Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse warning for p2p use

• 25-04-2004 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I know bt are known for this in the UK, so i probs should have expected it, but I got a nice friendly phonecall from my isp, esat/bt telling me to uninstall bittorrent. An uncomfortable sounding tech told me they had got an abuse complaint from paramount pictures regarding a movie being distributed from my ip address using that application.

Perhaps just a matter of stopping uploads in the future, but have many others got a similar call?

(this might not be proper forum to discuss the above, if so, soz)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by dam0cles

Perhaps just a matter of stopping uploads in the future, but have many others got a similar call?

If you stop uploading, bittorrent will stop working for you. Simple as that really. And you should update your IP filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I got a slap over the wrist for similar reasons, a while back.

Thanks be to Jaysus,
    (a) it was after "business hours", so me was just the diligent employee going the extra mile at my desk,
    (b) the movie file being uploaded was in no way hairy, it was just killing our bandwith
    (b) the IT head could vouch for the fact that I'd no way of knowing my connection was being used as a "supernode". And I promised to desist forthwith.

Suggest you do the same, and disable uploads (if bittorrent lets you?)

ph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by peckerhead
    I got a slap over the wrist for similar reasons, a while back.

Thanks be to Jaysus,
    (a) it was after "business hours", so me was just the diligent employee going the extra mile at my desk,
    (b) the movie file being uploaded was in no way hairy, it was just killing our bandwith
    (b) the IT head could vouch for the fact that I'd no way of knowing my connection was being used as a "supernode". And I promised to desist forthwith.

Suggest you do the same, and disable uploads (if bittorrent lets you?)

ph

couple of things, thats kazaa or somethign similiar, thats also your job, and the bittorrent network works on uploads, you download speed is dependent on you'r upload speed,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dam0cles

Originally posted by Boston
    And you should update your IP filter.

explain? i'm kinda new when it comes to this stuff.

i'm on the business bb thing, and have a fixed ip, if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Originally posted by dam0cles
    I know bt are known for this in the UK, so i probs should have expected it, but I got a nice friendly phonecall from my isp, esat/bt telling me to uninstall bittorrent. An uncomfortable sounding tech told me they had got an abuse complaint from paramount pictures regarding a movie being distributed from my ip address using that application.

(this might not be proper forum to discuss the above, if so, soz)
    Isn't that what Peer Guardian is supposed to protect you from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

wat i used to do was burn what i had downloaded right after it finished and delete it from my syetem , or else i connected external storage , and disconnected it when i transferred over

you should try protowall, http://bluetack.co.uk/pw.html ,
    but I think its a bit fiddly to setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Smithers
    wat i used to do was burn what i had downloaded right after it finished and delete it from my syetem , or else i connected external storage , and disconnected it when i transferred over

That's how I used to download MP3s in college, straight to my player - but it would still copy to a temp folder (which would take longer than the download sometimes) - I thought I would get caught, but they didn't seem to mind me downloading 72 tracks in the space of 2 and a half weeks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Managed to download about 10gigs of stuff when i was in college at Leicester Uni. It was part of some sort of 3rd level super node thingie so the download speeds were simply awsome....700mb in less than an hour and the like....used bearshare IIRC!

Used to just do it in the evening in my lab as i had a key and then burn stuff to cd....

Eventually got a visit from the College IT services people as i was using up most of their bandwidth one or two nights and i just went to downloading the odd thing here or there.

p

Advertisement