Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.25 Gbps Broadband anyone?

• 25-04-2004 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Check this out from Thursdays Guardian:

"Internet Speed freaks

While many computer users have been wondering whether to upgrade their access to the internet from 56 kbps to "broadband" of 512kbps , those nice people at CERN in Switzerland (whose former employee Sir Tim Berners-Lee brought us the world wide web in the first place) have just broken the world land speed record.

In association with the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), they have transferred data across nearly 11,000 kilometres at an average speed of 6.25Gbps. That is nearly 10,000 times faster than a typical home computer and means that you could transmit the entire contents of Google's new giant mailbox (one gigabyte) in not much more than a single second. Don't try asking BT for a connection of that speed just yet. "

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Didn't they need a particle accellerator to get that to work? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I remember a test like this being done about a year ago. maybe a bit less - but I heard nothing at all about it again - *shrug*

I want it though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Even RealPlayer's buffering could be down to an acceptable amount of time at that speed.

Possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

This is the record for IPv4 transmission. They set the IPv6 record at somewhere around 4.5Gbps before christmas and an older holder of the IPv4 one shortly beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if it could be used by everyone, they could theoretically make the interweb completely decentralised, and then it would mean that unless something really bad happened, it would never be completely offline. if you get my meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by vibe666
    if it could be used by everyone, they could theoretically make the interweb completely decentralised, and then it would mean that unless something really bad happened, it would never be completely offline. if you get my meaning.

It doesn't work like that, what you're thinking of wouldn't work with the way the internet is currently designed for a number of reasons.

Advertisement