser displays.

Music magazine Q described their 1994 Glastonbury appearance as one of the 50 greatest live shows of all time.

"It's nice to know that we're finishing, it's not many bands that do that. They tend to just fade away. And it's nice to have our last gig at Glastonbury," said Hartnoll.

The brothers said they wanted to go out on a high.

Moving on

"It's gonna be a party set, a best of Orbital. We're not gonna sit there and try and promote the new album. I think if we're gonna do a last gig we should do a distilled set of all the best stuff we've done, " said Paul Hartnoll.

He also said he and brother Phil had had enough of being stuck in a studio together.

"We've been sat, as brothers, in the same room for 15 years now - and the studios are always confined spaces - I think it's time for a change."

The band's first single, Chime, entered the top 20 in April 1990 and they went on to release six albums.

Their seventh effort, The Blue Album, will be released on 21 June.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That's quite sad indeed... They've certainly made some good music in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Originally posted by [cm]tyranny
    Brothers Paul and Phil Hartnoll said their forthcoming Blue album would be their last record and their final live show will be at Glastonbury in June.

"It's nice to know that we're finishing, it's not many bands that do that. They tend to just fade away. And it's nice to have our last gig at Glastonbury," said Hartnoll.

Are they not supposed to play Oxygen in July?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

i wouldnt know mate... but i know orbital fans who count themselves lucky to have gotten tickets off ebay for £250.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

****:(
    they're one group that i wish i'd gotten round to seeing live. 'out there somewhere' on the first (?) satan live cd is still one of my favourite chillout tunes ever.

i can't remember which brother played at homelands 2000... that set was pretty much the highlight of the day for me, so them breaking up isn't neccesarily a bad thing.

i'll definitely be procuring a copy of their final set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nobby79

Well that is bad news, saw them in the point around 98 and they were sublime, mixing the doctor who theme tune with bonnie tyler. A truly wacky moment which provided some of the most confused looking mongos i've ever seen. Their stand out tracks like satan, fluffy clouds, the box and the girl with the sun in her head were mind blowing. Thanx 4 the tunes Orbital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Originally posted by nobby79
    Well that is bad news, saw them in the point around 98 and they were sublime, mixing the doctor who theme tune with bonnie tyler. A truly wacky moment which provided some of the most confused looking mongos i've ever seen.

If memory serves, they played with Carl Cox that night and decided to let him go on last, after they saw the clientel. It was skanger heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 nobby79

Yeah thats right, i think green velvet were there too, or else that was an underworld gig shortly after, what a live act though. Yeah the clientele were a special bunch right enough, as always, mind you get meet some top people and you meet some numbskulls. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Originally posted by nobby79
    fluffy clouds, .

little fluffy clouds was by the orb.... beautiful piece of music though!

Advertisement