Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google your journal

Options
  • 25-04-2004 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if anyone that has a journal realises this. I guess now that Google is fairly integrated into boards this means that a greater scope of people have potential access to your journal. For instance, a friend of mine apparently typed "Wizlow's world" into Google and the second hit was my journal. It's something I don't tell people that I have - an online journal, so it was a surprise for her. (of course theres a funny story that carries on from this but I won't digress :D)

So I guess this is just a note to people that have journals, and people that don't have journals I guess. I noticed that if one does a google search for text from a post on boards - it won't give any results. But if one searches for text from a journal entry on boards - it will give google results. Is this a new thing or has it been this way since the journals were set up?

(oh, comments on journal entries aren't googled it seems)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Seems to give results for threads for me although I don't know why it's chosen that particular post...
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22roller+toaster%22&meta=cr%3DcountryIE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Google: like Microsoft is hyped up to be, except it actually can change your day-to-day life, and suppress information

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I think it mainly comes down to the amount of time in which it takes google to register pages into its search field. I had a personal website and I was coming up 3rd in a search, but only after about 4 to 6 months of being online.

Gordon, how long has the journal been online, and how old was the text from boards.ie?

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah that's what it is Sinecure.

It seems to be about 2 weeks. The journal is 2 or 3 weeks old and any newer journals are not included.

I'm going potty.
    (the confused sense of the word potty)

Sorry, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I was looking for a Fast Show scripts site and I put "sminki pinki pussi" into Google (link) and the only link I got was to my journal.

Which was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

GREAT!

Advertisement