Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining Files

Options
  • 26-04-2004 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hey, gonna keep this short and sweet. I know its not quite Windows, but anyway...

I'm trying to join several parts of a file together into one one single file because of a maximum file size on a server.
    To do this, I'm using DOS within windows 2000, with the command:
    type *.* > (output file)
    Now usually this works fine, but sometimes the output file ends up twice the size it should.
    e.g Joining 2 x 256Mb files leaves me with a single 1Gig file.
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

What file system are you using?

type *.* > myFile.txt is literally echoing the contents and piping them to the text file. This shouldn't result in a 4x increase in the file size.

Are you sure that no other files are sneaking into the myFile.txt output file?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

'course if the file is twice as big - maybe you are copying the temp file to itself - direct the O/P to a different folder

md folder
    type *.* > folder\bigfile

copy /b file1.ext + file2.txt + file3.csv bigfile.tmp

your way of copying will only copy files that can be displayes on screen - ie. no end of file characters.
    copy/b allow you to concatonate into one zip file when you get them spread over a few floppies etc. msbackup in Dos 5 etc. will split a file over several disks - no compression, just rename it and use copy/b to join the bits together

ps. use FC to verify what you get is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

OK, thanks both for the replies, I'll give what you suggested a whirl and report back. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    What file system are you using?

I'm using NTFS. Sorry, I missed that before.

Advertisement