Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Router

Options
  • 25-04-2004 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

I have just set up a PC as a router on a network at home.

I am using a 350Mhz PII as the router with three nics in it. Plugged into the Nics are 2 PCs and the Ethernet adaptor from Leap.

I am using Kerio Winroute as the Firewall/Routing Software.

The problem is I have PC1 setup ok. I have the IP settings in NIC1s settings ok. I have it configured as 192.168.10.1

However when I setup the second NIC as 192.168.10.2 (or any other IP in the same range) it kills the connection on PC 1.....what am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Can you use DCHP instead to assign Ip adresses it should be less troublesome. Also do a netstat -a on both client PCs and post the output here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Damn networking.....

Can you tell me how to setup DHCP within Winroute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Would you not be better off using just two NICs in your router - one for Leap and one for your LAN? Plug the LAN NIC into a hub or switch, along with your client PCs, and either manally assign the PCs addresses - easy enough on such a small network - or use DHCP as suggested.

I had a brief encounter with Winroute before moving over to a Linux setup, and that's the way I went. I'm afraid I can't remember how to enable DHCP, but I don't recall it being very difficult.

If you feel like trying something a little different, have a look at Smoothwall, a very user-friendly Linux-based firewall - no Linux experience needed!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I agree with tomk.

Different network interfaces on a router should be on different subnets. That's how the router knows to route traffic between them. For example, the PC I use as an ISDN router has the connection to the ISDN TA (ppp0) with whatever public IP address is assigned when I dial up; an ethernet card (eth0) with the address 192.168.0.1; and a token-ring card (tr0) with the address 192.168.1.1. Both cards have a subnet address of 255.255.255.0, so if a packet arrives on eth0 addressed to 192.168.1.*, the router knows to forward it to tr0, and a packet addressed to any public IP goes to ppp0.

Two NICs, and a switch - it's easier that way. Unless you want a DMZ, in which case three NICs. I also agree that a Linux-based distro is a much better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Smoothwall good, IpCop better. (Same thing really).

Take a 12 year old about half an hour to setup IpCop. (I've tested this).

Get it from:

Here

• Advertisement

Right guys..still having problems here....

I need to run Windows on the router as it is running one small program that I need up 24/7.

Also I have crossover cable run through the wall so I need to use it. I don't want to use a switch.

I have enabled DHCP in the Router. However I am still haveing problems.

I have PC1 working fine, no issues at all.

With PC2 I still won;t connect out...

I have tried setting the NIC on the ROUTER and on the PC2 to autodetect setttings. I have manuallly entered settings on first the Ruoter's NIC and then on the PCs NIC.

Currently on Router Nic :

IP : 192.168.5.5
    Subnet : 255.255.255.0

DNS : 217.67.140.90
    DNS : 194.168.4.100

On PC NIC

IP : 192.168.5.2
    SUBNET : 255.255.255.0

DNS : 217.67.140.90
    DNS : 194.168.4.100

Am I doing something glaringly wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

is pc2 running a firewall (click on network connection to see for sure)

if so it will balls up dhcp in certain cases.

M

Guys, managed to get them both up and running. What I didn;t have was the NIC of the router defined as the default gateway...

easy when you know how....

Thanks everyone for your help!:)

Advertisement