Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Umm IOL cap breakable?

• 25-04-2004 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

OK I'm on the IOLBB Plus package - so I'd say what I'm going to say applies to that package only - I think IOL stop enforcing your cap at the end of the month. If there are 4-5 days to go in the month I think IOL ignore your cap. I'm basing this on the fact that for the last two months - since the "premium" package has come into being - my cap usuage calculator has stoped increasing late in the month. So last month I was stuck at 1 day to go with 15.14GB for the last 3 days of the month; in those 3 days I got 1.5GB-2GB of downloading done, I was not kicked off. As of today my cap is stuck at 14.57GB with one day to go; this is only since yesterday so I have only grabbed 700MB or so since then - by the end of the day I should have broken the cap.

Again just like last month that figure 14.57GB and that day warning (1 day left) has NOT changed; I'm thinking that IOL "ignore" the Plus costumers breaking the cap at the end of the month. If anyone else has 'stuck' usuage calculators please post the details, if it still works that may be because you are not getting any usuage warnings. The calc resets at the begining of the month as usual.......I'll keep downloading for the next 4 days and see how far I can go. I'll keep you guys updated;).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Have you actually disconnected since you "broke" the cap? try to disconnect and reconnect and see if you're let :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You get your IP address changed every night by IOL, that's when you calc is updated, last month on the last day I was disconnecting and reconnecting constantly trying to get my usuage calc to update. It just refused it was the same for 3 days in a row and today it's the same (I just rechecked). Disconnecting has no affect:confused:, nothing changes so the more this happens the more I become convinced that us Plus ppl are given leeway at the end of the month.

UPDATE:
    Cap still shows 1 day and 14.87Gb downloaded(a mistake above) I have downloaded over 1.5GB since the freezing. So the cap is well and truly broken, I'm going to keep on downloading through the night and I'll see how far I can go before I'm kicked off :D. I believe the 16GB is the soft cap the hard cap may be around the 20GB mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Mine is 14.86 and is still updating.

Mine is still stuck at 14.87GB and 1 day - and I have been downloading all night long..... I'm still on the net:confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

OfflerCrocGod have u tried turning off and then back on your modem, I did this and it updated my usage page.... I've now broken the cap :/

Yep - anyway it happens during the night when your IP is changed - I turned it off just this morning. Well I'll see how far I can go:D.

Oh well I was wrong my cap usage calc is updating I have grabbed about 2.5GB of stuff and my meter shows 14.87GB and 2 days to go:D. The usage is not going up!!! :p. Sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'm at about 13.85gig (damn anime !) there appears to be no warning on the usage screen, estimating days before disconnect like before ?

That's because you have 2GB left to use in 3 days you are not going to break the cap if you keep on going at the rate that you are going.......so get downloading damn it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Mine hasn't updated since :

Last Login Wed Apr 7 03:17:19 2004

Which is a bummer as I have no idea how much I've shifted since then! I even stopped everything last night to see if it would update (it had been connected 24x7 since the 7th).

Guess I'll keep going and see if I get cut off before the end of the month.

BigMoose phone up IOLBB service and ask them to unstick your calc usage - the figures not changing for days and weeks on end is a known problem - just explain that your usage is not being show and it's stuck. It happened to me, I though that maybe that's what is happening to me right now but my amount downloaded is not updating the days are being updated.....so:confused:. Anyway by tonight I should hit 20GB so I may not be here 2morrow if my guess about the real cap is correct :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

You do realise that in the terms and conditions IOL have reserved the right to charge you for everything over the cap -

"If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB)
    "

so if you did hit 20 gigs that'd be 4,000 gigs over the cap X 3c = 120euro.

I know no one has reported being charged yet, but it'd be nasty to get caught if they decide to start.

Originally posted by alb
    You do realise that in the terms and conditions IOL have reserved the right to charge you for everything over the cap
    I know but I asked about it and all the monkeys (and a tech guy from the business) on the phones all said they were just going to continue on their present path of kicking you off once you when over the cap + the leeway which is about 18% of cap. So I have now on the 16GB capped service 2.88Gb of extra before I actually get kicked off, which means I wont be here 2morrow:p.

Just to keep all IOLBB ppl updated, my usage meter still shows 14.87GB and now my warning has gone away:confused:. So basically what is happening is that I'm downloading and they seem to be totally oblivious as to the fact that I'm grabbing Gb of stuff....bloody weird but I dont mind :cool:. Let's see if it continues on to next month if so it's the kinda fault/problem I like!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Why do some people insist on drawing attention to themselves? :rolleyes: It's obvious that drones from the major ISP's read these forums.

Advertisement