Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[OT] GTA3 & Kids

Options
  • 25-04-2004 5:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

My 7yo's mother thinks it's fine for him to keep and play the copy of GTA3 his uncle gave him. I think she's smoking crack. Opinions welcome.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Please turn the above sentence into English that may help?. From what I understand you have a 7 year old child and the mother (your wife?) thinks its OK for him to play GTA3 and you think your wife/life-partner is smoking crack.....:confused:. Well if I were you I'd get your lover to a rehab, would this thread not be better of in Personal Issues?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

No way would i allow a 7 year old play it. Its rated 18s for a heap of very good reasons.
    I certainly wouldnt allow a 7 year old watch an 18 rated film and it is just naive of parents to think that all games are suitable for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Depends on the kid really. But seven is a bit young. Make sure he knows the difference between games and reality.

Get the mother to play the game and see what she thinks of it. Or you play, she watches and run over as many grannies you can find.

LOL, there is nothing wrong with GTA 3 lots of kids play it; whats going to happen to them?:rolleyes:. If there is something wrong in the household then the kids will be screwed up WHATEVER they do/watch/play. Dont no-one link to those idots sueing Rockstar for GTA3 - it's just typical American idiocy.

how could rockstar be sued? it says 18 on the box ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

meh hes hardly going to go out and run people down in a car

whats the harm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm of the opinion that exposure to violent games and movies don't turn kids into psychopaths. At the same time, they may copy some of the behaviour and language in the game - but as stated above, it does depend on the kid. Also bear in mind that as a 7 year old, your kid will be too young to even recognise a lot of the vulgarity of the game. In addition, because much of the violence in GTA3 is very over-the-top, they'll surely realise that it's fantasy.

Still, I'd advise the mother to sit down and play the game - all too often kids are given games by adults who have no idea of the content. Informed decisions, and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

It says 18 on the box means it for 18s only (me reckon some of above posters are below that age ;) )

Adam how is your wife ?...LOL

Kdjac

I'm over 18 - but I played the first GTA when I was a nipper and it didn't effect me one bit *starts twiching*

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    I'm over 18 - but I played the first GTA when I was a nipper and it didn't effect me one bit *starts twiching*

What he said im 19 but got the first gta when it first came out......Havent killed anyone in a gang related drive by shoting yet tbh

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    how could rockstar be sued? it says 18 on the box ffs.
    Welcome to the US of A.

Originally posted by bizmark
    What he said im 19 but got the first gta when it first came out......Havent killed anyone in a gang related drive by shoting yet tbh
    BUT can we TRUST you, eh bizmark?. I personally dont think we can:ninja:.

:D

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    BUT can we TRUST you, eh bizmark?. I personally dont think we can:ninja:.

:D

:ninja: i swear i never killed anyone to rob there car inorder to carry out a punishment beating on a old shop owner for not paying his protection money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Please turn the above sentence into English that may help?
    Anyone else have difficulty understanding the question?
    From what I understand you have a 7 year old child and the mother (your wife?)
    ROFL. Not a conclusion you can draw these days OCG. Lemme see, she's the mommy, I'm the daddy, he lives with her. I doubt she's played the game, and I doubt she supervises him when he's playing it. I'm pretty sure that's all the information you need.
    would this thread not be better of in Personal Issues?.
    I'm looking for the opinions of gamers, do you feel you don't qualify? :)

For the record...
    Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    I'm of the opinion that exposure to violent games and movies don't turn kids into psychopaths.
    I agree 100%, but I'd still be worried that it might cause some kind of psychological damage, particularly in children that are already suffering anxiety. At the most basic level, I'm worried that GTA might be a contributing factor to my boy ending up a shadow-moustache-wielding, baseball-hat-wearing ahab.

Also for the record, I'm not a gamer. That's why I'm asking you guys. Oh, and she's fine KdjaC. Reincarnation is a wonderful thing. She's 97 now though, bless. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

7 is a bit young. A bit too young tbh.
    Its not even half the age on the box.

If your the daddy why dont you supervise?, asking on a games forum is pointless cause the vast majority of ppl will reply saying of course it's OK - we've all played the game and we're all OK!.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd be concerned about the possibility of psychological damage too. I don't know that violent games turn people into ice men[1] and to be honest I don't think they do but it's different when you're talking about someone at 7 who hasn't actually properly formed a moral code in his brain.

Leaving that aside, I wouldn't let a seven year old kid of mine watch Battle Royale or Reservoir Dogs so I can't think of any reason I'd let a wee munchkin of mine play a game which features shooting people, blowing up their cars, having sex with hookers and beating people up for cash.

I'd have been mature enough (perhaps) to deal with it at a far younger age than 18 but certainly not at 7. As far as I'm concerned, her allowing a kid to play GTA3 is plain negligence.

(sorry Adam, you did ask)

[1]Jagged Edge reference for the kiddies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Personally I dont agree at all that games or meida can influence people,I think the kids should be playing it.Let him have his fun-its only a game.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Of course it’s fine. Sure, you have to let him play it, all his friends probably have. It’s just like violent films and TV programs, it’s all fine. [there probably should be a note of a hint of something here]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

My sister "11'' has played GTA 3,vice city,ut2k4,c&c generals and is playing through painkiller atm.Start em' young i say.And i'll tell you if she turns into a crazed killer in another 10 years....stay tuned.:D

CombatCow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

i say you sit the young fella down, and explain to him that this game is fake, that people shouldnt go around hurting ppl etc. lay it on thick. anyway imo he's not goin to get up to much in the game, considering hes 7 he's not goin to get very far/ even do the missions so the most vulgar/horrific parts of the game he mya never see. for the bulk of the game a 7 year old would spend his time driving around the city causing havoc but not doing any real harm. however its just my opinion, and it really is up to you how to handle the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

i agree with weemcd, a 7 year old will just spend his time just driving around smashing into things, he'd probably get bored of it soon enough, but i wouldn't take the chance. There are loads of games suitable for 7 year olds, GTA3 isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The question you really have to ask yourself, is would you feel comfortable with your kid watching an 18s film, or reading some Stephen King books... Because be it Pulp Fiction, or GTA, they're all media that aren't suitable for kids. And with good reason.

Another thing I should ask, is the mother aware of the content of the game? Because it seems she's a little naive towards the subject. You have to be a good parent, and if you think it's going to effect your kid, then you should step in.

Reguardless of the fact that it's a game, it's still media that contains adult themes, and I can understand that there's still notions going around that all games are for kids, so it's up to you to get your point across to the mother. Cartoons used to be for kids, but I don't know a parent today that would let their 7 year old watch South Park, so why should it be any different for games?

At the end of the day it's really up to both of you to make a desicion, and make sure it's the right one. Personally, my parents allowed me to watch some violent films when I was young, like The Terminator or Aliens, but they knew that I understood that they were pure fiction, however they would never let me watch anything that had more "Adult" themes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Ok, while I wouldn't mind letting a 14 year old play GTA3 I definitely wouldn't let a 7 year old. If only cause he'll probably start swearing like a trooper afterwards. Plus the strip clubs he might find...

Sure he'll likely just drive around killing people, but the game IS adult. It's not like the days of Duke3d where you could put on a parental lock so that the lil ones wouldn't see the strippers or hear duke cuss, so I really think you should find a different game for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by sionnach
    i agree with weemcd, a 7 year old will just spend his time just driving around smashing into things, he'd probably get bored of it soon enough, but i wouldn't take the chance. There are loads of games suitable for 7 year olds, GTA3 isn't one of them.
    aye, get him simpsons hit & run or something similar with a suitable age rating...
    the uncle that bought your kid gta3 is an utter dipshit. sounds a lot like my bro:rolleyes:

If your the daddy why dont you supervise?
    Which part of "he lives with his mother" are you having difficulty with OCG?
    asking on a games forum is pointless cause the vast majority of ppl will reply saying of course it's OK - we've all played the game and we're all OK!.
    Seriously, tot up the numbers of pro and con and try that again. And to be perfectly frank I'm not very impressed with the arguments of the people on the "it's ok" side. I'm finding myself wondering if they played the equivalent of GTA when they were younger...

Look at sceptre's post, it's coherent, honest and personal. Now look at your own and the people that agree with you. See any difference?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

heres a suitable replacement, i'm sure both mother and son will love it :)

B00006LELX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Look at sceptre's post, it's coherent, honest and personal. Now look at your own and the people that agree with you. See any difference?
    Mine is short and to the point while on the other hand sceptre's is totally lacking in any sort of proof and is just his personal fellings. Millions have played GTA 3 including my 9yr old cousin and millions have NOT gone on killing sprees - the fact is it's the family that will shape the child if the family is bad the kid will be affected, if the family is a caring one then the child will turn out normal. The fact that your son doesn't have his father around him in his house will probably affect him more then anything in GTA.

Mary-Kate and Ashley turn 18 in six weeks time. I won't be complaining if I'm first on their list...

• Advertisement

Mine is short and to the point while on the other hand sceptre's is totally lacking in any sort of proof and is just his personal fellings. Millions have played GTA 3 including my 9yr old cousin and millions have NOT gone on killing sprees
    Did I say he was going to go on a "killing spree"?
    the fact is it's the family that will shape the child if the family is bad the kid will be affected, if the family is a caring one then the child will turn out normal. The fact that your son doesn't have his father around him in his house will probably affect him more then anything in GTA.
    You may be right. But you're not aware of my circumstances, so I'd thank you not to speculate on them.

adam

Advertisement