Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

network Problem

Options
  • 25-04-2004 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

About a month ago,i got a new pc and i wanted to hook up my old one and new one,using two network cards and crossover cable.One system had Win98se and the other xp,I was settin the host as the xp and client as 98 but i used the ics program, used manual set up did it about ten times over and changed the client and host but it would work,,i managed to set it up for 30seconds got a file transfered over and when i restarted it wouldnt work,The cables and two network cards work perfectly?i know is crap but any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

What you need to is make sure that the IP addresses of the 2 machines are in the same subnet.

To do this, go to the network properties of each network card, and on the XP machine give it a 192.168.0.1 IP address. On the Win98 machine, do the same, but give it a 192.168.0.2 IP address.

Now, you should test your setup by trying to ping each machine from each other. Just type 'ping <ip address>' (without quotes) in a command prompt on each machine

From the Win98 machine you would type 'ping 192.168.0.1' & from the Win XP machine you would type 'ping 192.168.0.2'.

After this works successfully, your machines are networked together.

HTH,
    Colm.

Advertisement