Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What think ye of Nvidia's 6800?

Options
  • 25-04-2004 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests. From what i've been reading its a bit too good to be true. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I'll let you know when I get one :D
    It's a very impressive piece of hardware, considering the relatively low core speed. I doubt if the R420 will beat it in any benchmarks, even titles that currently favour ATi's architecture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

I've loooked for a release date but can't find on, some people saqying the 4th of May. Anyone know if this is true and where can I pre-order one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by Sir Random
    I'll let you know when I get one :D
    It's a very impressive piece of hardware, considering the relatively low core speed. I doubt if the R420 will beat it in any benchmarks, even titles that currently favour ATi's architecture.

Well according to Unofficial ATI R4++ Benchmarks, it would seem that R420 will outperform the 6800. But those are unofficial. Will have to wait till ATI releases an official statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

stupid power requirements :( not gonna get one in my shuttle any time soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by neokenzo
    Well according to Unofficial ATI R4++ Benchmarks, it would seem that R420 will outperform the 6800. But those are unofficial. Will have to wait till ATI releases an official statement.

read the other thread about that, its all based on mathematics and i wouldnt go by any of those charts personally..

i am waiting to see what ati come out with personally... and i dont think the 6800 will be around on the 4th may ? and i cant see it being released one week from today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Have a look at this from The Enquirer.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15556

ATI will seemingly have their boat in the water first.
    Also, lower power consumption means not having to upgrade the PSU, I reckon that point may sway a lot of people away from Nvidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, you'd think a 400W PSU would be sufficient these days, apparently not in nVidia's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

tis the price we have to pay for performance increases, but i'll just bath in the nice blue glow emitted by my 480W antec :)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Adeptus Titanicus

Is it really going to be that strict? Here's me with my shiny new 450w!... Balls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Better Linux drivers than ATI. A winner on that basis alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

well i'll be in a 550wp dual fan, alimun-cased, AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ 2.Ghz 512 cache, dual corsair 512 mb (2-2-2-5 pair). Will it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by patch
    ATI will seemingly have their boat in the water first.
    Also, lower power consumption means not having to upgrade the PSU, I reckon that point may sway a lot of people away from Nvidia.

No it wont not for a second.....Only like 1-2% of people will buy a Uber card like the 6800 and those people buy for bragging rights/performance if they have to get a new Psu to power the mutts nuts of card's they will .

The lower speed nvidia cards wont need 480 watts of power and is what the VAST majority of people will be buying plus seeming they will be based off the 6800 if Ati cant beat the 6800 its unlikely they will beat the lower spec offering in the short term........Nvidia will rule once more

:D.

Originally posted by Havelock
    well i'll be in a 550wp dual fan, alimun-cased, AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ 2.Ghz 512 cache, dual corsair 512 mb (2-2-2-5 pair). Will it work?

yeah it should be fine nice set up in general, i don't think there is much higher then a 550watt jobbie on the market yet for general consumers anyway these days. i know antec have one and i think enermax and i'm sure a few more do.

antec would be a good psu manufacturer to go for. i don't know where you'll get corsairs guranteed to run 2-2-2-5 though

data

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm in two minds about the situation. I have had several nvidia and now Ati Asus 9800xt but performance wise I confess to be a little dissappointed (with the performance improvement over my old card that is) with the card even though I know its the best card until the Geforce 6800 appears and then Ati's X800 pro and XT appear. I am going sell my current card off and get one of these new ones but I actually wish to go for nvidia's card because I'm extremely cheesed off at the slowness of ATI to release 64bit drivers for the trail version of windows xp 64. But I maybe contrained to go for ati. I do have a 480 watt powersupply but I will soon be running a raid setup and I'm unsure weather I will have two separate non shared power leads to connect to the geforce 6800 ultra. ATI are promising on the otherhand to only need 1 and suck out alot less juice out of your power supply. It will probaly come down to which ever has better performance for me. I will wait for non ati or rage benchmarks before deciding. On the plus side for nvidia they will have pixel sharder 3.0 already used in far cry while ati only using there 2.0.

I believe ATI where supurised that pixel shader 3.0 was supported so soon and more comes are coming. Hence nvidia are hailing it at ever turn while ATI are on the back foot. Some say ati will be asking game developer partners to drop it from upcoming titles. In any case full version of windows xp 64 will be released shortly so ATI will have drivers. Maybe I'm harsh on them for wanting drivers for a trail version and there not obligated of coruse, but compard to nvidia its a poor show particularly when I forked out quite abit for at the time there top line card. But at end of day while I prefer to go nvidia (but I may be obligated to go ATI) its the fps there getting in the games that will decide it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Apparently the pci express version of the 6800 ultra will only need one power connector into it,due to the fact that the pci express slot will be able to deliver more power through it.Correct me if im wrong:dunno:

CombatCow

i would think the same amount of power would be delivered to the card though it would just come through the motherboard so you will still need a juicy psu, that will only help if you are short on molex connectors, which if you have the beefy psu to begin with you probalby won't be :)

data

I should be okay for connectors but if less power drain from ATI its a considerable plus for me. Still if the 6800 preforms better in games benchmarks and just about dosen't drain remaining power from the psu I may just look at serge protectors.
    I have been warned that running 2 Raptor hard drives in raid will require cooling. There is plenty of space between them and the case does have fans (albeit very restricted fans) blowing directly at hard drive slots. If they require cooling that could be a further drain on psu and connectors.

i think there is passive hdd coolers you could get, i doubt that what ever you use to cool a hdd would take up much power. i think ati confirmed there new cards will work in shuttles as well which i'm sure will be a plus

data

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

any news on when these will be on the shelves?

ati has been very slow to respond i feel... :(

my antec true power will be fine to do it... suppose i could just use y splitters for the cd-rw/dvd-rw/2hdd's and case fans/lights on case.. ? or will that be putting to much emphasis on the y splitters ?

(case is full of y splitters as it is!

or could you use a y splitter coming from the gfx card and split it between 2? does it actually need 2 SEPARATE ones?

i read somewhere that a few will ship in may but the bulk will come in june

big chief i was of the believe that it does need to seperate ones and that they would prefare if nothing was daisy chained along these two seperate ones. but i suppose you'd get away with some fans or something.

i can't see ya getting away with a y splitter on one molex connector as then if that was the case surely one connector on the card would be sufficient?

data

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by Big Chief
    ati has been very slow to respond i feel... :(

How exactly when we all know full well that there is an announcement due from ATI on the R420 (x800 pro/ultra) any day now?
    Bet there will be less than a couple of months between them when they are both available through normal retail channels. Bet the psu requirements will be more friendly as well.

Pretty much confirm what Dataisgod said. Maybe be able to pick them in May although difficult June is more realistic for both cards.

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    How exactly when we all know full well that there is an announcement due from ATI on the R420 (x800 pro/ultra) any day now?
    Bet there will be less than a couple of months between them when they are both available through normal retail channels. Bet the psu requirements will be more friendly as well.

yeah ati haven't been slow to respond also there time to market will be shorter, so when nvidia is getting there 6800 out in june the r420 will be around and then shortly after that the XT version. also the X800 will be more psu friendly, friendly enough to work in shuttles iirc.

data

Check this link out if you interested in ati cards, megagames best guess.

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/hardware/atix800xt-prodetailsanddates.shtml

Advertisement